Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 02:43

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

About the definition of keto. The word is ketogenic, just to be a bit pedantic, but I got a point, I promise.

A ketogenic diet isn't what the diet is, but what the diet does. That's because the word ketogenic means "of or relating to ketosis". Conversely, a low-carb diet isn't what the diet does, but what the diet is. That's because the term "low-carb" means "a property of the diet, specifically its relative carbohydrate content".

Since ketosis depends on various factors, and no two people respond to the same degree to the same carbohydrate content of a diet, yet all respond within a definable range, the diet's ketogenic potential varies within this range from one person to the next. This range is defined primarily by the carbohydrate content of the diet, and by the associated presence of ketones in the blood. The upper threshold is (often cited as) about 130g/carbs/day, whereby ketogenesis can only occur below this threshold.

So the point here is that in order to call a diet keto(genic), one must measure and detect ketones in the blood either directly or indirectly (keto sticks or a blood ketone meter), and correlate this to the carbohydrates content of the diet one eats. I.e. what allows you to enter ketosis will not necessarily allow me the same; and above a threshold, neither of us can achieve ketosis.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 06:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

For Martin, I have changed my designated plan to Atkins Induction, which most people here will understand.

However, out in the ignorant world, I will refer to it as keto, just because that will give them the information they seek, and will bring them adequate info if they use it in a seatch engine.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 08:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Confirmation this was all a publicity stunt. She has doubled down and challenged Al Roker (!?!) to a debate.
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/258807...P26Bt1 SPo0wB8

How about you debate Dr. Phinny, Westman, Eades, Ludwig, or any number of clinical researchers rather than a weatherman?
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 08:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Confirmation this was all a publicity stunt. She has doubled down and challenged Al Roker (!?!) to a debate.
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/258807...P26Bt1 SPo0wB8

How about you debate Dr. Phinny, Westman, Eades, Ludwig, or any number of clinical researchers rather than a weatherman?

Why listen to a side show when we have access to the real deal?
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 08:47

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
During Wednesday's episode of "Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen," the outspoken host named Michaels the "Jackhole of the Day."

"Don’t feel bad, keto diet," Cohen continued. "A lot of people think Jillian Michaels is a bad idea."

Roker, the high-profile "Today" weather anchor, took to Twitter to slam Michaels for her remarks.

"So ~JillianMichaels says #Keto is a bad idea. This from a woman who promoted on camera bullying , deprivation, manipulation and more weekly in the name of weight loss," he tweeted last week. "Now those sound like bad ideas."

Michaels doubled down on her claims despite the backlash, challenging Cohen and Roker to lay out their reasoning behind their beliefs.

"I have an idea... ~Andy ~alroker how about a civil intelligent debate on The 6 Keys book and keto instead of personal attacks and name calling?" she tweeted in response. "I’m also a motivator and I know you guys can do this."

In another tweet, Michaels sent Roker a video message: "If you want to debate the personal sciences of keto, by all means let's do that. But the personal attacks are bizarre. It's unnecessary. It's uncalled for. It's beneath both of us."

I'm not sure Jillian Michaels knows the difference between personal attacks and criticism. I'd call Jackhole of the day a personal attack, if a satirical one. Roker didn't make a personal attack, he's making an accusation, there's a difference. Saying bad things about people is fair if the bad things are actually true. Jillian needs to show that breaking people down emotionally in the name of weight loss isn't bullying. Notice the call for debate leaves her performance on the Biggest Loser out of things, even though the criticism of her focuses entirely on that.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 09:00

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

From High Intensity Health, a science-based response:
Jillian Michaels Slams Keto (botches these facts)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt7CRzPjnmM

As to JM’s time on The Biggest Loser, I remember hearing reports that she said to a fellow trainer, “Let’s go torture fat people.”
JM cannot speak to people with long-standing metabolic issues. She has not lived this.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 09:23

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Look at this in the USA Today article
Quote:
Bryant Stamford, a kinesiology professor at Indiana's Hanover college, said in a column for the Courier Journal that the diet can foster short-term success but is often unsustainable. He always asks adherents to email him back after they had been on it for a year, he said.

"In all the many years I have been doing this, and with regard to all kinds of bizarre diets, not one person has ever contacted me a year later."
Either his experience with people on ketogenic diets is very limited or he's lying. Maybe there aren't too many people who stay one hundred percent in ketosis for a year but there are lots of people who lose and keep it off by eating very low carb. Soon, I believe there will be millions of us, (if there aren't millions of us already).
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 09:33

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This isn't proof that people don't adhere to a ketogenic diet. It's proof that they don't adhere to maybe the crappiest study design ever. "Call me, and if you don't, I'll assume the negative."

Please personal message me within a year if you don't ride off on a unicorn and permanently reside in Narnia. Nobody ever answers me. Narnia must be getting crowded. The logic is not strong with this one.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 13:00

BF:

I've been lowcarbing since 2003! I have backslid here and there, but never went back to my previous levels of carbs.

Maybe I should contact that guy
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 23:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

This is all a stunt. I think we need to give up on this thread. We have the correct knowledge and intelligence. Need to forget about Jillian Michaels. IMHO 🙃
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 09:15

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

While this thread would have fit in the War Zone, it's a good release for many to blow off steam when we hear pseudo celebrities spouting false information. I know this is not the only forum of voices who have challenged this person. Likely, many needed to vent in response to the diatribe. This is a good sign when the masses start to call BS when ignorant comments are made public.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 10:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
While this thread would have fit in the War Zone, it's a good release for many to blow off steam when we hear pseudo celebrities spouting false information. I know this is not the only forum of voices who have challenged this person. Likely, many needed to vent in response to the diatribe. This is a good sign when the masses start to call BS when ignorant comments are made public.

Totally agree. Obviously I keep reading. 🤣
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 11:54

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
This is all a stunt. I think we need to give up on this thread. We have the correct knowledge and intelligence. Need to forget about Jillian Michaels. IMHO 🙃

It's a stunt that is backfiring on her since so many people know the truth now. Everywhere I turn someone else is taking about LC and Keto!
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 13:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Downloaded a new bonus podcast by Mike Mutzel of HIH. Calm, using "real science" to respond to Jillian, who did seem to be pulling big sciencey words out of her hat without knowing any pesky details.

It started as two YouTubes and the response was so favorable...here it as a podcast for your walk. #254 Bonus: Intermittent Fasting VS Calorie Restriction- A review of the Research https://highintensityhealth.com/lis...health-podcast/

Jillian Michaels Trashes Keto, Badly Botches The Nutritional Science

https://highintensityhealth.com/jil...tional-science/. (DancinGurl posted above)

with bonus #2:

Intermittent Fasting and Time Restricted Feeding Benefit Explained, Resources. (Related to above. Biggest loser vs Ketogenic with TRE diets)

https://highintensityhealth.com/int...-in-easy-terms/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-17-19 at 18:07.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 13:35

BF:

Thanks Jey! You find the most interesting stuff.