Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 09:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

73 is actually a normal blood sugar reading. At the lower end of normal, but it is normal.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 09:29

Plan: Atkins, hCG Diet
Stats: 168/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:30%/25%/23%
Progress: 100%

Hi Nancy, I feel the symptoms at a higher glucose level than charts indicate I should. Always have. I have been testing my blood for years and I start to feel lousy in the low 80's. There is no way I can function fasting for another 3-4 hours when I am at 73. Based on my experience I feel it is important to figure out what "normal" is for you personally as sometimes the ranges given (even for hormone levels if you want to do replacement therapy) may not be accurate for the individual.

But I understand if I am going to publish my levels online I am inviting commentary
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 10:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm not criticizing, just commenting.

Definitely do what makes you comfortable. I made the comment because if someone isn't familiar with the range, they might get the idea it is abnormally low, when it isn't.

We often get people here who have had high blood sugar for a long time and when their glucose levels fall to normal they start to feel hypoglycemic. That term is called a "false hypo". Your body treats it like a real hypo by releasing cortisol. Which feels miserable, of course.

Your approach to treating it was good. Eat something to bump it up, but don't go for something ridiculous like a candy bar or a big glass of fruit juice.

On bloodsugar101.com there are instructions on using glucose tablets to raise your blood sugar and the amount of glucose you need to eat is actually quite tiny.

I'm sure you already know all this, but for those who don't, maybe they can find something of use here.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 10:25
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Just a quick post: yesterday I was in fact down -0.4 to 134 and today I was down -0.4 to 133.6. Slow and stready I guess for now. My fasting blood sugar was 73 this AM - too low! I ate 2 eggs for breakfast to raise it. I guess my hypoglycemia will override the diet for now.

Those are good losses! It's amazing how much variation exists even among the same type of diabetics. i went into this hCG thinking that an added benefit would probably be some dramatic lowering of my BS, but it really hasn't changed mine at all. they're still running a little too high, in the 115 - 140 range, which is where they were in January, too (And that's with 2000mg metformin daily). And I can fast all day without them dropping. I guess I'm just going to have to get a lot more weight off before they take the next step down.

Quote:
Question: Just now I read in P&I that he injects into the glute muscle. Yet I've read where people are doing it subcutaneously, like a diabetic. So which is it?

It's either, but a different needle is used. IM injections use a big 2 or 3" needle. They're painful, and hard to perform on oneself. SQ injections use a 1/2" insulin needle, virtually painless and easy to perform on oneself.

I've been having a nice whoosh... down 1 friday, 1.6 yesterday, and 1.4 today, so I'm at 27.4 in 35 days. My "dream" goal of 30lbs in 40 days is looking more doable! Need to focus and tighten my control here in the last week, I've been getting slowly more loosey-goosey with the rules. 6 more days!
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 15:27

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Wow, great job MizKitty! I bet you'll get to 30. Staring at the last week must feel pretty good.

I'm not even weighing myself during TOM--but I fell pretty good, increased my protein slightly to combat hunger, and the clothes are still looser. I'll take it.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 17:23

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 195/135/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 118%

Miz Kitty- your losses are awe-inspiring!
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 07:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/129/114 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Today is Day 1 of VLCD. So far I am fairly hungry. I had two cups of Yerba Mate Chai tea which is supposed to suppress hunger but it didn't do much.

Lunch today is going to be:

Taco soup made with tomatoes, spices, and 100 g 96% lean ground beef
1 grissini
1 medium apple
247 calories

I gained two lbs loading.
My starting weight is 157.2
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 07:51

Good luck, Monique!
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 08:17
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Good luck Monique! Hopefully the hunger will pass soon.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 09:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/129/114 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Thank you MizKitty and gagde.

I'm feeling much better since I had lunch.

Dinner is going to be:

Chicken breast, asparagus, Strawberries, 1 grissini, and 1 lemon. 218 calories.
I might make that frozen strawberry smoothie with the lemon recipe that I have seen.

My total calories for the day will around 465. Not quite 500, but I think its actually higher than 465 because my protein quantities are over 100 grams. I cheated slightly when I weighed my protein.

Last edited by Monique723 : Mon, Mar-26-12 at 10:24.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 11:52

Plan: VLC
Stats: 270/201/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 63%

Last time I did this my first few days i was soo hugry. This time I'm not hugry at all. Last time I ate a lot of carbs on loading days this time I ate some but mostly fat like my last huge meal before bed was jalapenos stuffes with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon with cheesecake. I wonder if that made it dirrerant? I am hanging around the house with sick kids today so I wanna eat but not really hungry. I was 220 one day1 and today is day 3 and i'm at 215 but thats what I was a couple weeks ago on lc and most was water so it will be interesting to see what happens now.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 12:24

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Still stalled at 209.4 for five full days, no change in measurements either, despite complete protocol. Going for an apple day today.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 13:45

Plan: Atkins, hCG Diet
Stats: 168/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:30%/25%/23%
Progress: 100%

Good information Nancy! You sound like you know your stuff.

So yesterday - yeah - I couldn't get right again so my calories were closer to 750-800 when it was all said and done. I stuck to protocol foods, just more of them. The result.....back to 134 today (from 133.6). The good news is I am back and attacking fresh today. I have been eating ON PLAN. No extra eggs!

I just had lunch and boy oh boy, I simply have to share it. Got it off YouTube - egg drop soup. So yummy and filling. I modified and cut the egg whites down to 2 and added 4 medium shrimp. Calories under 200. Hopefully the sodium won't get me tomorrow. It was a little bland so I bummed up the soy sauce to taste.

Welcome to the game Monique! The early days are quite the adjustment. It requires 100% focus and I kept my movements slow and steady to not create unnecessary hunger, lol.

Sagehill - good luck with the apple day. All those carbs freak me out. There is an egg day too for stalls (not sure if that is P3). Five days is crazy long and lame - this diet is too hard to not get ANY results. I wish you luck on tomorrow's weigh in.

Momma - I also read that eating higher fat in P1 = less hunger in those early days.

My body is really changing. I just looked at my before pics and my day 7 pics and WOW you can actually see a difference at every angle. My stomach is shrinking!! This is where most of my extra weight was after two kids and it was really bringing me down. I am starting to see and feel my old body coming back. By old I mean my body from when I was 21-25 years old (I turn 40 this summer)! Incredible. This is the only solution for folks like me with stubborn areas that simply don't respond with the typical methods (diet and exercise).

Last edited by colipdx : Mon, Mar-26-12 at 18:55.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 18:52

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

MizKitty, thanks on the needle info. Makes sense now.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 19:30

Stalling sucks. Hope apple day went well, Sagehill Jenny. It worked for my sis when she stalled out, so I hope it is the same for you.