Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 15:09

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 138/143/130 Female 64.5 in
BF:
Progress: -63%

It's possible I have problems with my adrenals. I did test positive for problems with my adrenals through a naturopath about 8 or so years ago. Wouldn't be suprised if it's a problem again.
Do you know why low adrenals make it so that I couldn't go on a higher dose? Thanks for the insight!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 15:21

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by talervo
Do you know why low adrenals make it so that I couldn't go on a higher dose? Thanks for the insight!

Because the body needs cortisol to move thyroid to the cells. Without enough cortisol (or B12, ferritin and magnesium also), the thyroid pools in the blood instead of getting to the cells. It builds up and creates a very uncomfortable feeling whereby the person thinks they are hyper. Their blood tests also look hyper.

It is simply not possible to be optimised on 1/2 a grain unless you know for a fact that your adrenals are in good shape.

If you are symptom free and do not experience any of the below then you are obviously the rare bird who needs a very low dose:
Lose weight easily
Maintain weight with ease
No dry skin
No constipation
Good cholesterol levels
Good body temp
No fatigue
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 08:41

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 187/163/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Hypothyroid Gone ...for now

[QUOTE=I came across this forum because I did a lookup for "no longer have hashimotos". I was trying to see if there was anyone else out there who had been diagnosed with HMT (hashimotos thyroiditis) and quit their meds with no returning affects.
[/QUOTE]

Well I was diagnosed with Hashi's and was on meds for awhile and after more bloodwork my Dr. called me at home and told me to stop taking them. I have been fine since. That's not to say that it couldn't come back.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 09:03

Hashi's can go into periods of remission yes, but one needs to be sure they are symptom free before declaring all is well. So many docs tell patients all is well because their stupid blood tests say so, even if the patient is sitting there freezing, fat, unable to lose weight, has high cholesterol, dry skin, dada, yada, yada...............
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-10, 13:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/170/145 Female 56
BF:
Progress:

I too have hashimoto D. and have had 2 opertations to have half of my right thyroid out and all but one of the small pirathyroids out. I still have more small tumors in my throat
but my Doctors just keep his eye on them, I am on 0.075 synthyroid aday. I seem to cough I lot , have low energy and am cold too. This Doctor doesn,t seem to see anything wrong with how I,m feeling .I believe I will try and find a new one If he doesn.t listen the next visit.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-10, 16:29

Hi Pumpkin

Let me know where you are living and I can pm you some good docs. Most docs are totally clueless about the thyroid.