Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 12:32
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default I need help with Mom's IBS!

My 74 y.o. mother has a history of hypoglycemia, IBS and arthritis. I've encouraged her to start an LC diet thinking it would improve these health issues. She's not overweight, except for about 10#, which she's already lost within 2-3 weeks since starting LC. She was thrilled with LC in the beginning, but has begun to suffer with some disturbing symptoms and I'm not sure where to lead her from here.

She's been following a typical LC diet....high in fat, probably too high in dairy for her, taking a multivitamin 3x/day and fish oil. A typical menu might be cottage cheese and fruit or eggs/bacon for bkfst, tuna/mayo/crackers for lunch, baked chicken or hamburger patty and vegetable for dinner. Last week she became so nauseous that she vomited 3x in one day. Her nausea continues and now she's complaining of her lower bowel and colon "hurting". She's been experiencing a feeling of anxiety since the shuttle disaster last Saturday. I thought the nausea might be caused by ketosis, so I encouraged her to increase her carbs (with fruit and vegetables, but NO wheat), especially since she's lost all the weight she wants to lose. I told her to make sure she's getting plenty of water. She thinks her multivitamins are making her IBS worse so she's stopped taking them. She is afraid of adding fruit and veggies saying that much fiber makes her IBS worse. In the past I believe she's controlled her IBS with a HIGH carb diet, low dairy and lower fat. She had a lot of sugar, potatoes, rice and pasta. After reading a bit more about IBS, I'm even more confused on what to recommend for her.

Any ideas out there???? Where do we go from here?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 12:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Has she been to see a doctor to rule out a virus / flu ?

Low fiber diets are also recommended for Crohn's patients - everyone seems to believe that this is what causes the upset. I know from first hand experience that fiber wasn't the problem for John - it was grains, and only grains.

Re the anxiety / panick attacks, is she taking potassium?

N
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 13:03
Starting Over!

Hey Nat!! LTNS!!

No, she hasn't been to the doc....that' what I thought at first too, but it's been several days now... and now with the colon becoming irritated, I figured she knew her own body enough to distinguish the two.

I remembered you talking about the grains with John,...that's one of the reasons I told her to stay OFF of wheat completely. When she was getting nauseous, she was trying to keep her diet bland and added some bread, noodles and crackers back in to her diet the last couple of days. I told her to get off that stuff completely, don't be afraid of the fiber, eat her veggies, one fruit a day, and lower dairy. Told her to give it 3-4 days with no wheat and she how she feels.

She said she just feels "funny"...anxious or somethinig....can't put her finger on it. I considered dehydration... and a potassium deficiency. But now she's gotten off her vitamins. You think I should tell her to get on a potas. supp?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 13:37

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 186/161/138 Female 65 inches
BF:38/30ish/?
Progress: 52%

The week I did no veggies at all was the week my gut felt better than ever before. So, she's probably right when she says veggies make her hurt.

Veggies can just go through too fast.

I think it's important to becareful changing the diet of someone her age. Do it slowly. And perhaps it wouldn't hurt to try fewer veggies with her. Everything will be harder for her system to digest.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 15:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Hi Teri,

I agree with Annette. I have found I can now eat plenty of vegies, but increasing them suddenly gave me dreadful symptoms.

As for the nausea and vomiting, it's hard to say for sure. It could just be the sudden change in eating, but even though she may feel she knows her body (and I'm sure she does) it might not hurt to get a doctor to check. After all, she hasn't had nausea and vomiting before, has she?

I agree too that it could be dehydration (especially if she's been vomiting) and/or potassium deficiency.

I wish I could give you something more definite, matey. That magic wand could come in handy! But I think you are definitely doing the right thing by encouraging her to eat LC. My IBS symptoms (it turns out now it's diverticular disease but the symptoms are the same) have virtually disappeared since eating LC.

Roz
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 15:58
Starting Over!

Ok, then .... let me post the question another way....

What CAN she eat????? Help!!!!!

Few veggies
no carbs = no fruit, no pasta, no grains, no rice, no starchy anything
no dairy

uh....what's left? nuts? a few veggies, and meat? She'll never go for it. Ack!!!

I'm looking into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet...thinking of ordering the book... anyone read it? followed the diet?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 16:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

That's a hard one, Teri.

Perhaps she can tolerate some rice? We are all so different that one person can handle, another can't so it's difficult to just have all the answers.

I'd be inclined to suggest some chicken with creamy sauces, eggs, and various eggy dishes and fish dishes to supplement the meat.

Sorry I haven't heard anything about The Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

The only other thing I can think of is to perhaps email the Atkins site and see if they have any suggestions.

Roz
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 16:44
Starting Over!

Ok, it's been 6 hours since my first conversation with Mom today.... she said she had a good salad at lunch and drank lots of water. She's feeling MUCH better. I'll keep checking on her twice a day or so and keep you posted.

I really love my mommy and want her to feel well. I certainly don't want to be responsible for hurting her

Thanks you guys... I appreciate your input SOOOO much.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 22:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Terry, I did a google on Potassium and Anxiety and I got pages of hits, read through a few, but internet access at work lately has been the pits. It sounds like it might be a definite possibility though. Magnesium deficiency was also mentioned.

I agree with Roz on the rice - for some it's not 'all grains' but specifically gluten that is the problem. Rice, oats and gluten free products might not be a problem for her.

HTH
Nat
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 06:52
Starting Over!

thanks, Nat.... I'll do the search myself and read up. I gave her a list of high-potassium foods. I've already advised oats and rice, too.... basically go back to a diet she feels safe with, except to avoid all wheat gluten...so it feels like I'm on the right track now. I'll check on her twice a day.

Thanks you guys, there's no one I trust more.....

XOXO
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 09:11

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default hope your mom is feeling better!

Hi! I was really nauseus on atkins the first three weeks. Turns out I had candida, and it was from the candida dying off. Don't know if that will help you, but it could be a possibility. I wonder if taking a probiotic would be good for her. My kids take it, they make a child's dose of it, so that might be a good mild version for her.

It is great that you are getting her to eat this way, it can only have benefits, I think. It is a BIG change, so she should take it slow. I also read in Prevention magazine this month that cooked vegetables are much easier to digest.

Take care of you mom, and yourself!

-Jess
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 09:19
Starting Over!

Thanks, Jess for the idea of taking the children's version of the probiotics.... she's SOOO leary of taking any kind of vitamins or pills of any kind. I'll try to encourage her to do this.

Do you think (if she has candida) that it would die off even if she was still eating dairy?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 12:59

Question dairy

Right now I am still eating some dairy, just cream, butter and cream cheese or mozzerella. (did I spell that right?) I think that some of the anti-yeast diets say no dairy at all, but after giving up so much, I just can't give up those few things. I think the best thing to give up is sugar, starch and wheat.

Also had an idea, since your mom has IBS, the amino acid L-glutamine might really help her. I think you can get it in a powdered form if she can't swallow pills. L-glutamine is very helpful and soothing for any tummy problems, and will help to heal.

By the way, the probiotic I give my kids is chewable, I got it from Whole foods Market - by Nutrition Now, called Rhino FOS and Acidophilus.

Hope it helps!!!!

-Jess
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 13:02

Default forgot to mention...

In Dr. Atkins Vita Nutient Solution book, he suggests 5-12 grams of glutamine per day. That is alot, most capsules are 500 mg.

He also suggests Pantethine, and alot of other things. If you don't have the book, I can write back the list for you.

-Jess
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 15:44
Starting Over!

Yeah, Jess...I would like to get her on glutamine, too....but she has become pill-o-phobic. She says everything upsets her stomach. I definitely want to get her started on acidopholus and asked her to start taking some today or tomorrow...small or children's doses, as you suggested. When she's feeling a little better, I'll definitely get her started on glutamine. Right now, I don't know if she trusts me!!!