Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-20, 12:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Lol

Grewup eating the heart n gizzard of chicken as well as liver from chicken and beef. Mother would make sweetbread for her dad when he visited.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-20, 21:00

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Defrosted a pound of liver yesterday, as well as ground beef. Put 1/2# liver in the food processor to grind up (Note to self: Always soak the bowl after grinding liver; really hard to clean otherwise), and added to the beef. Made a large hamburger for dinner. Today I sautéed onions, and gently fried about half the remaining liver. So I have approx 1/4# liver left, as well as a big chunk of ground beef (mixed with liver); dinner for the next few evenings. I haven’t really adopted the carnivore diet (yet), but more often than not I find my meals are more meat based, and fewer veg.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 10:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

In his latest Genius Life podcast, Max Lugavere discusses offal and why you should be eating it:

Why You Need to Eat Organ Meat, Plus Easy and Tasty Ways to Sneak It In | Ashleigh VanHouten

Quote:
The wellness community has been abuzz recently over organ meats; parts of the animal like liver and heart which are rightfully deserving of the term nature's multivitamin. Modern humans tend to throw these parts away, leading farmers to sell these precious parts off for pet food instead. But in the latest episode of my podcast, I pay homage to these nutrient dense meats and offer a way of easily and tastily including them in your diet, should you so choose.

Did you know that liver is one of the top sources of vitamin B12, and the mineral copper? Or that heart is loaded with CoQ10, a necessary nutrient for energy production in the heart and brain? We miss out on these unique nutrients when we either a) avoid meat altogether, or b) opt only for muscle meat, which is what most people eat when they eat meat today.

In today's podcast, I welcome health coach, chef, food and nutrition journalist, and Paleo diet expert Ashleigh VanHouten, who just wrote the definitive cookbook on this topic. It's wonderful! Over the course of our hour-long chat, you'll discover:
  • Why you shouldn't fear organ meats! A breakdown of each one and what you gain by eating them
  • How to use a Paleo-style diet as a template for a personal, sustainable approach to nutrition
  • How to overcome the 2 barriers to entry to enjoying organ meat: Taste and texture
  • The health benefits of organ meat aka offal and why ancient wisdom has long revered organs
  • Simple ways to buy and sneak organ meat into your diet so you don't even notice it
  • Why you should STOP overcooking your meat!
  • The organ that might boost libido and sexual health

Ashleigh just published her cookbook, It Takes Guts: A Meat-Eater's Guide to Eating Offal with over 75 Healthy and Delicious Nose-to-Tail Recipes. It's wonderful and packed with great information and recipes to nourish yourself and your family with. If you enjoy her breadth of knowledge, be sure to pick it up!

#34   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 01:37

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I love liver and just pan fry it in coconut oil and / or butter and eat it with my eggs (over easy). Now that I have Primal Kitchen ketchup on Amazon subscription order, I'll invariably eat it with that amazing condiment on top. I see the other offal meats at Whole Foods and need some recipes (in the same freezer where I get my 100 percent grass fed beef marrow bones for bone broth).
Quote:
It Takes Guts: A Meat-Eater's Guide to Eating Offal with over 75 Healthy and Delicious Nose-to-Tail Recipes
Maybe I'll check out ^ that book.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 11:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Unfortunately, I did not get to the defrosted PKG of liver before it went off..... dogs enjoy ed it!!!! Good thing there is more in freezer.

I've wanted to try a recipe for froi gras.......eyeing a couple of ducks in the duck pen!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 11:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Unfortunately, I did not get to the defrosted PKG of liver before it went off..... dogs enjoy ed it!!!! Good thing there is more in freezer.

I hate it when I do that! But at least it can be turned into chicken food. Tho I did find out that a package of chicken that stayed in the fridge a wee bit too long was salvageable by turning it into highly seasoned chicken strips. Everyone loved them.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 16:07

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I do love liver but find it nearly impossible to find, especially these days when I only do curbside pickup for groceries. I do manage to get some liverwurst occasionally - that's about all I can find.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Oct-30-20, 11:21

BF:

A couple of months ago I discovered that a local supermarket has a dedicated freezer for “odd bits”, many of them with bilingual labels, English/Spanish, indicating to whom they expect to be selling mostly. I have found liver, heart, kidneys there, but also tripe & intestines. And then the “not so odd” odd bits, like oxtail & pork belly. Total accident that I found the freezer; it is in a corner near the meat section, but not particularly obvious.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-20, 02:12

BF:

#1 on the library list!

#40   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-20, 11:05

Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I do love liver but find it nearly impossible to find, especially these days when I only do curbside pickup for groceries. I do manage to get some liverwurst occasionally - that's about all I can find.

Debbie, Publix has rather nice calf's liver in the frozen foods dept, about $5 for four 4-oz individually wrapped slices. I used to buy two packages at a time, when I lived in Florida.

Best way to cook a slice is to plop it frozen into hot butter, cook a minute or two until browned, then flip and cook the other side until just rare. Mere minutes until on the plate... overcooked, tough liver is disgusting, lol.

Cooking a frozen slice also means it keeps its shape better for flipping, as well as preventing overcooking.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-20, 13:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
Debbie, Publix has rather nice calf's liver in the frozen foods dept, about $5 for four 4-oz individually wrapped slices. I used to buy two packages at a time, when I lived in Florida.
Maybe so. I found chicken liver at Publix too. But Publix doesn't offer free curbside pickup of groceries so I no longer shop there. And I utterly cannot bear rare liver anyway.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-20, 22:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ox tail for marrow and soup base, smoked ham hocks for soup or stew, beef tongue, calves liver, chicken liver, gizzard. As a kid we had heart and kidneys and glands (sweet breads). I liked everything except beef liver (very strong). Calves liver I grew to like, but not love. I made chili with some chicken liver once and it was quite good. Tongue is very good.

Is lamb or pig liver good? I've seen both in the Asian markets.

Whole foods usually has organic chicken livers which I buy for my cats, and myself at times.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-20, 01:33

BF:

Wife made some chicken liver adobo - so that's on the menu today.

_
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-20, 11:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ox tail for marrow and soup base, smoked ham hocks for soup or stew, beef tongue, calves liver, chicken liver, gizzard. As a kid we had heart and kidneys and glands (sweet breads). I liked everything except beef liver (very strong). Calves liver I grew to like, but not love. I made chili with some chicken liver once and it was quite good. Tongue is very good.

Is lamb or pig liver good? I've seen both in the Asian markets.

Whole foods usually has organic chicken livers which I buy for my cats, and myself at times.

Lamb liver, like lamb kidney, is milder than that of older, larger beasts. I was getting that on occasion from my friend whose BIL raises sheep, but has no use for the offal, so it would get passed on to me. I have only knowingly eaten pig liver in the form of sausages and liver dumplings in Germany, but I bought some from a local pig farmer recently in order to try my hand at homemade liverwurst. Waiting in the freezer now.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-23, 20:35

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I've also had a hard time sourcing chicken livers. Most markets within reasonable distance from my Southern California home don't have them. (What do they do with all these livers???)

Recently I discovered that Whole Foods has them. Then turkey season / Thanksgiving was upon us, chicken livers vanished, but were replaced with turkey livers! I look forward to trying those. Sauteed chicken livers are excellent with mushrooms and marinara sauce...