Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 13:06
Lowcarber for life!

Plan: I wish I knew!
Stats: 248/224/168 Male 66 inches
BF:104%
Progress: 30%
Default Pany finally went to the gym!!!!

Hello everybody!

I finally got my butt in gear and went to the gym!!! I will update everyday with my excercise, however much or little I do!!!

Thursday 22nd September

20 minute walk from train station to work.

60 minute walk along the river at lunch time

AT THE GYM

5 minutes on the X-Trainer (I need to build this to 20 mins)
3 sets of 10 Leg Press
3 sets of 10 Leg Extensions
3 sets of 10 Chest Press
3 sets of 10 Chest Pull?
3 sets of 10 Some other chest machine?
3 sets of 10 Rope Pull
3 set of 15 ab crunches
8 minutes run (I tried for 10 but I had lots of pain in my sides so had to stop at 8 mins)
Stretching

20 minute walk home (why get the bus when I can walk and get more excercise!)

So about 90 minutes in the gym and 100 minutes walking.

And that's my 1st ever gym log!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 13:29

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Nice Job Pany!!! And welcome to the world of Gym Logging! You are going to feel sooooo goooood about yourself doing these workouts and walks. And the results are going to give you the confidence that you have never known!

Fantastic Workout Pany, and Congratulations on that and the Gym Log.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU AS ALWAYS
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 13:48
I KNOW I CAN!!!

Plan: A combo of a few
Stats: 208/172/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Woohoo Pany. Wait until Debbie gets a load of this!!! She'll be so proud. I'm very proud of you. Great job!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 14:10
Lowcarber for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabByFifty
Nice Job Pany!!! And welcome to the world of Gym Logging! You are going to feel sooooo goooood about yourself doing these workouts and walks. And the results are going to give you the confidence that you have never known!

Fantastic Workout Pany, and Congratulations on that and the Gym Log.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU AS ALWAYS
Brenda

Thanks for the kind words Brenda! If it helps with the confidence, I'll go everyday!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara73
Woohoo Pany. Wait until Debbie gets a load of this!!! She'll be so proud. I'm very proud of you. Great job!!
Thanks for the kind words Tinky Winky! I hope Debbie is proud, she inspired me to go to the gym.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 14:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

ALRIGHT PANY!!!! I'm so glad to see this. What a wonderful birthday present for me!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-05, 14:22
Lowcarber for life!

Thanks alot Debbie!!

I half changed my mind a few times. My journey to the gym from work usually takes 45 minutes. This time it took 1 hour 50 minutes!! And I had to change buses at the bus stop 200 feet from my house!! I was so tempted to just go home! But I thought to myself "No, Debbie would be disappointed in me". So I went to the gym!!

Thanks alot Debbie, you are a true inspiration!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:08

BF:

Just checking to see how it went today. I'll check back later. I want details.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-05, 13:17
Lowcarber for life!

Monday 26th September

25 minute walk from train station to work.

60 minute walk along the river at lunch time

AT THE GYM

5 minutes on the X-Trainer (I need to build this to 20 mins)
3 sets of 10 Leg Press
3 sets of 10 Leg Extensions
3 sets of 10 Chest Press
3 sets of 10 Shoulder Press
3 sets of 10 cant remember the name. Annoyed now! basically sitting down and start with weights high and then you pull them down?
3 sets of 10 Rope Pull
3 set of 15 ab crunches
12 minutes run (I walked half of it, had bad pains in my side)
Stretching

25 minute walk home (why get the bus when I can walk and get more excercise!)

So about 60 minutes in the gym and 110 minutes walking.

I'm a little concerned how quickly I got out of there. Maybe I went too fast? Too quick between sets, using machines too fast? I'm not sure really.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-05, 15:50

BF:

Quote:

cant remember the name. Annoyed now! basically sitting down and start with weights high and then you pull them down?

Sounds like lat pulldowns. http://www.shapefit.com/back-exerci...-pulldowns.html

Usually 40-60 seconds between sets is about right if you're not going too heavy. You got plenty of cardio in. I see you're still doing it BEFORE weights. You know my feelings about that, so I won't say anymore about it. Except for this, if you're doing it for a warm up.....all the walking you do before you ever get to the gym is PLENTY of "warm-up." Now I won't say anymore about it. Unless I think of something else I feel is necessary .
Lookin' good Pany.

http://www.shapefit.com/training.html incase you can't remember the names of something else, this is a good site.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-05, 02:56
Lowcarber for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
That's the one, thanks Debbie.

Quote:
Usually 40-60 seconds between sets is about right if you're not going too heavy. You got plenty of cardio in. I see you're still doing it BEFORE weights. You know my feelings about that, so I won't say anymore about it. Except for this, if you're doing it for a warm up.....all the walking you do before you ever get to the gym is PLENTY of "warm-up." Now I won't say anymore about it. Unless I think of something else I feel is necessary .
But I did 17 minutes of cardio, only 5 were before weights. I got the train straight from work and did no walking at all before! I walked for 60 minutes but that was 2 hours before I went to the gym. Surely I need some cardio? You don't think I need any?
Quote:
[url="http://www.shapefit.com/training.html"]http://www.shapefit.com/training.html incase you can't remember the names of something else, this is a good site.
Thanks for the link and the excellent advice Debbie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-05, 03:00
Lowcarber for life!

One thing that bothers me is the shoulder press. I have to stop after about 6 reps. Then after reducing the weight to practically nothing, I was still unable to complete a set without stopping. I'm fine with the pulldowns but the shoulder press (which is a similar movement) is hard with even just a 3rd of the weight. Are my shoulders that weak?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-05, 03:45

BF:

Quote:
Surely I need some cardio? You don't think I need any?
I just think you are getting plenty with all the walking you're doing. If you want to do 5 mins. of cardio to get going once you get to the gym, that's fine. You said you got in 110 mins. of walking yesterday.....that's a great deal of cardio. I know in your ever day life you do a LOT of walking, so I just don't think cardio is a big issue for you. My point is that you don't need to be depleted when it comes weight training time.

Are you using a machine for shoulder presses? I think you are. Is it painful in your shoulder? Or are you just saying you give out....you're weak there?
After a couple of weeks, I hope you get started on free weights. And a different routine. You are working arms in a secondary manner, so not a good work-out for them. And next time, do your shoulder exercise after your back. Always biggest to littlest muscles. Shoulders and arms come in last.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-05, 03:52

BF:

Quote:

One thing that bothers me is the shoulder press. I have to stop after about 6 reps. Then after reducing the weight to practically nothing, I was still unable to complete a set without stopping. I'm fine with the pulldowns but the shoulder press (which is a similar movement) is hard with even just a 3rd of the weight. Are my shoulders that weak?

Pulldowns and shoulder presses are not similar. Pulldowns are incorporating those big back muscles and biceps mostly. Shoulder presses are incorportating those little MUCH weaker deltoids. Everyone has to go much lighter on shoulders. And what you DON'T want to do is hurt your shoulders. They will put you out of commission if you do. So listen to them for any pain that isn't fatigue-type pain. And readjust or pick another exercise, or stop working them for the day.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-05, 09:09
Lowcarber for life!

Quote:
I just think you are getting plenty with all the walking you're doing. If you want to do 5 mins. of cardio to get going once you get to the gym, that's fine. You said you got in 110 mins. of walking yesterday.....that's a great deal of cardio. I know in your ever day life you do a LOT of walking, so I just don't think cardio is a big issue for you. My point is that you don't need to be depleted when it comes weight training time.
That a very good point Debbie. I think I just go straight for a quick warm up as it's just 2nd nature for me when I go to the gym. I will try to go straight to weights!
Quote:
Are you using a machine for shoulder presses? I think you are. Is it painful in your shoulder? Or are you just saying you give out....you're weak there?
I think I am just very week. I just am unable to finish the reps as my arms just wont go any higher, even with very light weight.
Quote:
After a couple of weeks, I hope you get started on free weights. And a different routine. You are working arms in a secondary manner, so not a good work-out for them. And next time, do your shoulder exercise after your back. Always biggest to littlest muscles. Shoulders and arms come in last.
I thought I was! What would you change round?

Thanks for all the help Debbie!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-05, 09:20
Lowcarber for life!

Quote:
Pulldowns and shoulder presses are not similar.
I'm sorry! You smartass!!
Quote:
Pulldowns are incorporating those big back muscles and biceps mostly. Shoulder presses are incorportating those little MUCH weaker deltoids. Everyone has to go much lighter on shoulders. And what you DON'T want to do is hurt your shoulders. They will put you out of commission if you do. So listen to them for any pain that isn't fatigue-type pain. And readjust or pick another exercise, or stop working them for the day.
I didn't realise, they seem like practically identical excercises. Maybe my seat was too low and I was stretching? Thanks for the excellent advice as usual!