Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/241/140
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default My doctor won't take me seriously

I have many of the symptoms of PCOS. When i was 17 I had a cyst burst and twist my ovaries around. I'm 100 lbs. overweight and have a very difficult time losing anything. I tried atkins about a year ago and everything started getting better - but I just couldn't stay with it. A week after I started eating carbs my symptoms started getting worse again. I told all this to my general physician and he said it was just the result of losing weight. He told he didn't want me to low carb again and gave me a 1200 calorie diet to follow - which was even harder to do then low carb. I lost a whopping 2 lbs. in a month and a half. I totally gave up at that point. I've been binging now for a few months. I just started low carbing again today - I want to stick with it this time and make a lifelong change.
I couldn't get my doctor to take me seriously when I told him I was concerned that my problem might be PCOS. He laughed and said that I should just concentrate on losing weight and most of my problems will go away. Does anyone have any idea how to get a doctor to consider that I might have PCOS? Has anyone seen a complete turn around of sypmyoms with the low carb lifestyle? Is it possible to just get better with this way of eating in which case I can just forget the official diagnoses and take care of this with diet and exercise?
Thank you in advance for any information.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 18:23

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Cool well..

My personal opinion is that you are going to have to change your Doctor.
THERE are doctors out there that will look at you and take it seriously.
AND IT is something to take very seriously. This is not a syndrome to trust in the hands of someone that is coming off to me as a bit mysoginistic and prejudiced against those of us with systems that are WAY out of balance.
YOU keep at it. YOu stay determined till someone will take you seriously with your questions.
And the ladies on this board are great!
You take care of you!
Poofie!

OH.. ps.. your not his daughter. your not his prisioner. YOU get to choose. YOU are the customer and HE is there to serve YOU.. not the other way around. .. so you make the decisions for you!
OKay?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me13.jpg (17.3 KB, 7 views)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 317/290/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default I agree with Poofie...

It took me 10 years and a string of doctors too long to count to find one that finally took me seriously. I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago but the doctor knew nothing about it other than to diagnose it. Since then I have fought a battle that, at times, felt all uphill. I finally found a nurse practictioner and an ob/gyn that take everything seriously. I was put on glucophage and have been checking in with her monthly since then. I'm hoping to get rid of the birth control pills soon.

Don't give up, get out and find another doctor! There is a good website at www.pcosupport.org that lists doctors that are PCOS-friendly in different states, you may want to check it out to see if you can find someone else to help you. There are options out there for you, don't give up on your health!

Jen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 11:26

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I have PCOS, have had for as long as I can remember and I'm now going to a doctor that is very willing to help me heal this syndrome. You have to be very proactive in your care, and not let one doctor control you. I see you live in Southern California, most of us so far posting are using the Schwarzbein Principle, Dr. Diana Schwarzbein lives and practices in Santa Barbara, you may want to look at her book if Atkins is too hard for you to follow. She is an endocrineologist and treats to body as a whole, that when one system is out of wack, then others will follow. The idea is to heal the body and weight loss will follow.
My Doctor, has been working with me because I'm ready to do what I need to do, he doesn't push things until I feel I'm ready to make a change. In July when I went in, I was feeling need to be accountable for what I eat, to just maintain some focus, at the time I was thinking weight watchers, but I wanted some info, he told me it was probably too high carb for me, and mentioned body for life, when I asked more about that he felt that it would still be too high carb and that I should decrease the carb and increase the protien. So I left on a search for what would work, thank goodness my sister PoofieD, has done alot of research and reading and mentioned Dr. Schwarzbein to me. When I picked up the book I knew that was what I was looking for.
The Point is your Dr. hasn't done any research into PCOS and the resulting syndrome, you need to find someone that will proactively work with you and what you need to do for your health. Good luck and we will all be here for you in this effort.
Tanya
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 17:10

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Totally agree with what everyone else has been saying. This doctor doesn't have a clue. He is an idiot. How dare he laugh at you? Many of us have had to go through this type of thing but it's worth persevering till you find someone good. Here is a list of doctors in California

http://www.pcosupport.org/membershi....php#California

California
Ricardo Azziz, MD, MPH
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
8635 W. Third St. Suite 160W
Los Angeles, CA 90048 USA
(310) 423-3361

Nicholas A. Cataldo, MD
Specialty: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Secondary Specialty: Gynecology
Stanford University Medical Center
300 Pasteur Drive, MC 5317
Stanford, CA 94305-5317
(650)498-7911, #3

R. Jeffrey Chang, MD
Specialty: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
UCSD School of Medicine
9500 Gilman Drive
Suite BSB 5040
La Jolla, CA 92093-0633 USA
(858) 534-8930

Daniel Einhorn, M.D.
Specialty: Endocrinology
Scripps Whittier Institute
9850 Genessee Avenue, #415
La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Phone: (858) 622-7200
Fax: (858) 622-7211

Linda Carmen Giudice, MD / PhD
Specialty: Reproductive Endocrinology / Infertility
Stanford University Medical Center
Department of Gyn/Ob, Room HH333
Stanford, CA 94305-5317 USA
(650) 489-7911 #3

Robert A. Greene, MD
Specialty: Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
Secondary Specialty: Obstetrics & Gynecology
Specialty Care for Women
1255 East Street, Suite 201
Redding, CA 96001, United States
Phone: 530-244-9052
lisah~specialtycare4women.com
www.specialtycare4women.com

Sidika E. Kasim-Karakas, MD
UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento
4150 V Street, Suite G400
Sacramento, CA 95817 USA
(916) 734-3761

Deborah Metzger, MD
Specialty: Reproductive Endocrinology
Secondary Specialty: Infertility, Gynecology
2101 Forrest Ave.
Suite 220
San Jose, CA 95128, United States
Phone: 408-999-7900
www.helenahealth.com

I. Lane Wong, MD, FACOG
Specialty: Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
9900 Talbert Ave. Ste. 201
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 378-5566
www.2reproduce.com

Christo Zouves, MD
Specialty: IVF
901 Campus Drive
Daly City, CA 94015
(650)301-4933
info~GoIVF.com
www.GoIVF.com

Hopefully some of these will help you.

-
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/241/140
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Thank you

I've recently change insurance co. and am in search of a new dr. That list gives me a good starting point. Thank you all for the encouragement and advice.