Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-11, 16:43
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Italian Herb Bread

Hubby wanted some bread with his spaghetti this week and this is what I came up with. I tasted and it was quite good. This bread is pictured here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...ian-herb-bread/

I modified Jamie Van Eaton's recipe for Cauliflower Pizza Crust and came up with a nice little Italian bread that I think would be a great compliment to any Italian dinner. It has a slightly breadier texture if allowed to cool a bit before buttering and eating. If eaten hot right out of the oven, it’s a little too spongy/eggy for my liking. But as it cools, it takes on a breadier texture. This bread doesn’t rise very much, so it’s easiest to just spread the butter on top of the flat pieces of bread, rather than attempting to slice it. I may leave the parsley out next time as I could not really taste it much.

I’m very pleased with this result. The flavor was quite nice. Since the oat fiber is basically a carb wash at 26 g carbs and 26g fiber per 1/3 cup, I would think you could try this at any rung of OWL unless you find you do not tolerate even this tiny amount of oat fiber without setting off cravings. I’ve been cooking with it for a year now and have not found that to happen after eating anything with a bit of it included.

Next time I’m going to try this rendered as a plain cheddar cheese bread (without herbs)!

INGREDIENTS:

1½ c. riced, steamed cauliflower
2 small eggs
1½ c. mozzarella, grated
1 T. Parmesan cheese
1½ tsp. baking powder
1 T. chopped parsley
¼ tsp. oregano
Sprinkle each garlic and onion powder
2 T. cream
3 T. golden flax meal
2 T. oat fiber
1 T. olive oil for oiling muffin cups

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Using grater or food processor, rice cauliflower until fine and scrap into into a medium bowl. Microwave (covered) on HI for 3 minutes, stopping and stirring after each minute. Add mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to the warm cauliflower. Beat in the eggs. Add all remaining ingredients except the olive oil. Stir well to blend ingredients. Oil 12 muffin cups and scoop about 2T. batter into each muffin cup. Repeat with any remaining batter to distribute amongst the 12 muffins. Pop into 350º oven and bake about 25 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool a few minutes before removing from pan and serv warm with butter.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 rolls/servings, each contains:

81.5 calories
5.81 g fat
3.1 g carbs, 1.92 g fiber, 1.28 g NET CARBS
5.41 g protein
217 mg sodium

73 mg potassium, 17.7 % RDA Vitamin B12, 12% C, 13.2% calcium and 17.4% phosphorous
Sponsored Links