Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 14:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/286/180
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Where did my irritable bowel go?

For a year now, since my gallbladder was removed, I've had IBS. I could eat a sausage patty or bacon and would be doubled over in agony with sweat pouring down my face. No bathroom was close enuff. So, I ate MORE grits and bisquits to make up for it! I'm from the South! I quit smoking too...the weight PILED on.
I've been on Atkins for a week now and I have ate LOTS of sausage, bacon, steak etc...and haven't had even a TWINGE of stomach pain! HOW CAN THIS BE? Am I cured? I've even lost 8 Lbs. in one week! That's a miracle in itself!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 14:10

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Joan,

Quite a few people have reported the same "side affect" from LC'ing, their IB stuff seems to melt away - or at least cut down greatly. My husband is one of those too - isn't Low Carbing grand!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 15:13

Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%

Not sure about the IBS, Joan, but the 8lbs is AWESOME...I know, cause I also lost 8lbs since the 11th of this month. Keep up the great work!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 15:28

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Congratulations on the IBS and the 8 pounds! You have really had double success. I have been plagued with IBS for a long time. At my worst, I lost 70 pounds and most of my hair and skin color. It was so bad that I never went anywhere unless I knew where the public restroom was. I can't count the number of times I was in the restroom at the grocery store - I couldn't last that long. After the worst years were over, it never went away completely. I have spent so many evenings running back and forth to the bathroom all night long.

Since low-carbing my IBS is completely gone. Totally and completely. I was very surprised, I had not anticipated that at all. I was afraid to eat the fats. It is darn near a miracle!! I couldn't be happier. I would have to eat this way forever even if I never lost another pound. It seems like I just don't digest complex carbs whatsover. Pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread really are my culprits. I think the stuff just pours through me. And the fats, make me feel good. Just the opposite of what I always thought. I am kind of bitter that my physician was so far off base about it. Good Luck and welcome to a life away from running to the bathroom anywhere and everywhere! Cindi
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 18:18

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 176/165/144
BF:
Progress: 34%
Thumbs up

Hi All,
I too used to suffer with IBS or so the doctor told me. Now on Atkins it has disappeared. I came off Atkins for a couple of months (never again), but found my IBS did not return. Why? I believe it is because I did not re-introduce milk back into my diet during my Atkins relapse. Basically, I have now come to the conclusion that I am lactose intolerant. To be truthful I didn’t believe the doctor’s IBS diagnosis at the time, because as far as I knew IBS was swinging between diarrhoea and constipation when in fact I was constantly diarrhoeic. It seemed to be worse when I ate rich fatty foods. But as I say on Atkins it has gone, even though I am of course eating fatty foods!!

regrds
ja
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-03, 14:31

Stats: 270/250/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Congratulations on the weight loss and feeling better...

To too have IBS. I had constant stomach pain and bloating as well. I have been on Atkins since Feb 1st and I hardly have any problems any more. Once in a while but nothing like before and I have lost 11 lbs. I feel that this way of eating really agrees with my body..Maybe I had an intolerance to carbs and that was what was causing it..I really don't know but I am soooo glad I am feeling so much better..

Last edited by Alaskagirl : Tue, Feb-18-03 at 14:33.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 15:51

Stats: 152/132/132 Female 67 in
BF:33%/15%/12%
Progress: 100%
Default is it really gone?

I have had IBS for years as well. It went away for two months when I started Atkins. I was amazed that I could have "normal" bm's...and it lasted for two months.
Now the IBS is back with a vengeance...and I am still low-carbing. I write down everything. I don't know what is causing it. I haven't changed anything.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 01:25

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Could you maybe getting too much magnesium? (Rolaids are loaded with it, for example) My sister thought she had IBS for years until she discovered/realized they had magnesium in them. When she switched to Tums (no magnesium) her symptoms went away. (She has a haiatal hernia and eats Tums like candy to keep the symptoms down. I keep badgering her to get Nexium, but she doesn't like going to docs)