Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 252/248.5/165
BF:49%/40%/20%
Progress: 4%
Unhappy Mental Sharpness

Well folks, here I am on my eighth day of induction.. I truly believe what success I have had is because of the support and advice I get from all of you (i.e. drink a pool full of water... beer can wait.. flax oil, mister )

Had a bit of a hiccup this morning.. I've been going through the usual mental muddyness thing that you go through for the first few days of induction, and I though it would pass by now (8th day).. I got up this morning and I was feeling really low energy, mentally drained and just blah

I really started to get concerned.. I have a tough day today.. lots of mental and physical effort (I'm a financial analyst.. lots of calculations and running to three meetings). After my initial freak-out I decided to run to the drugstore and buy some Ginko Biloba and Ginseng. I took some of this stuff and my malaise seemed to pass..

My question to you.. dear folks.. is what else can I do to get my mental acuity back.. it is important to me and I can't continue in this mental haze I seem to be in..

Anybody have any comments/answers?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 14:19
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I have good news and good news....

The good news is that at the very most, these symptoms should only last a day or two longer.

The other good news is that if you take a potassium supplement and make sure you're drinking AT LEAST 64 oz of water per day, you'll feel a lot better sooner than that. That's usually the culprit since you're shedding a bunch of water your potassium levels might be depleted. Take 200-400 mg. per day (assuming your NOT on any blood pressure medications) until you're feeling better.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 17:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Your body might be telling you it needs more carbs. How many are you eating a day? Are you getting enough protein? When glucose is needed for various reasons excess protein can be converted and used by the body - the process is called gluconeogensis and it is done under the influence of glucagon (i.e. insulin is not present and no fat storage takes place)

If you can try to include some protein with every meal you eat you should notice an improvement in your thinking - assuming of course that this is the problem Regardless, you will feel better and you'll suffer much less from cravings by including protein with every meal.

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 20:45
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 252/248.5/165
BF:49%/40%/20%
Progress: 4%
Talking Thanks!

Thank you both for your excellent advice.. I purchased some potassium supplements and it has seemed to do the trick.

Nat, I have a protein shake in the morning and protein of some sort with every meal.. thanks for your comments.

Christian
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 11:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/181/145
BF:
Progress: 39%

If you had a lot of caffeine or drank coffee you can have a lot of mental confusion and problems for a couple of weeks. You may even feel like you cannot function. Withdrawal.