Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 23:36

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Pregnant again and seeking advise...

I'm about 10 weeks pregnant again with my second child. I am finally through the nausea phase of the pregnancy (i think) so I am able to eat things that I would like to eat, instead of things that won't make me barf.

A little history, I've been a low-carber since 2001 and lost 45 lbs on Atkins (w/o counting calories) but could never get to my goal weight of (reasonable) 145 - 150 lbs. I've since looked into calories and realized that I do need to count calories to see weight come off (when I'm that small) but I got into the whole, I can eat whatever I want, phase and that of course did me no good.

I found out 3 days before I found out I was pregnant, that I had hypothyroidism and that in turn with my shifting diet was why I had skyrocketed to my all time high of 193 lbs. The doctor has me on synthroid and I'm trying my best to watch what I eat.

That being said, I'm curious what the definition of "low carb" is in pregnancy. (the carb count) I'm around 100 (not net) carbs per day. Still have some fruits and veggies, and due to some medical issues, I juice carrots (which takes up the majority of my daily carbs (high in carbs der...) but is really good for some of the other medical issues my body is going through right now.

Is 100 carbs per day a reasonable amount to be on while pregnant? I did semi low carb 25-30 or aimed at that during my last pregnancy but didn't really gain anything so then decided I could eat anything I wanted, and got HUGE.

So I'm trying to not gain more than 20 lbs with this pregnancy since I'm already considered OBESE from my OBGYN's point of view.

Is this terribly unrealisitc? I'm aiming for 2000 calories per day or so, but no more than 2500.

Thanks for the help and ideas.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 09:32
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

First off congrats!!

Glad you're over the part where everything makes you barf

If I could get ALL my pregnant patients to limit thier carbs to 100 grams or less a day, I would be dancing on the head of a pin.

I think 100 grams/day is Excellent.

The other thing to remember is that in terms of calories, you only need an extra 200 calories per day during pregnancy. I always tell my patients you're NOT eating for TWO--maybe 1.2 200 extra calories a day isn't a lot--that's maybe an oz or 2 of nuts or yougurt with some berries.

The most important thing for you is to make sure your thyroid is optimized during you pregnancy--make sure your provider is testing often--at least every trimester or more frequently if you're just getting started in your therapy. Thyroid meds change during the course of pregnancy (usually the need to increase as pregnancy progresses).

Work closely with your provider.

Again, congrats.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 10:36

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Congratulations! How is your little lady? Mine is too cute. It's hard to keep up with a toddler when you're tired, etc.

Don't forget Vitamin D!!

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/news...eficiency.shtml
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 11:06

BF:

Thanks ladies! I am excited but dreading the weight gain. I've checked all weight calculators, and they definetly differ with regards to the amount of calories I should be taking. But 2000, (for my weight) (193) is pretty close. So I'm hoping to maintain, and really only gain needed weight (for baby).

I'm glad that 100 carbs are a good estimate, because when I am conciously watching them I find I'm around that limit and I feel good physically there. I don't feel the need to limit (dramatically) fruits and such. But am still stearing clear of breads and sugars (as much as possible).

Algts! It's good to hear from you again. I have a picture posted in my journal is you want to see my little turkey. She just turned two in April and is growing fast! Yours is SO cute! Wow how times goes!

Thanks again ladies!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 09:18

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

I think 100 carbs a day while pregnant is great, if you can do it. I was pregnant last year and also have hypothyroidism, so I have a few comments as the pregnancy resulted in a huge weight gain for me.

Are you on any medication for your thyroid? Synthroid is safe while pregnant. If you're not, talk to your OB about it. Thyroid problems can cause some issues in pregnancy.

Also... this is just a general comment rather than a suggestion. You are going to be starving. I was hungry ALL of the time while pregnant. For awhile, I thought it was all in my head... but I really was that hungry. You are going to crave things. The cravings will be strong. If you crave something, just eat it.. in moderation just enough to get rid of the craving, but otherwise it could stress you out and you don't need that while you're pregnant. I breastfed after giving birth and I found with my thyroid issues that I absolutely could not lose weight while breastfeeding and I continued to be hungry all of the time. I decided to suck it up and deal with my weight while breastfeeding because I felt it was best for the baby, but I got to a point where I REALLY needed to lose the weight. My knees were killing me and I was exhausted all the time, and not from the baby. The baby is actually very easy going, so he's never kept me up too much at night. After 7.5 months of breastfeeding, I decided to quit so I could lose the weight. I realized I needed to be able to function properly to take care of the baby.

Anyhow, make SURE your weight is monitored carefully during your pregnancy. This isn't just one of those things people say... I really mean it. With hypothyroidism, you're already going to be more prone to gaining weight. You're going to be hungry all the time soon. If you're hungry, you need to eat. Don't let your weight get in the way of taking care of yourself.

What you need to do is express your concerns to your OB, have your weight monitored regularly, and figure out a diet that your OB thinks is safe. If your OB has an issue with any kind of low-carb while pregnant, switch doctors. A lot of doctors will put pregnant women that are gaining too quickly on a version of low-carb that is specifically for pregnant women.

Anyhow, I really mean all this because I kind of took the wrong path as I had no advice, support, or insight about the weight stuff during my pregnancy and I gained back all the 85lbs I'd lost back in 2004/2005 and then some. I would hate to see anyone suffer the same fate as me.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 10:40
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
First off congrats!!

Glad you're over the part where everything makes you barf

If I could get ALL my pregnant patients to limit thier carbs to 100 grams or less a day, I would be dancing on the head of a pin.

I think 100 grams/day is Excellent.

The other thing to remember is that in terms of calories, you only need an extra 200 calories per day during pregnancy. I always tell my patients you're NOT eating for TWO--maybe 1.2 200 extra calories a day isn't a lot--that's maybe an oz or 2 of nuts or yougurt with some berries.

The most important thing for you is to make sure your thyroid is optimized during you pregnancy--make sure your provider is testing often--at least every trimester or more frequently if you're just getting started in your therapy. Thyroid meds change during the course of pregnancy (usually the need to increase as pregnancy progresses).

Work closely with your provider.

Again, congrats.

Lisa

^^^^^^^That.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 11:16

BF:

Thanks for the thoughts ladies. The nausea has eased up tremendously which def helps with being able to make wise food choices.

Doctor tested my thyroid again at last appt and I'm waiting to hear back about the results. I'm testing pre-hypertensive and am pretty sure this is due to low water intake as well as being over weight. So again, I'm doing my best to keep that as "pre" or maybe even lower it to "regular" if I can.

Working out is difficult, I feel like I'm going to pass out it's somewhat hard to breath but it doesn't feel like it's just out of shape. So I'm not sure what is....still trying my best.

I have to be on top of my game as much as I can with my health because I'm a single mom half the year because my husband works 3 wees on and 3 off about 7 hours away. So its a bit tough.

Thanks again ladies, we'll do the best we can.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 16:01

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I wish I would have seen this post a little bit ago, but oh well... I am glad to see the "recommended estimates" here for carb count, it makes me feel a little better, thank you ladies for sharing .

I wish I also had some good advice for you but am also on the asking side, due in January with my first. Good luck with your LC pregnancy!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 17:01

BF:

thank you and you as well!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 12:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Congratulations on your pregnancy. That is wonderful news. I was discussing pregnancy and LC with Dr. Robert Su who wrote a book on the dangers of carbohydrates. I was telling him that if I had it to do all over again that my pregnancies would all be low carb. He then posted this link and I want to share it here. I think that it should be made a stickie.

http://www.carbohydratescankill.com...restricted-diet
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-10, 19:21

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
..... I think that it should be made a stickie.

http://www.carbohydratescankill.com...restricted-diet

I agree. Still amazing how modern science keeps carbs covered in the corner when deliberating the causes and remedies of anything that has to do with elevated levels of blood glucose.

Thank you for sharing this, black57. Without having "official" longitudinal studies supporting LC lifestyle (including pregnancy), there is still enough anecdotal evidence available that shows it to be much healthier than the SAD and anything else similar... It makes sense to not want to expose a developing fetus to high glucose levels (for obvious reasons). Great article!