Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-10, 08:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/244/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Breastfeeding mommy with modified Atkins

So who else is a breastfeeder and what do you do? I try to eat low carb but do eat some to ensure that Hayden is fine. Like yesterday I had my no carb coffee, eggs wth cheese, hamburger with cheese and mayo with two turkey hot dogs and then for dinner I had two blts with the family with the bread. I drink water and diet drinks all day. So can you post a typical day for me to see? I really need to lose my baby weight that I have gained over the past 5 years with our last 3 children! Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-10, 18:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I breastfed for 10 mo and did fine on induction levels. I made sure my calories where high 2300-2800 and tried to make sure I got plenty of fat. I struggle with milk supply but not because of my diet, and I definitly produce more when my fat intake is up.

breakfast
3-4 eggs fried in butter cheese on top

Lunch
meat and maybe a lc veggies side

Supper
Meat and lc side

I try to get 3T of coconut oil in per day. Coconut oil has some of the same kinds of fats in it as breasmilk and my DD seemed to get fuller faster( richer milkk?) when I make sure I get CO.

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-10, 13:47

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I breastfed while on strict low carb, and lost three stone without reducing volume of milk or affecting taste. I was tandem nursing at the time, so my toddler got all "milk expert" on me, and told me what my milk tasted like every day. It ranged from Strawberry yogurt to Warm Ice-cream.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 01:21

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Helen H - LOL at your toddler expert!! My toddler just likes to tell me the different flavours for the day. It seems like icecream to her and she just names different flavours each day! 3 stone is fantastic by the way! Well done!

Twistermom - I do low carb with dairy (not milk though) but I don't count my carbs. I eat plenty of vegetables but I stay away from high carb potato, sweetcorn, peas, carrots, etc. I don't generally eat any fruit, which is sad as all the stone fruits are in at the moment!
I have recently discovered cauliflower rice (see recipe forum) and have been having plenty of risotto and pizza!
Just be careful of having too many hot dogs or other processed meats. There are often hidden carbs and I found last time that they were a real danger to me.

Best way to keep up the milk supply is with plenty of dietary fat so low carb is general perfect as long as you aren't trying to do a low fat version.

My diet today:

Breakfast - leftover cauliflower pizza (I topped it with some chicken and veggie, cream and cheese bake thingy that I made the day before!)

snack
Cream cheese with stevia, vanilla essence and coconut cream (like a cheesecake - but I make it up in a small serve so I am not tempted to have more)

Lunch - more cauliflower pizza

snack - almonds

snack - cream cheese with stevia, vanilla essence and cream (different version!)

dinner - mince meat with a bit of low carb pasta sauce on my "pasta" of zucchini strips with cheese on top.