Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 08:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Breastfeeding and LC- Calorie intake?

Hey everyone,
I am breastfeeding and doing low carb, and I have noticed a decrease in my milk supply. At least I think so, my daughter is also teething and that may be part of it. Anyway I was wondering if any of you have noticed a relation between your calorie intake and your milk supply. It's hard for me to remember to eat when I'm in ketosis and I have been hovering at about 1300-1500 calories per day and 20g carbs. Thanks! I really want to get to my weight goal, at least get this weight off somewhat. My baby is 6mo and is taking in other foods too. Iam taking an alfalfa supplement as well and this really does seem to help with my milk supply.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 12:11
Go Big or Go Home

Plan: I plan to lose weight!!
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:47.65/25.28/28.8
Progress: 0%

If I remember correctly, my milk supply took a huge hit around 9 months (thereabouts anyway) when I decided to try induction. Fenugreek & Blessed Thistle helped a LOT & I only needed it for about 1.5 weeks. Every now & then when I think my supply is getting low, I take them again until my supply re-establishes.

http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/herbs.html
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-09, 05:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins maint/nursing mom
Stats: 188/161/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I am breastfeeding, too but haven't noticed a change. I am not in ketosis, though, just keeping carbs low. My baby is only 2 months old. I think you should try to consume 1800 calories a day and you shouldn't have a problem. Most days I only get around 15-1600, and I have enough milk for 2 babies. At 6 months, your baby still needs a healthy supply of milk for brain development.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 17:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Nursing Mom
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5'4
BF:Too much!
Progress: 0%
Default Me too.

I just started LC'ing again and am tandem nursing a 2.5 year old and 8 mo. old and noticed a decrease in milk supply (I was around 20 or so carbs, not in ketosis though) so I am going to add another 10 or so carbs each day. I had some oatmeal and that immediately did the trick and got me resupplied to so speak :-) I will look into Fenugreek to see if that helps too.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 15:51

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

The biggest factor on supply is the amount of time your baby spends nursing, not the number of carbs or calories in your diet. The easiest way to bring up a low supply is just to spend more time breastfeeding.

However, 1500 cals is on the low side if you are breastfeeding. Your baby won't suffer, but you might.