Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 06:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/186/145 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the advice Barb! I just happen to love mayo and real fats I do notice some LC sites say to avoid or limit mayo and others say to eat up. I guess that is where my confusion lies. However if I am getting this, as long as I keep net carbs around 20 a day I will get in to ketosis right? Congratulations on your recent retirement~ I'm loving every minute of it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 06:08

BF:

Thank you so much as your reply made so much sense to me! Perhaps I was using the veggies as an excuse? I agree that as long as I watch my progress or lack of and adjust accordingly things should work to my advantage. I'm sure anything I do in the direction of lowering my carb intake with be a win!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 06:15

BF:

Just a quick thank you to all that have replied! I truly appreciate it.
Still learning my way around this website so forgive if I don't post in the right place I am going to dust off my copy of DANDR and decide if I can start now or listen to hubby and wait until after Thanksgiving. I do not want this to be a diet but something I can live with and consider simply a new way of eating for life.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 06:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylpn1
Good morning Janet and thank you for the warm welcome!I also have read and liked Taubes book. Made a lot of sense to me and I happen to love spiralized zucchini. I have a big Kitchen Aid and a spiralizer attachment but need to get something smaller so that I can use it several times a week. Kitchen Aid is heavy and a bit of a pain to use so often. With Thanksgiving coming up my husband thinks I am crazy to start LCing. How to LBers get through Thanksgiving with out stuffing and potatoes?

Mashed potatoes is easy...cauliflower. I buy the frozen from Walmart and add cream, cheeses, etc. Lots of Recipes right here: https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

I'd also suggest joining Kristie's FB page and YouTube page. She has many #Thanksgiving recipes, search by that hashtag because the FB page has so many members it moves very fast. She and Dr. Westman are doing a cooking class this weekend, and she is sharing (it will be on DietDoctor before Thanksgiving but not yet), a new stuffing recipe. It is from her new "Keto Gatherings" book being published on Dec 4.
I have to find that one later, but her previous books and websites have other versions that work well too (basically Soul bread and Sausage). https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470795

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Nov-08-18 at 07:00.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 07:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Janet is so right on the mashed "faux"tatoes. I take the whole head and rinse, then microwave 16-18 minutes (small heads may be 14-15 mins) until soft but not browning. Then I cut up, put in the food processor with butter a little chicken broth and some onion powder and puree. I use as little broth as possible so it has the texture of creamy mashed potatoes. It looks just like the real thing! The gals in the family prefer them to the real thing! Or you can buy the Frozen Birdseye ones if you don;t want the fuss.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 07:19

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Mary! I want to second what Thud said. Don't worry about following a diet. Just cut out the grains and sugars and you'll be looking and feeling better within two weeks! If you actually like greens - good for you! Enjoy them.

Quote:
Mashed potatoes is easy...cauliflower. I buy the frozen from Walmart and add cream, cheeses, etc.

Janet - when you add the cheese and cream, does it hide the taste of the cauliflower?
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 08:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I'm super lazy in the kitchen and was also trained from an early age as a short-order cook for the family by my working mom, so I keep it simple. Cauliflower, for example: I buy frozen florets in the bag (yeah, at Walmart most of the time ), steam them lightly over the stove or in the microwave, and then toss them in butter, salt and pepper. Sure, I could mash them and add milk but I like them more au naturel. I've also bought the Green Giant riced cauliflower medleys (with sweet potato, lemon, etc.) in the frozen food section and they're okay, but again I enjoy cauliflower more when I can stab the pieces with a fork. It's a versatile vegetable, though, for sure!

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, Nov-08-18 at 10:29.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 08:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylpn1
Thanks for the advice Barb! I just happen to love mayo and real fats I do notice some LC sites say to avoid or limit mayo and others say to eat up. I guess that is where my confusion lies. However if I am getting this, as long as I keep net carbs around 20 a day I will get in to ketosis right? Congratulations on your recent retirement~ I'm loving every minute of it.

Two more of my cents: I empathize with your confusion. Too many voices and opinions on the Internet coming at you from every direction. Even if you're following Atkins, that can be confusing because there are so many versions. I strongly recommend you pick a book and a plan that resonates with you and stick with that. In my humble opinion, if you do follow Atkins, taking guidance from the good doctor himself is your best bet.

P.S. I love being retired, too! Congratulations to us!

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, Nov-08-18 at 08:48.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 08:43

BF:

Barb gave good advice IMO --- Pick one plan and stick to it. This site outlines a number of the plans. If you keep hopping from one to another it may sabotage you. Read, weigh the pros and cons and choose a path. I also agree with Barb that Dr A's direct advice is still the best of the Atkins plans. The 2002 version (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution or DANDR) is the last version by the doc himself. But there are a number of solid lc choices out there. The main thing is to find one you can stick to for the long haul as a new Way of Eating.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132

Janet - when you add the cheese and cream, does it hide the taste of the cauliflower?

Tess, Enough cream cheese, sour cream and a strong tasting Romano or Parmesan Cheese will mask anything! https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=87398

Another cauliflower dish I like better than the original is Potato Salad. Lot of HB eggs, mayo, olives or relish, herbs, spices ... however your Mom made it. For that start with a fresh head of cauliflower, but in winter that bag of frozen florets from Walmart works great for mashed Thanksgiving potatoes.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 09:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

It's even better if you forget to add the cauliflower.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 10:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
It's even better if you forget to add the cauliflower.

I was thinking the same thing!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-18, 04:16

Teaser & Barb You are missing out on LC's most versatile veg...but then more for us! I guess you wouldn’t like any Brussels sprouts alternatives

Also agree with Barb, this forum supports all versions of LC, but the #1 advice in the sticky at the top of Newbie forum, is Know Your Plan. Pick one, stick to it consistently for a month, and then adjust if needed. Find what works for you, but in the end although low Carbers don’t usually count calories, calories do count. Unlimited fats are sometimes encouraged in the very beginning to help your body switch to a fat burner, unlimited mayo ultimately would stop weight loss, why Dr Atkins and Westman have 2T limits.

The problem with waiting to start until after Thanksgiving, is that it rapidly is followed by Christmas, holiday parties, New Years, birthday parties, Groundhog Day, whatever, Americans find a way to add food to every celebration so we find a way to make it LC.

Thanksgiving Stuffing: Ran across Kristie's original stuffing mix, the "bread" is a crispy type of cornbread made with almond flour. It is an option until DietDoctor publishes her new version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FD...IsRvod_4rFHL22o

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Nov-09-18 at 09:58.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-18, 11:17

Plan: no specific plan
Stats: 177/141/147 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 120%

Starting at Thanksgiving can't be any harder than starting on Valentine's Day! That's what I did. It was actually a great day to start, because getting thru that day without carbage was a big accomplishment.

Stick with turkey, green beans, cheese stuffed celery and cauli-mash and you'll have a healthy Thanksgiving....something to truly be thankful for.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-18, 17:58

BF:

Mary, food for thought --- if this is going to be the way you eat from now on, you are going to hit the same problem at any holiday so there is no reason to wait. If you are motivated to start now, do it! Maybe your early success will help you stay on plan thru the holidays.