Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 21:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

I have had this problem hypothyroid since I was 9 and been on medication. I have learnt more in this forum them I have in my whole life.
Thank you
I am on coconut oil now and have been for 7 days my temp has gone up 1 point and I am also taking maca. I can't tell how much better it has made me feel this week as I have the flu and now my voice has gone. This is the third day with no voice. Usually I would be sitting around but I still appear to have energy and don't want to lie down and feel sick with it. So maybe it is helping a lot more then I realize.
Ceers Delia
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Low carb
Stats: 157/135/130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 81%

Is anyone taking coconut oil in gelcaps? I just purchased Emerald Laboratories Virgin Coconut oil gelcaps from GNC. I'll let you know how they work. By the way, my rising body temps have been around 96.5. Thyroid levels low side of normal.
  #123   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:06

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Wow - I didn't know you could get VCO in gelcaps. I find it hard to eat the actual oil to the recommended doses - cos much as I like coconut, it gets a bit much if you can never get away from it! However, I wonder how fresh gelcaps would keep the oil, considering other oils deteriorate and go rancid fairly quickly. I will have to check this one out in my local GNC.

How many gelcaps per day are prescribed?
  #124   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 04:29

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy131
Wow - I didn't know you could get VCO in gelcaps. I find it hard to eat the actual oil to the recommended doses - cos much as I like coconut, it gets a bit much if you can never get away from it! However, I wonder how fresh gelcaps would keep the oil, considering other oils deteriorate and go rancid fairly quickly. I will have to check this one out in my local GNC.

How many gelcaps per day are prescribed?

Yeah, I wouldn't trust gelcaps either.. Although other oils come in gelcaps..

I know you can buy kits to make your own gelcaps, but I wouldn't want to fill a capsule every day either.
  #125   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 00:21

Plan: ?
Stats: ?/?/? Female ?
BF:
Progress:

Hello! im new, and need help!!!!!
Ive just been researching this coconut oil thing and it sounds great. I went to my health food store and bought a bottle straight away. Ive been taking it for 3 days now, however i realised that it had no taste and no smell. I read the label and it said it has been refined bleached and deodarised. I then tried to research if this type of oil still would heklp you loose weight, but i couldnt find any info! I hope this stuff will still help my thyroid because its the only oil available here. Does anyone know if RBD oils still help you loose weight like virgin coconut oil? Please if anyone knows it would help me so much and take away alot of stress worying about it!!!!
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 00:23
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It should still do the trick. The thing in coconut oil that works is the medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). Research MCT oil on google for more info on this.

Unless the coconut oil was HYDROGENATED, you're fine.

#127   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 22:54

Plan: ?
Stats: ?/?/? Female ?
BF:
Progress:

hey thanks for the advice! i went and found a different oil, its says "organic" but when i read the back it says "semi refined for human consumption". Its the best i could find so im just gonna give it a go! wish me luck! lol

ciao!
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 09:03

Plan: atkins & combining
Stats: 150/140/126 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

In answer to the amino acid questions

I take L-Tyrosine and L-Glucosine

also I found a herbal thyroid rememdy called thyrosine but no-one sells it in UK so I found out what was in it and it basically is Siberian Ginseng, ginger and onion

so I take those too

add to that vitamin B12 and Selenium and chromium and I reckon that should do.

I will try VCO too but my Dr gave me metformin

she said my thyroid bloods were normal
one test showed PCOS
the next test showed no PCOS
she hasn't tested my glucose or insulin

but gives me diabetic drugs..!!

metformin made me feel sick, made my constipation 100x worse and dehydrated me severely

i also developed a chesty cough

so I have reduced my intake to 1 tablet a day which I still take because the difference in my energy levels in phenomenal
  #129   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 05:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/245/200 Female 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I use virgin coconut oil and unsweeten coconut in my low carb granola. It gives it a different level in flavor. 1\3 cup and I'm fine for my a.m. school bus route!
  #131   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 17:49

Plan: none
Stats: 140/136/129 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Coconut Oil

I purchased vigrin coconut oil from "live coconut oil". It is the unrefined, cold processed kind. it is the first brand I have tried, but is pretty good, although I have nothing to compare it to. It costs $19.95 a quart, a bit cheaper than some on-line brands. I am not hypo, but found this thread looking for message boards on coconut oil. It does seem to give me steady energy all day, and although I don't take my temperature, I do feel warmer. I believe , after taking it for a week, it has helped me lose two or so pounds. i tried taking it straight from the jar, and although I could swallow it, I have found the best way for me is to take it in a cup of very warm milk. The flavors seem to blend wonderful, and you don't even know it's there. Adding a drop or two of vanilla makes it even better. I have tried it in coffe also, but the milk tastes better. I am sure it would be great in hot cocoa also. I did cook a little with it, some fried green tomatoes, and omelettes. They both came out great. My husband doesn't care for the taste of it, so I can't cook with it a whole lot.
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 07:36

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 265/260/185 Male 58"
BF:
Progress:

Hello to Raquel and Lisan. My name is Mark, and i am in West Palm Beach. I have been dealing with this low temp cold body thing for seven years now and wondering if anyone is getting their temps up to 98.6. I will give the coconut oil a try and see what happens. Does anyone know why Oil of Oregano would cause a rise in body temps?
Thanks,
Musik
  #133   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 20:51

Plan: none
Stats: 140/136/129 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:
Default oil of oregano

Mark,

I heard alot of good about oil of oregano, but not that it raises body temp. Maybe I just didn't see that. It is supposed to act as a wide range antibiotic and protects the body against many illnesses. I read where asian, or Panax ginseng raises body temp. I was using it for a bit for energy, but found it made me too hot, when I researched it, I found out it can make you hotter, so i stopped using it and now use the siberian kind, which has more of a balancing effect.