Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 14:50

Plan: Low Carb Diets
Stats: 240/200/165 Female 5'10" 1/2
BF:
Progress: 53%
Cool Hair Loss from PCOS

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop the hair loss on my head and the hair growth on my chin/neck? I am a Melanoma Patient and would prefer to not take the birth control pill.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

Michele

ALWAYS wear your sunscreen...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-05, 09:15

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

If you have PCOS you are probably making too much testosterone which can be a result of insulin resistance.

Improve your insulin resistance and you will likely see improvement in the hair growth, but it can take months to a year to see it. The low carb diet works well and so does metformin, but as you lose weight and get the insulin resistance under control, you may have to go off it (I did - I got hypoglycemic from being too sensitive to the insulin my body put out). Also exercise! That improves insulin sensitivity.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-05, 09:18

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

By the way, for anyone considering Birth Control - did you know that can make isnulin resistance worse? NOW they tell me that after being on them for 20 years.

I went off them, did a year long course of metformin, exercised a lot and I'm trying to get the processed foods completely out of my diet. I still have some weight to lose, but my PCOS symptoms are nearly gone at this point.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-05, 21:31

Plan: Low Carb Diets
Stats: 240/200/165 Female 5'10" 1/2
BF:
Progress: 53%

Thanks so much. I have been dieting and I exercise a lot. It actually seems to have gotten a bit worse. I am on Metformin and feel that it is working for me. My hair is getting SO thin, I was wondering if there were supplements or something else I should be doing. Hopefully I will get to a comfortable weight loss and all of this ISH will go away.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 09:38

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

Good question. I am interested in the answer to this too.

Jimsbride
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 11:06

Plan: PSMF, cycling diet
Stats: 198/198/159 Female 5ft6
BF:43/
Progress: 0%

The reason the anti-androgen birth control works is that it stops the testosterone at the receptor points and decreases the amount of sebum in the skin and hair follicles

Recent research in Japan has found that most people complain of greasy hair up to 12 months before they start to shed (the sebum blocks the follicles and the testosterone also causes problems) so anyone with greasy hair and PCOS should consider taking supplements to prevent hair loss.

Saw Palmetto works on testosterone levels and also helps with extra hair/hair thinning. Licorice is also supposed to be really good - I have just started licorice so I don't know whether it will work for me or not yet.

Some people find using Natural Progesterone Cream helps them too.

Eating sufficient protein really helps with new hair growth and also ensuring you are getting enough blood supply to the scalp - you can do this by massaging your scalp when you wash your hair or lying with your feet higher than your head for 10 minutes each day (helps your leg veins too )

Nettle hair rinse is also supposed to be good - boil some nettles in water; drain and refridgerate and use as a final rinse on your hair.

Brewers Yeast and taking B Vitamins can help - apparently if you take Met you can be deficient in B Vitamins and a lack of those can cause hair loss. Silica/horsetail are also supposed to be good for creating quality hair.

HTH
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 09:45

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 277/253/165 Female 5'9
BF:

I know this is old, but Biotin, MSM or ShenMin vitamins have helped greatly in growing hair.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eehgads
Thanks so much. I have been dieting and I exercise a lot. It actually seems to have gotten a bit worse. I am on Metformin and feel that it is working for me. My hair is getting SO thin, I was wondering if there were supplements or something else I should be doing. Hopefully I will get to a comfortable weight loss and all of this ISH will go away.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins starting Saturday
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hair loss/dry hair

Howdy all!

I too, suffer from hair loss (have PCOS and am in surgically enhanced menopause ~ 32).

Right now, I am on Proscar, Spiro (which I am convinced is actually giving me facial hair), and biotin. I've stopped MSM, but I should really get back on it. I just started taking Bamboo herbs as well.

Nothing is working so far and my hair is SO FREAKIN' DRY - it's insane.

I take all the oils too...and nadda helps. Saw Palmetto turns my face into an oil slick. Any ideas as to really good shampoo/conditioners?

I use Nioxin and plan to stop, as it does not help and contributes to the dryness.

Also - what dosage of Biotin and MSM are y'all taking?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 11:43

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 277/253/165 Female 5'9
BF:

I just take a multi-vitamin. The MSM made me break out and so did the biotin.

I used this project called Surge Revitalizer 14. It's marketed towards AA or kinky hair types, but it's a wet product so it can be sprayed on your hair after you wash and before you dry or blow dry. (Assuming that you are caucasian or have straight hair)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 128/128/122 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

try a shampoo w sulfur in it if u suffer from hair loss and itchy scalp...it only helped a little w itchy scalp...but GREATLY w my hair loss...the one i use is t tree plantation thursday shampoo