Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:32

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 150/140/125
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile Metformin success story

Hi Girls,

I just wanted to share my good news for those of you who are on metformin and are wondering about how it will work for you...

I started showing symptoms of PCOS about a year ago. My weight skyrocketed from 125 to 150 in 2 months, hair started growing on my sideburns, chin, nipples, and lower abdomen. I stopped getting a period on my own, so my doctor gave me provera every three months to induce one.

I was doing my own research and started low-carbing, and I also heard a lot of great things about metformin, so I went to my doctor and insisted she refer me to a gynecologist. I don't know why she didn't do it sooner, but my gyn immediately gave me a metformin prescription and since DH and I are TTC, she told me to stop taking provera for the next six months. I started metformin on May 24th and on June 3rd, I got a period on my own for the first time in a year! I am now charting my temperature and have yet to determine if I'm ovulating or not...I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks!

I wanted to share my story because I remember how anxious I was when I first started taking met and I was looking for anything that would give me some optimism that it would work. Good luck to all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/190/115
BF:39%/33%/15%
Progress: 35%

Yeah, that is great. I started taking met on March 12, 2003 and even though I am getting cycels every 45 days I am getting one at least.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 16:08

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 150/140/125
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Lean,

That's great to hear that it worked for you too. I'm still waiting to see if I'm ovulating this month...I'm afraid I may be one of those cases that have periods but don't ovulate...although I'm hoping that's not what happens. Do you know if you're ovulating? If so, how long after starting met did you ovulate?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 03:16

Plan: Lower carbing
Stats: 420/322/144 Female 69in
BF:
Progress:

I never had such luck on Metformin. I have PCOS which led to me having diabetes (had loads of fasting tests until one proved positive on 16th Nov 2001) Anyway they put me on 1500mg of Metformin for PCOS and my diabetes - it actually stopped my periods........ and did nothing for me apart from making me throw up, have very very bad stomach cramps and horrendous diahorrea (which basically stopped me going out anywhere). After coming off of it, my blood sugars went up (understandably) but my periods came back. Back on another diabetic medication but I'd never ever go back to Metformin. Please be careful with this pill - in some incidences it's pretty agressive........
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

Huh, I took myself off of metformin when I decided to start Atkins. I don't know why, I just thought I shouldn't have too many things messing with my blood sugar at once. I have a docs appt this Thursday and was going to ask about it...and still will, but good to know that people do both.... thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 21:39

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

well my friend was on fertility drug clomid to try and have a baby and was then given metformin as a new trial drug for fertility and guess what after the first month on it she was pregnant,,, so if you are considering a child then good luck,,if not be aware that it does help fertility,,,,,,,,
I had one child by IVF and desperate for another but my doctor has advised I not go on the metformin till I get some weight off, so I have been doing atkins for 6 weeks and lost 13.2 pounds (about 6 kilo for us aussies) he is scared of going on the metformin will get my pregnant at this weight and the pill is toxic to me,,, to I wish you all the best..... come to my journal and keep in touch if you like,,, regards jordy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 13:41
Registered Member

Stats: 257.4/207.9/165
BF:no idea
Progress: 54%
Default my story

Hi all,

I haven't been posting much but i am reading people's views on pcos and different methods of treating it. Well, i was diagnosed 5 years ago when the dr also found out that i was glucose intolerant. I started having periods 3, then 4 and later 6 months apart... it was terrible... i was gaining weight like crazy, you know the story i am sure... i was put on metformin and taken on its own with no other lifestyle adjustment it didn't do much; it did lessen the glucose intolerance symptoms though.

I started Atkins 11 March this year and apart from the impressive - for me - weight loss it appears that it worked for my pcos too. I was at the dr yesterday and had an ultrasound. Guess what - no cysts watsoever! Nothing! And i did have a period this month and dr said that a nice, healthy looking egg is about to start it's trip! I was thrilled!

What i really want to say is that in my view it's the combination of medication and lowcarbing that did it for me. Hopefully my periods will come back to normal and my TTC efforts will be successful. So keep looking for what works best for each one of you, there is a solution!

Good luck to you all

Maria
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 17:45

Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

what a great weight loss maria,,,I really hope it helps me,, would love another child and hoping to concieve naturally, well,,, as natural as I can, i am waiting till my doctor gives me the all clear for the medication,, till then he said I am doing great with 26 pound weight loss in 7 weeks,,, so as long as I am loosing on my own he said keep going,,,eventually he said when the weight coming off slows down I will then need the drugs,,, I`m confused with this decision, but said its the a great way to start.............anyway wish you all luck... bye,,keep in contact through my journal maria,,do you have one? bye
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:51

Plan: modified zone
Stats: 283/201/187 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Some months ago I had considered using similar drug to aid in my weight loss. As a male physician, I believe that perimenopause and PCOS are quite underecognized and/or late treated ( if at all!!).
I hope that Maria's doctor takes a minute to publish the report of this (disappearance of cysts)..a picture is worth a thousand words educating doctors or anyone. Congratulations.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:30

Plan: Atkins / IF / High Fat
Stats: 325/320/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I also concieved after taking Glucophage & Chlomid (4 months of just Glucophage and 1 round of Chlomid) Prior to that I had been TTC for 2+ years. I didn't know that I wasn't ovulating. I had periods evey 45-90 days and assumed that I was. Periods do not equal ovualtion. BBT charts solved that mystery for me.

Fast forward 2 more years.... my twins are now 13 months old. I am now LC'ing to lose weight, control my insulin levels and hopefully ovulate on my own. I also was prescribed Glucophage again but am presently not taking it.

I've been charting my BBT and it shows that I did ovulate last month. I'll know in a few more days if I ovulated this month. I would consider that a major victory if I did.