Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 06:59
Registered Member

Plan: vegetarian LC
Stats: 136/133/120 Female 5ft 6in
BF:27
Progress: 19%
Default Induction recipes

Hi, does anyone have any easy recipes, with not many ingredients, suitable for for a veggie (back!) on induction?

I'm not much of a cook and I really miss the curries, chillis and casseroles I used to make using carb-laden shop bought sauces. I like to use quorn and soya as meat replacements, but I also like "veg-only" meals a lot too.

I've looked on the recipes forum, but there's very little that'd be suitable, so I wondered if anyone here could help - I'd really appreciate it.

I don't eat meat or fish, but eggs and dairy are fine.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 22:02

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Have you ever had scamorza? It's an Italian appetizer that I make as a meal a lot.

I use sliced Japanese eggplant (regular eggplant is fine, too), zucchini, and red bell pepper, rubbed with olive oil and roasted on a baking sheet in the oven at 450 for 15 minutes or so. Then I melt some kind of smoked cheese (mozzarella usually, but you could experiment) for another 5-10 minutes.

I serve it with roast asparagus and a mixture of mayo/mustard/curry powder. Super yummy!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 22:30

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I agree, it is hard at first to find induction recipes. I had a lot of trouble with that too initially.

Here are some things I ate on induction for dinner:

- cooked spaghetti squash with alfredo sauce and salad
- stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with spinach and cream cheese)
- taco salad (enchilada sauce - you have to measure, this can get carby), cheese, salsa, 1/2 avacado, sour cream on a bed of lettuce
- portabello mushrooms sauteed with canned tomatoes and spices topped with mozz
- soups (just used veggie broth)

if you are missing chili, here is a good Chili con carne recipe that instead of beef, just use veggie crumbles. (I also cut the recipe in half) You will have to leave out the soy beans of course.

Also, here is my favorite recipe site of all time. All induction friendly recipes are marked. If you click on main dishes, you will see that there is a vegetarian section and a lot of the ground beef ones will be perfectly acceptable by substituting veggie crumbles or something similar.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Oct-30-06 at 09:33. Reason: updating link
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 05:17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasix
Have you ever had scamorza? It's an Italian appetizer that I make as a meal a lot.

I use sliced Japanese eggplant (regular eggplant is fine, too), zucchini, and red bell pepper, rubbed with olive oil and roasted on a baking sheet in the oven at 450 for 15 minutes or so. Then I melt some kind of smoked cheese (mozzarella usually, but you could experiment) for another 5-10 minutes.

I serve it with roast asparagus and a mixture of mayo/mustard/curry powder. Super yummy!

Thanks Nicola, I do sometimes eat something very like that, but I didn't know it was scamorza, I shall think it much more exotic now!

Haven't tried anything like your sauce tho, which sounds delish. I'll definately try that - do you use american or english mustard? And how much do you make - just enough for a dip, or do you pour it over the whole lot?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 05:20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoiles
I agree, it is hard at first to find induction recipes. I had a lot of trouble with that too initially.

Here are some things I ate on induction for dinner:

- cooked spaghetti squash with alfredo sauce and salad
- stuffed mushrooms (stuffed with spinach and cream cheese)
- taco salad (enchilada sauce - you have to measure, this can get carby), cheese, salsa, 1/2 avacado, sour cream on a bed of lettuce
- portabello mushrooms sauteed with canned tomatoes and spices topped with mozz
- soups (just used veggie broth)

if you are missing chili, here is a good Chili con carne recipe that instead of beef, just use veggie crumbles. (I also cut the recipe in half) You will have to leave out the soy beans of course.

Also, here is my favorite recipe site of all time. All induction friendly recipes are marked. If you click on main dishes, you will see that there is a vegetarian section and a lot of the ground beef ones will be perfectly acceptable by substituting veggie crumbles or something similar.

Good luck!!

Thanks etoiles, that's really helpful. I'll have a look at that recipe site later today. I've never seen spagetti squash here in the UK, altho it's probably available somewhere. Is it very tasty? What does it look like?

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Oct-30-06 at 09:34. Reason: updating link