Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 08:08

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

The only kind in my area is Spectrum Naturals organic expeller pressed, but then says refined for medium high heat. What's that all about? It does say mechanically expeller pressed without hexane or other harmful chemicals.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 04:49

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Gail,
I started out using spectrum naturals, but I wouldn't buy it now since I've tried better coconut oils. If you are using it just for frying, it wouldnt be too bad.

All coconut oil can be heated to high temperatures so "refined for high heat" is just BS advertising.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 08:35
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've tried the Tropical Traditions, Garden of Life, and Spectrum Naturals brands. The Spectrum Naturals brand, which is available at my local health food store, is not pure white like the others and has a somewhat nasty taste. I agree with MoseyMan that it is best left for frying. THe Garden of Life, which is also available at my local health food store but costs more, is very white and has a distinctly coconut flavor. It's especially good in instances where you might want that flavor, such as candies or frying shrimp. I order the Tropical Traditions virgin coconut oil on-line in bulk and it is therefore the least expensive. It's white and has only a slight coconut taste, making it good for just about anything that you might use an oil for. However, if you're eating it straight out of the jar, the Garden of Life is best.

I like to make candies that I eat for energy at breakfast and during the day. I mix:

2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 slightly heaping tablespoon cooca powder (unsweetened)
2 packets splenda or other low carb sweetener
Optional - add raw coconut, nuts, cinnamon, or any flavoring as desired.
Finally, mix in 1 tablespoon cream (if you prefer dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate you can skip this).

I divide the mixture among 6 mini size foil baking cups and let it harden in the freezer or refrigerator. These are the little disposable foil cups (Reynolds brand). I've also used paper baking cups (like small cupcake papers), but the candies tend to stick to the sides of those. They don't stick to the foil, so it's neater.

Last edited by CarolynC : Sat, Apr-16-05 at 12:58.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 157/153/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I'm inspired to try this - it seems to fit perfectly with everything I need in my diet. I need to keep my fat really high, and I find that nothing satisfies like saturated fat. And then I'm coming off of a long hypo thyroid phase, so I'd love a little boost there. And in addition I am currently fighting a yeast overgrowth! I have heard this mentioned before as a good anti-fungal, so I think I'm ready. Thanks for all the good info. CarolynC, thanks for listing the brands you like. What about you, MoseyMan? You seem to be the coconut oil king here - what are your favorites?
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 16:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/198/150 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 31%

When I first started this WOL I was using the garden of life CO. I really liked it. I would spread it on LC bread in the AM or even eat it raw. I has a good cocconut taste, but it does take getting used to.

My last trip to the health food store, they were all out of the garden of life, so I bought the Natural Spectrums. BIG DIFFERENCE. I tried this one as is, and I wont do that again. I use it mainly to fry my eggs and saute my veggies, etc. I cant wait until tis container is gone.

I have never tried the Tropical Traditions.

Here is a quick question::: my Natural Spectrums CO has some small bubble-looking things at the bottom of the jar....What are those? Can I eat them, should I throw it away when I get down that low...I am assuming they are air bubbles...
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 16:09
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Just in case you do have yeast overgrowth, you'll want to start out slow with the coconut oil, TwoCats. Maybe a tablespoon a day at first and slowly work up to 3-4 tablespoons. As the yeast dies off, you may feel bad (especially if you have a lot of yeast)--upset stomach, diarrhea, fatigue, etc. You won't feel as bad if you kill the yeast off more slowly.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 17:39

BF:

I used to buy this for 27 bucks locally:
http://www.livesuperfoods.com/store...&ppinc=moreInfo

Now I buy coco oil supreme online for 80 a gallon just because its cheaper by the gallon.
http://www.coconutoil-online.com/PRODUCTS.html

I think the bubbles are just bubbles; its hard to make coco oil go rancid.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Right after I take a tbsp of coconut oil in my coffee I tend to feel nauseated and later have digestive problems. I also forget to eat half the day! Could that be a yeast dieoff problem. I was on strong antibiotics for 3 months last year then high doses of prednisone. I take probiotics or I have really bad indigestion, my dr had mentioned it maybe yeast overgrowth.

Btw I used to do a 10 minute massage daily with CO it made my skin look really nice.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 22:34
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 157/153/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

CarolynC - thanks for the warning about the die-off. I will start slow, but I think I'll probably be okay as I'm already taking several anti-fungals and my die-off seemed to subside after the second week. I think I'll sub in CO and rotate out one of them - I keep reading about how I should be rotating anti-fungals. Also that I should always take or eat something anti-fungal, even when I'm through with the yeast overgrowth, just for maintenance. And this seems like the perfect option.

I'm also glad to know that there are tastier options than the Spectum Naturals, as I have that now and it doesn't taste the greatest so I hardly ever eat it - I just use it to keep my cast iron pans nice and lubricated. I will check out some of the brands that you all have been mentioning. Thanks everyone!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 07:26

BF:

Nawchem,

Coconut oil did the same thing to me in the begining. I have digestion problems which I keep in check with 24 hour yogurt. (more probiotics in the yogurt than the pills)

An old trick is to take a bit of apple cider vinegar in water (I know, disgusting!) And if that works, you need more acid in your stomach.

Good Luck, Mosey
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 07:31
Registered Member

Thanks Mosey Man glad to know its a normal reaction. I had tests done on my digestion everything was optimal except very low bacteria. I take probiotics and fiber but yogurt works the best- I recently cut it out for lowcarb because its 8 carbs in a cup

It is very strange how the oil seems to take my hunger away. It is so not me to forget to eat. But I like it.

I haven't felt cold at all. I took my morning temp yesterday 98.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 08:02

BF:

Nawchem,

Ive read that fiber in those fiber drinks and pills promote yeast. I get my fiber from coconut flour made from coconut flakes and almonds I grind and make into muffins.

The yogurt I make is on the SCD diet, its 2 carbs per cup because its fermented for 24 hours (regular is only fermented for 4 hours). Instructions are in my journal and links on bacteria/microflora, and muffin recipe.

Transient microflora are found in dirt, those are the ones most people lack because of washing veggies too much. I prefer MegaFlora brand of probiotics for this reason; it has both resident and transient. I guess dirt is good for us!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 10:51
Registered Member

Thanks Mosey,
weird question. I go hiking often-nature walk daily. So if I'm hiking and eat lunch there is no way to wash my dirty hands. Do you think I'm getting the transient bacteria that way?
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 04:56

BF:

Nawchem,

If you are touching the ground, yes! We need that bacteria on an almost daily basis. Nature's dirt is healthy for us - a lot healthier than the 'dirt' inside houses.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 07:12
Me and My DH

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/235/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 41%

Phooey!!

I just searched three grocery stores in our area (I was in a hurry or I would have waited to go to a health food place) and the only coconut oil I could find was the Spectrum Naturals Gailew described. I am so disappointed to read that it isn't very good!! I was very excited to see it as that was the only store that had any at all. Is it really yucky? I haven't opened it yet. And, if you use it to fry things like eggs or ground turkey/beef/chicken, how does it affect the taste of foods? I would like to hear your opinions. And, I am going to look for the Garden of Life coconut oil when I have a chance -- how much more expensive is it??