Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 09:39

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Iodine deficiency is very common in America...

Iodine deficiency is very common in America. We are told that 1 mg of iodine per day is the maximum anyone should intake (ref). But the healthiest people on earth intake much more Iodine than this per day!

Quote:
The safety of therapeutic doses of iodine above the established safe upper limit of 1 mg is evident in the lack of toxicity in the Japanese population that consumes 25 times the median intake of iodine consumption in the United States.
http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/13/2/116.pdf

This could explain most of the subclinical hypothyroidism affecting 40% of the population and contributing to the obesity pandemic.

Should we all supplement with something like Iodoral ?

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb IF
Stats: 200/188/175 Male 70.5 in
BF:
Progress: 48%

I've been thinking about this lately myself, am going to try to include some sea veggies in the diet.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 11:23

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Good timing on this article, I bought a bunch of wakame and kombu a little while ago and I feel a million times better after eating it. My skin is clearer now and my eyebrows are bushier(?!) Also, this is pretty TMI so be warned, I have inverted nipples and they've made themselves less inverted. That kind of hurt.

I started getting a metallic taste in my mouth after a few days of pigging out though, this is apparently from the iodine pushing out bromine and other things. So I'm taking a lot of salt baths right now and eating a little less sea weed.

In my opinion, if you're not going to eat a lot of sea weed then yes, you should try out an iodine supplement. Just be prepared for some detox symptoms and take things very slowly.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 13:32
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I make wraps with nori (seaweed) I buy at Wal-Mart. Nori is used to make sushi rolls.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

My dr has me on 25mg Ioderal. I read this on mary shommons website and it cooled my enthusiasm. I told my dr I would only take it a few times/week instead of daily. Once my pills are gone I won't buy anymore. If you don't have any thyroid problems I would skip Ioderal and just eat food sources of iodine.

Iodine Exposure/Intake
Use of iodine or herbal supplements containing iodine, in pill or liquid form, by people who are iodine sufficient increases the risk of autoimmune thyroid disease and hypothyroidism, and, less commonly, hyperthyroidism or thyrotoxicosis.

Iodine Deficiency
Lack of sufficient iodine -– iodine deficiency -– increases the risk of hypothyroidism and goiter. Iodine deficiency is more common in developing nations, and countries where table salt is not iodized. In the U.S., iodine deficiency is seen mainly in people who restrict their salt intake, and in some people who live in areas –- usually mountainous or inland –- where there are lower iodine levels in soils and foods.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 19:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

In the Eades new book they recommend taking the supplements because the sort in sea food isn't utilized well. They said they were eating all kinds of iodine rich things and were still low (according to the 24 hour iodine load test). So now they recommend Iodoral.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 21:27
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

So where do we buy Iodoral?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 21:44

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I use Lugol's solution daily. Do a Google search you can find sources. Costs less than iodoral. Iodoral is Lugol's solution in tablet form. Lugol's solution is sold at pet stores, to keep fish tanks clean. Boy Scouts we used Lugol's solution to purify water. You can do the simple deficiency test by putting a circle of tincture of iodine on your arm (never drink). If you have adequate iodine, the spot should still be visible 24 hours later. If it disappears quickly, your body is absorbing the iodine quickly from shortage.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-09, 21:53

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

According to Dr Eades blog, you can get it on amazon.com.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 00:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/176/160 Male 5-9
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Iodine deficiency is very common in America

Maybe it's as simple as getting off this 'salt is evil' kick. Salt is just fine, it is iodized after all.

Problem solved.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 02:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Dr William Davis has blogged several times recently on the subject of iodine deficiency: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Iodine

His most recent post:

Quote:
Thursday, August 20, 2009

Iodine deficiency is REAL

Like many health-conscious people, Kurt avoids salt. In fact, he has assiduously avoided salt ever since his heart attack back in 1995.

Lately, Kurt had become tired, often for little or no reason. His thyroid panel:

TSH 4.2 mIU/L (0.27-4.20)
Free T3 1.74 pg/ml (2.50-4.30)
Free T4 1.05 ng/dl (0.9-1.7)

Kurt's TSH of 4.2 mIU/L is sufficient to increase LDL cholesterol by 20-30% and increase the (relative) risk for heart attack 3-fold.

Kurt's thyroid was also palpably enlarged. While it was just barely visible--just a minor bulge in the neck (in the shape of a bowtie), it could be clearly felt when I examined him.

I asked Kurt to add 500 mcg of iodine every day. Three months later, another thyroid panel showed:

TSH 0.14 mIU/L (0.27-4.20)
Free T3 2.50 pg/ml (2.50-4.30)
Free T4 1.1 ng/dl (0.9-1.7)

Kurt's thyroid function normalized to nearly ideal levels just with iodine replacement. (The free T3, while improved, remains low; an issue for another day!)

I see this response with some frequency: low-grade goiter and apparent hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) that responds, at least partially, to iodine replacement. In Kurt's case, iodine replacement alone normalized his thyroid measures completely.

With improved thyroid measures, Kurt also felt better with renewed energy and a 22 mg/dl reduction in LDL cholesterol.

Make no mistake: Iodine deficiency is real. While most of my colleagues have dismissed iodine deficiency as a relic of the early 20th century and third world countries, you can also find it in your neighborhood.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...cy-is-real.html
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 04:38

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

A question: if one had undiagnosed thyroid issues, and like the "Kurt" in Dr Davis' example, a slightly enlarged thyroid, would that enlargement create any problem swallowing? Make one feel as if their breathing was restricted a little? Or is the thyroid not in a location to do so?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 06:45
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_1...0&sprefix=lugol

That search link on amazon has a variety of lugol's and other forms and a couple books etc.

I've been reading on this lately. I do find myself a bit confused. I've seen the Ludol's recommendation. I've seen others who say don't INGEST iodine, merely put it on your skin. I read that taking kelp tablets was a natural form of iodine and I bought some of those (gosh they are nasty supplements, you can smell-taste them 10 feet away). I got a variety of more medicinal type supplements but in my slight paranoia have not yet taken any of them besides the herbal (eg kelp) ones yet.

I could have sworn that somewhere recently I found reference to a lab, with a website, that does thyroid panel testing based on dried blood spots, you could send off for it, a little similar to enterolab.com (that uses stool samples to test for reaction to grain and milk and other proteins). I can't seem to find the link now but that sounded like a useful alternative for people like me who don't have a regular doctor and don't want to have to try and beg a doctor to do even half the tests I want or it won't be covered by insurance.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 06:52

BF:
Default Salt is good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve41
Maybe it's as simple as getting off this 'salt is evil' kick. Salt is just fine, it is iodized after all.

Problem solved.

Only table salt you buy at the grocery has to be iodized. Table salt at McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, only Burger King has iodized salt, as it costs slightly more. The slight amount of iodine you get from salt is not enough. Probably eating the Japanese level of iodine is best. There are women's breast cancer organizations who feel lack of iodine contributes to breast cancer, and they recommend iodoral tablets. Lugol's solution/iodoral tablets have the two forms of iodine, in optimum proportions. One is for the thyroid health, the other is for your glands - such as womens breasts, mens prostates. Japanese women do not have all the benign fatty growths and tumors in their breasts, which are common to American women.

In Michigan in the 1930's, something like one third of the adult population had goiters, which led to iodine being added to table salt, and to bread. Later, to save money, a cheaper process was used to bake commercial bread, and the requirement to add iodine was removed.

Raypeat.com has good articles on thyroid, iodine, salt.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-09, 06:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_1...0&sprefix=lugol

That search link on amazon has a variety of lugol's and other forms and a couple books etc.

I've been reading on this lately. I do find myself a bit confused. I've seen the Ludol's recommendation. I've seen others who say don't INGEST iodine, merely put it on your skin. I read that taking kelp tablets was a natural form of iodine and I bought some of those (gosh they are nasty supplements, you can smell-taste them 10 feet away). I got a variety of more medicinal type supplements but in my slight paranoia have not yet taken any of them besides the herbal (eg kelp) ones yet.

I could have sworn that somewhere recently I found reference to a lab, with a website, that does thyroid panel testing based on dried blood spots, you could send off for it, a little similar to enterolab.com (that uses stool samples to test for reaction to grain and milk and other proteins). I can't seem to find the link now but that sounded like a useful alternative for people like me who don't have a regular doctor and don't want to have to try and beg a doctor to do even half the tests I want or it won't be covered by insurance.

Buy tincture of iodine at the pharmacy. Put a one inch circle on your arm. See how rapidly the circle vanishes. This is a measure of how deficient you are. Your thryoid is absorbing the iodine if your body is deficient.

You need to take Lugol's solution by drinking it, to absorb both forms of iodine. Do a google search on Lugol, and you can read how this 19th century physician solved many health problems of his patients.