Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 06:55

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default An excellent article.... (and an update on my progress)

I found this link on the BFL board, the article is intended for BFLers but there is a section included about how the body gains and loses fat. It is amust read for anyone who is working out but struggling to lose weight.

http://www.hussman.org/fitness/#inside

I posted alot of this info in another thread here but i will rehash it incase people didnt happen to read that post.

I have been on CKD for 5 1/2 weeks now. I am very happy with the progress of my workouts. I am getting stronger, my cardio endurance is increasing too. BUT i am not seeing the weight loss that i had hoped for. I have dropped 10 pounds in 5 weeks with most of that being in the first 2 weeks. My measurements have not changed significantly in that time frame either. I dont have fat calipers so i cant check it accurately. I was starting to second guess this plan and its effectiveness for me. I was starting to think of ways to change it - like only carb loading every two weeks.

Then i happened upon the link to that article on the BFL board. I read the section about how the body stores and uses fat. The author described me perfectly. I bust my butt in the gym, stick to my diet plan but am not seeing results. Things that I have noticed are that my arms and legs are much more "solid" than when i started and i am experiencing the "jelly belly". Sure the kids think it is neat but i didnt unitl i realized that it was a good thing.

That article gave me a new outlook on my progress, and has given me renewed enthusiasm. He says that it may take people 5 weeks or more to see results. Interstingly enough this is my 6th week of CKD and so far this week i have dropped 4 pounds - my best week by far. Hopefully this signals that i have turned the corner and i am going to see improved results as long as i stick to my plans.

For anyone have problems losing weight please keep your chin up and read that article, hopefully it can help you too.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 10:55

Plan: bodyopus
Stats: 212/196/185
BF:15%
Progress: 59%
Thumbs up Good work Big Dog

Even if your mesurement dont change that doenst mean you havent lost fat, if you weight train there is a good chance that you are gaining some muscles.

You seem to be a pertty big guy so you will be able to maintain your muscle mass, and still look big with the weight gone.

Many people i have know tried atkins and ketogenic diet, they have gained the weight back but then again this will happen on any diet, if you eat too much even good things the weight will come back.

I did the protein diet once in 1998 and went from 205 to 174 in less then 3 months ( i really lost a lot of muscle mass), still i gained it back because i started eating has hell, damn the pizza parlor add a special of 2 for 9.99$, medium size all dressed, didnt take long when you eat 2 in one night to get the weight back.

Still if your careful at least during the week on weekends you can eat almost all you want, even better by behing stick for the week you might even lose the hurge on weekends and shake some bad habits, mine is sugar.

Good luck great article BTW
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 11:06

Plan: bodyopus
Stats: 212/196/185
BF:15%
Progress: 59%
Thumbs up Well the carb up didnt do any bad actually i feel good and did an hour + training

I started everything with a cappucino and a 4 cookies, then moved on to 2 candy bars with another cappucino, then a muffin, at night some candy gummy bears and all.

After all of this i havent even gain back a pound, well to bad back to low carb and on route to ketoland.

Today i started again with bacon and eggs, then the topping of the pizza i add last night, and 2 cheese stick with zreo g of carbs.

I add to get to the gym to burn some glycogen, so

6 sets of bench press
6 sets of incline press
6 sets of flyes

6 sets of db press
4 sets of laterals

5 sets of triceps extension well thats a total of 33 sets, i didnt lift that heavy, i just lifted and felt the muscles working.

Now tonight i will go for a walk with my girlfriend, i guess that if i am lucky and can fit in another weight training regiment like this maybe Friday because i trained on Monday i can be in ketosis by Saturday.

Now depending on what i will be doing this weekend i might stay in ketoland and carb up only next week or so.

God i hope i feel good, when i reach ketosis i do feel great, i see some more cardio coming my way.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 169/166/145
BF:
Progress: 13%

BigDog

Just want to say a quick thank you for the link to an excellent article. I have been struggling with lc since May and have decided to implement some of the things suggested in this article.

Claudia