Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 09:37

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default "The skinny on diets"

"The Times" of NW Indiana

The skinny on diets

DIET DEBATE: America's obsession with diet plans isn't tipping the scale against rising obesity.

BY JERRY DAVICH
Times Staff Writer

Link to article

A new battle line has been drawn in the decades-old war against weight gain.

It's wrapped around the country's bulging waistline, with carbohydrates public enemy No. 1.

In a world of Krispy Kreme cravings, super-sized servings and all-you-can-eat buffets, obesity is now a national health epidemic, responsible for more health problems than smoking, officials suspect.

About one of every four adults -- nearly 50 million people -- is considered obese, according to latest government guidelines. And Indiana is fatter than the national average.

With diet plans like Atkins, The Zone, G.I., South Beach and so on all the rage these days, people are still gaining weight.

Why? Because for the most part, experts say, these fad diets don't work. Sure, most diets will melt away immediate pounds. But long-term weight loss is another story, they say. In fact, nearly nine out of 10 dieters will eventually gain back their lost weight, and a few will gain back even more.

"Keeping weight off is like a part-time job. You have to keep working," said Terri Sakelaris, a registered dietitian works at The Community Hospital's Fitness Pointe in Munster.

On popular high-protein, low-carb plans like the Atkins diet, followers can eat all the cheese, eggs and meat they want, as long as they religiously limit carbohydrates. And this often works, at first, for many desperate dieters.

Sakelaris said the human brain needs roughly six grams of carbs an hour, about 144 a day, to function properly, explaining why many carb-phobic dieters become sluggish or light-headed.

Also, high-protein diets are tough on the kidneys, and during the initial stages of many diets the body becomes frantic to protect itself from perceived atrophy, she said.

The first thing dietitians do with new clients is a complete health history before venturing into diet-mania.

Yet most dieters jump into the weight-loss waters without nary a thought to their overall health, said Judy Rose, a nutritionist with the Indiana State Department of Health.

Dr. Robert Buynak, of Portage, said patients routinely ask for help navigating the diet maze.

"But there is no one-size-fits-all diet," he said.

Rose said her office doesn't recommend any specific diets because most are nutritionally inadequate, some are even harmful. The only upside to new diets is they get people in the habit of reading food labels and tracking what goes into their bodies, she said.

In this brave new world of bread-bashing carb Nazis, Rose said people want that easily digestible magic bullet. They want a six- or 12-week program that will melt away a lifetime of bad habits, she said.

"But they don't exist," Rose said. "The downside with any diet is that eventually you have to come off of it."

Jerry Davich can be reached at jdavich~nwitimes.com or (219) 933-3376.

-- Although it's a smallish newspaper, I was kinda offended by this article. It seems that this correspondent spoke to a few people to get their input, but didn't do a little research for himself. Trust me, I'm working on an email to Mr. Davich right now to debunk some of the fallacies in this article. So much for a step forward in the media. Let's just hope that there's other journalists out there that are a little more productive in their research. I may be a little outta line with my thoughts, but it still can't hurt to direct this guy in to the Atkins website (as well as the forum's gateway/home page) to learn a little more about LCing.

Nikki

Last edited by Tiggerdy : Thu, Jan-15-04 at 09:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 09:56
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Sakelaris said the human brain needs roughly six grams of carbs an hour, about 144 a day, to function properly, explaining why many carb-phobic dieters become sluggish or light-headed.

6 carbs an hour? wow I must be dead then. In fact, I am too sluggish to even write a response.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 09:58

BF:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Wait, passing out... will write more later... must consume 6 more carbs for the hour...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 10:57

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

I'm sorry, you have exceeded your brain time allotment, please deposit 6 more carbs for one more hour of brain use.......
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Goofy. Just goofy, unresearched, and unprofessional. As soon as I have a slice of white bread to replinish my brain carbs, I'll email him.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 11:00
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

#7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 13:59

BF:

I know that my facts aren't exactly 100% accurate, but I figured I'd post what I wrote to Mr. Davich. It had gotten long enough by the time I hit the 6g carbs per hour quote that I decided to just ignore it and send it "as is." His reply is below my email

Quote:
Mr. Davich-

I read your article with great interest this morning, hoping to see some statistics in favor of gaining control of one's health. While I did absorb some useful facts, there was some skewed information. I am not writing to sound like some "know-it-all" or to be a complaining reader among the masses of loyal followers, but I would like to give you some facts regarding Atkins and low-carbing in general.

In your story, you wrote, "On popular high-protein, low-carb plans like the Atkins diet, followers can eat all the cheese, eggs and meat they want, as long as they religiously limit carbohydrates. And this often works, at first, for many desperate dieters." However, if you read the Atkins book or reference their website, you will see that although protein consumption does increase while following the plan, so does consumption vegetables and fats. In fact, if you break down the average Atkins followers menu (one during the first two levels of the plan), you will see that approximately 65-70% of their caloric intake is fats (oils, butter, etc.), 20-25% protein and 5-10% carbohydrates. As each person progresses through the plan and its four levels, their carbohydrate levels increase, reducing the restrictions of certain vegetables and fruits. By the way, you cannot eat all the cheese, eggs and meat that you want. Cheese is limited to 4 oz. per day (it does contain carbs) and it is recommended that you watch your protein intake so as to find a balance in the plan that is optimum for you. Eggs also have carbs (approx. 0.6 per egg), while negligible, it can add up quickly. We do, however, eat tons of vegetables (I haven't eaten this many salads or low-glycemic veggies in years!).

While high intake of protein can be detrimental to the health of your kidneys (although there are not any studies proving this true *or* false), Atkins, if done properly (many people say they're following Atkins, but they're actually following some bastardized version of it), does not affect their functionality <see http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/18-578467.html>. In following the plan, it is also mandated that you consume a minimum 64 oz. of water per day, many consume twice that amount or more <http://atkins.com/helpatkins/newfaq/answers/HowMuchWaterShouldAPersonDoingAtkinsBeDrinking.html>. Remaining hydrated should be an important goal for anyone-- dieting or not.

Dr. Buynak hit the nail on the head when he said that "...there is no one-size-fits-all diet." While low-carbohydrate diets are working for many, they are not the perfect plan for everyone. Heck, look at Weight Watchers & Jenny Craig- they obviously work for some people otherwise they wouldn't be in business. At one point I saw a dietician and strictly followed the guidlines of the food pyramid and the AHA plan. I was semi-active and was consuming 1300 calories/day. I gained an average of 5 lbs./month. The beauty of Atkins is that it can be customized (within means) to fit the needs of an individual. Vegetarians have even found a way to make Atkins work for them. The most important fact to remember while following the plan is that it is a way of life, not some quick fix to melt some fast pounds-- taking aim at the impatience that quite a few dieters employ. While it may have taken many years to add on the excess weight, we want it gone now (who wouldn't want it that way). Many low-carbers (such as myself) will be following this lifestyle for the rest of their lives. I am only 29 yrs. old and had been battling genetically high cholesterol/triglycerides, a suppressed immune system, weight problems, and Type II Diabetes for a while before my doctor recommended Atkins. By lowering my carb intake, I was able abolish the idea of taking medication for the Diabetes (all diet controlled), I have strengthened my immune system to where I do not get more than 1-2 colds per year, I've lost weight, my cholesterol and triglycerides are normal for the first time in years without the aid of medication, and I do not get migraines 2-3x/month like I once had (more like 2-3/yr. now). I am only one among many who has tried or follows Atkins, but I know that this way of life has given me a second chance at having a lifestyle free from medications, a life that I am able to enjoy daily.

To read more about Atkins, visit <http://atkins.com/index.html>, be sure to check out <http://atkins.com/why/debunking-the-myths.html>. Another resource to read about the trials, tribulations and successes of low-carbers, visit <http://forum.lowcarber.org/>.

Thank you for your time.
Nichole C.
Chesterton

Quote:

Hello Nichole,

You are so right, and thanks for sharing your insights.
I will check out those web sites asap.

Thanks again.

Jerry Davich
The Times of NWIndiana
Doesn't make me feel much better, but at least he knows that people are paying attention to what he writes and that he should do a bit more fact checking before getting a story to print. No deadline is worth publishing half-truths and fallacies.

Happy LCing!
Nikki

Last edited by Tiggerdy : Thu, Jan-15-04 at 14:04.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 16:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Rose said. "The downside with any diet is that eventually you have to come off of it."

True enough of "starve youself, feel hungry all the time and eat foods you hate until you can't stand it anymore" diets.
Good thing I'm not on a diet...I changed my eating habits for life.
I take it Ms. Rose hasn't heard of the phase of Atkins called "maintainence" and failed to miss the part in the book where you don't go off the diet...you move to maintainence and make it a lifestyle choice for the rest of your life. Funny...isn't that what dieticians have been preaching for decades...that you have to make permanent changes to see permanent results? If you accept that it's inevitable that someone is eventually going to go off your diet (and if it's that great, why do people look forward to the day they can quit dieting?), how permanent are those changes?