Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 18:26
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 132/122/100 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Fire,....just me grrl stoping in to say hi and that i'm jealous of how pretty your walks are...I live in a subdivision were all our houses are back to back it feels like..no view

and about your walks honey,...always remember we have to crawl before we can run...take it one day at a time and dont get mad at yourself about if things come up...and always remember no matter what your still beautiful inside and out
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-01, 21:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 7%

Fiona,

Quote:
seeing how far you've come has inspired me to start again.

Thanks for the pull!
I feel exactly the same about you

I hadn't done much other than some light stretching, not even qualified for yoga, since my last post. Its always too...something--too busy, too sick, too tired, too depressed, too lazy

I had just visited another thread (Trying to get motivated to exercise) where I saw your response to starting tomorrow--start NOW . Then I came to check in here and saw the wonderful things you'd written.

I was convicted. I disconnected from the web, lifted my large butt out of the chair, went outside and walked around the apartment complex twice. Thanks for motivating me

This weekend I'm going on a ladies retreat at a campground, hoping to do plenty of nature walking

Let's keep motivating each other, and look forward to the day when we have kicked both extra weight and paralyzing depression out of our lives...OK?

Thanks for the words of kindness, grrlpwr--and I am very thankful that the landscape is soooo beautiful. I'm just trying to get myself motivated so I can enjoy it more.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 19:58

BF:
Default Back from retreat/Grand Canyon

While on the retreat we had to walk 5 min. one way to and from cafeteria. Of course, we aren't talking easy walking here, it was a trail with rocks and logs and stones, etc. It was all downhill on the way to eat (good thing since all those people were hungry), but of course that meant it was uphill the whole way back. There was a bus if you wanted to use it. I must say I was tempted, but I didn't once take that silly old bus.

Then 2 days at the Grand Canyon. I did lots of hiking and walking the first day, but mom had paid for a bus tour the second day. The information the guide gave was a little interesting, but the only exercise I got all day was climbing in and out of that bus.

Now I am recovering from car accident, so we will see how the next few days go!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 19:20

BF:

Thursday

Today I walked 3 times around the apartment complex. First real exercise since the car accident. Tonight, I'm going to try to do some yoga. I found the booklet that contains the positions I used to do, and my body sure could use the stretching out.

It's that TOM, and all I want to do is sit, stare, and eat---best reason in the world to make myself get up and to something!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 03:41

BF:

Friday

Well, I didn't ever get to the yoga--but I did go twice around apt complex today.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 05:17

Plan: CALP
Stats: 286.65/254.3/165
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default exercise...what is that?

Hi firespirit,
I have not been a big fan of exercise...I used to think it was just because I was carrying so much extra weight...it was never much fun.
BUT i went on a holiday to England for three weeks in the middle of Winter (and it snowed). I found I had so much energy I could walk over small 'fells'(hills) and from one village to the next (a couple of miles). I also walked all over London. My hubby was amazed because he is used to me labouring along behind him...huffing and puffing.
So what was the difference to exercising in England and exercising in Brisbane, Australia?
1. It was so much cooler I did not get overly hot and sweaty. This meant I was much more comfy.
2. It was a new and interesting place. I had to get off my bottom if I wanted to see it.

Once I came back from my holiday all exercise just stopped again...35 degrees celius and 80% humidity just knocked me around. All I wanted to do was lie down!!
My Mum moved to Melbourne in the south of Australia and she found she had much more energy in a cooler climate....or was it the new environment again.

So now do I exercise....well...sometimes.
I like yoga and go through phases where I do it every day for a week or two. I have a dog and I could take him for a walk....but I always find some reason not to.
Maybe the solution to all this is to do yoga in the morning when it is cool and take the dog for a walk at night...when it is cool too?
Anyway..thanks for making me re-consider exercise. I hope you really enjoy your walks around your apartment block.
Kezza
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 13:30

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Firespirit

So sorry about your accident - hope not too much damage to you or to the car? Take care - sometimes the shock hits you afterwards.

{I must say I was tempted, but I didn't once take that silly old bus. }
Well done! Good place they had picked to put their cafeteria! Sounds gorgeous.

I just came back from a lovely long walk in a different park - bigger and with a few additional aspects to it. It was a little slippery (with the rain) to go climbing on trees etc but really enjoyed it.

{It's that TOM, and all I want to do is sit, stare, and eat....} I KNOWWW. I spent ALL day Thursday fighting (unsuccessfully) with that feeling and then feeling ashamed of myself for doing so little. Next day TOM arrived before its time and I understood.!! We know WHAT to do but not so easy to actually DO it.

Kezza u r so right - heat does take its toll. I find I am okay if I have plenty of water with me. Dehydrated muscles just do not work and tire very easily.

You are doing very well - keep it up.
Take Energetic Moving Care
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 14:56

BF:

Hey fiona Good to hear from you!

Quote:
hope not too much damage to you or to the car? Take care - sometimes the shock hits you afterwards.

The car is totalled--Thank God, I am not I've never been through anything like this personally--and I'm surprised how defeated this makes me feel. It was my first almost new car---you ever feel like in your life you are taking one step forward, two steps back

Anyway, I'm still here and still fighting even if I have misplaced some of the old spunk

Oh yeah...exercise log....I did 2 laps around apartment complex. Beautiful scenery, but getting kinda boring.

Later
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 08:56

BF:
Smile Hope Healing Health

I am sorry about your car and really glad you are safe.

{Firespirit: ...and I'm surprised how defeated this makes me feel.} I am not - I know just how you feel.

My car got stolen during the early hours of 1st January 1999 - after months of malicious, senseless damage. After the initial shock wore off I was quite relieved 'cos of what happened before it got stolen. It was hard at first but I learnt to manage without my car.

Nearly three years later I still cannot face the prospect of owning another car ... I know .. I know ... stupid to allow such defeatism but I'd rather take the bus for the time being. Besides it is healthier for me to HAVE to walk and get some exercise in.

{...even if I have misplaced some of the old spunk..} I don't think you have misplaced your spunk at all. There is a huge boulder in the path and you are ... very courageously and humourously ... working out how you are going to get past it. I have every faith you will get past it too.

Take Energetic Loving Care.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 00:22

BF:

Thanks Fiona--I really need and appreciate all the encouragement since I got so rattled about the accident and all!

Very busy day....no time for real exercise--although it was a really beautiful day and I'm kinda sad I missed the walk. I got alot accomplished cleaning, organizing, writing, thinking, etc. I did put on some jams and dance around the house a little---so I think I'll count that as exercise for today
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 21:39

BF:
Exclamation Getting Serious about mountain moving

It's been a time of re-evaluation and goal setting. These are my goals through the end of the year regarding exercise. This is what I will aim for. For more on the goals I'm choosing to set in this WOL see my journal in bootcamp

Exercise:

1) Cardio--I will walk every day a minimum of 15 min; and usually much longer.

2) Strength--I will do strength training routine 3 days a week.

3) Flexibility--I will do yoga 3 days a week.

Now, anyone reading this knows how scared I have been to commit to exercise...but I refuse to be ruled by fear so...here goes.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 21:57

BF:

Because I just seem to keep running out of time, I'm going to try posting gym log once a week on Saturdays.

On last entry I laid out my goals. I started Wednesday.

Wednesday: Walk 25 minutes--once around apt complex then partway up the mountain behind my apartment.

Thursday: Thanksgiving Day--no exercise

Friday: 15 min indoor walking/marching for aerobic exercise
Completed strength training routine which includes:

Chair Stand level 1
Overhead Press 3lb weights
Bent-over Row 3 lb weights
Calf Raise level 1
Seated Fly 3 lb weights
Arm Curl 3 lb weights
Shoulder Stretch 2
Quads Stretch 1
L-back/H-string Stretch 1
L-leg/Ankle Stretch 2

Saturday: no exercise

The Chair Stand and Calf Raise have 2 levels 1 is easy and 2 is harder to do. With the weights I'm doing 2 reps of 8 each. After I was done I didn't feel like I'd done much; but today I knew different: My legs are so sore!! So is my abdomen. I used muscles that I haven't used in a long time I'm achy--but it is a good ache.

I meant to walk today, but when I got off work I just went to sleep. I guess my body needed the nap. My strength isn't what it was before the accident. I guess that's normal--healing process and all. But physically I wasn't very strong before the accident and now I'm just exhausted. As sore as my leg muscles are--I probably needed the day off.

I will report next week!!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 18:02

BF:
Thumbs up U can only do your best

You are doing fine. Every day is different. Some days you can do a lot better than others - the main thing is that you are still continuing.

Be gentle with yourself - you need time to heal and rejuvenate whilst at the same time not give in. It's a difficult balance to get just right.

Take care.