Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: No Carb!
Stats: 268/238.2/180 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question What is going on?

WTH is going on with my weight. I came to DR today for a cold and weighed in at 238. Saw DR last 2 or 3 months ago. Weighed.....yes u guessed it 238. I have been low carbing with no more than 25 carbs a day for about 2 months.

Breakfast:
3 boiled eggs with light salt.

Snack:
Celery stick with almond butter pb....7 carbs 3 fiber

Lunch:
Varies between. Rotisserie chicken with Ramon lettuce and pork skins. Or. Enrich sausage with pork skins and mustard. Or. Boiled eggs.

Dinner:
Varies. More chicken. Over easy eggs x3 with bacon and romaine lettuce. Or. Boiled eggs with spam and lettuce.

Around 9pm a little cool whip with a sprinkle of sugar free chocolate pudding powder.

I drink lots of water during the day. Around 5-6 36oz bottles.

Before dinner I run 2.5 miles.

What gives? Thx 😭😭😭😩😩😩
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 09:44

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Legendary. That's tough. I'm sorry.

I don't know if it is true for you, -- the processed meats could be the saboteurs.

I gain weight on processed meats. I make my own sausage patties from ground beef and herbs, w/ salt and pepper.

I did a couple of experiments some years ago with only eating turkey, chicken or beef bologna, and black tea for several days. I made sure I ate between 40-60 grams of protein per day. (Actual protein grams, not weight of meats.)

I did this a couple of times in one year. One week each time. I gained weight.

There is something in processed meats that I just don't do well with.

So, no deli counter turkey, chicken or roast beef for me. No store-bought sausage patties, nor link sausages.

Also, I find grass-fed beef more satiating and I eat less. Even at the same amounts of meat, I lose weight with grass-fed meat, and not with grain-fed/factory-farm meat.

Hope this helps.

I wish you success!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 09:50
Registered Member

BF:

Thx.

I wonder (am sort of sure) might be my age. 47?

keep advice coming pls.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 13:52

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

The scales are not the only measure of progress. Have you had your lipids tested at all? Are you tracking your waist measurement? Are you achieving more with your exercise? Are you feeling better mentally?

I've also heard that when you're ill, the body can have this habit of retaining weight, in a sense so that it has more ingredients on hand to try and deal with whatever you're suffering from. I don't know if that applies to something as simple as a cold, but you can possibly find out by weighing yourself again once you're feeling better?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-06-18, 05:38
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. Two things glare at me. One is the Cool Whip and pudding mix. The CW is basically awful vegetable oil mixed with sugar. Even the "sugar-free" is corn syrup. Pudding mix is loaded with starch. I would get rid of these, even if the carb count is low... because the "real food" LC replacement is cheap and easy. Get some real whipping cream (use about 2 Tbsp), cocoa powder (maybe a few tsp, depends on how strong you want it) and a bit of sweetener. I just eyeball it and go by taste. You can whip the cream but you don't have to - the cocoa powder is dense and fibrous and will thicken it nicely. This is a great single-serving treat.

I know you're not specifically following Atkins, but you might want to have a gander at the Atkins Induction Acceptable Foods List just as a refresher. It's a really good spot to start. If it's not on the list, don't touch it. At least until you sort out any possible food sensitivities. Gluten and corn are big ones, as well as nuts. Maybe scrap the almond butter for now. Dietdoctor.com is also an excellent resource for food ideas and info.

The second thing is weigh-ins at an office. I pretty much disregard any weight taken out-and-about with my clothes on, in the middle of the day. Get a scale and start weighing yourself at home, first thing in the morning, after using the washroom, wearing roughly the same PJs, or in the buff. I know that probably doesn't account for all of it, but you never know. Your first weight could have been flukily low, and your most recent one flukily high.

Age is probably a factor. I know I ain't 22 anymore, dropping weight like a rock every time I want to. Those were the days.

Don't quit - you've done your body a ton of good and the scale will rarely reflect that. Best of luck; keep us posted.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-06-18, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: LC, IF
Stats: 256/240/190 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

May I offer an opinion here? I have found this works for me for weight loss.

When you eat 3 meals a day plus snacks, you are keeping your insulin levels high all day long. Protein foods do raise insulin levels, although not as much as carbs do.

Insulin is the "fat storage" hormone. It instructs your liver to store food in your fat cells and ALSO instructs the fat cells not to release any stored fat.

Have you ever tried Intermittent Fasting? This is not long-term fasting. It is simply extending the time between the last meal of one day and the first meal of the next day.

This is what I do almost every day. I have worked up to 18 hours of fasting with a six hour "eating window".

This helps keep your insulin levels as low as possible for as long as possible. This will encourage the body to give up stored fat. It is also important for body maintenance to not be digesting food all day long.

Please look into the books and internet blog articles of Dr. Jason Fung, a Canadian nephrologist who has worked with diabetic patients using this method of insulin control. His books are excellent. I have read The Obesity Code and am now reading The Diabetes Code.

P.S. I strongly agree with the Cool Whip comment. I have loved Cool Whip since the '50's, but don't eat it anymore---just heavy whipping cream.

Last edited by Susan70 : Sun, May-06-18 at 08:34.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-06-18, 17:43
Registered Member

BF:

hello.

thx for the advice. very frustrated. I will get rid of cool whip. i am sticking to eggs, bacon, chicharrones (pork skins) and chicken. so i want my insulin to be low at all times? is there a test i can purchase to check? thx
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-06-18, 18:07
Registered Member

BF:

I've heard that most doctors won't order this test; they don't consider it necessary. All they are concerned about is blood glucose which is only part of the picture.

Some independent labs will do the test for you directly for less than $100; that may have changed, however.

Regarding this---I just do the fasting and hope for the best.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-06-18, 18:10
Registered Member

BF:

The thing is not to have your insulin low at all times; just to not keep it high all day by eating frequently. Let it fall back to a healthy "resting" level as much as possible.

This resting level could still be too high for people with strong insulin resistance, like me, so I intend to stick with the fasting, and hope my personal resting level gradually returns to a more normal level.

Last edited by Susan70 : Sun, May-06-18 at 18:19.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 15:12
Registered Member

BF:

thx susan. Well last night I ate some grilled steaks and mustard chicken with romaine lettuce. I finished eating around 730. I did not eat anything but coffee until 1100. 30 minutes short of the 16 hrs of fasting. I ate romaine lettuce with bacon and a celery stick. After my run this evening I will eat eggs and bacon around 730. I am going to try and just stick to eggs, bacon, romaine lettuce and chicken for a month see what happens. I will do the 16 hr fasting as well by skipping breakfast. Lets hope for the best.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 15:35
Registered Member

BF:

OH! I have an avocado everyday for lunch and dinner. I also read somewhere that if i am on a low carb diet it is recommended for me to take something like centrum one a day for men? thx
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-09-18, 07:44
Registered Member

BF:

Legendary--

I wish you the very best. Good luck!