Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 05:19
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Exclamation

To delete a custom food:

Open the custom foods menu list .. scroll down to the bottom; select ALL CUSTOM FOODS ... then GO!

Click on the food that you wish to delete. At the top of the nutrition facts page are options to edit or delete

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 05:35

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Doreen, that was so helpful

thank you. I didnt even realise you could go in there and tick off items to enter all at once !! You just saved me some fitday time
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 06:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Lightbulb

You can do the same thing with the "add recent" list ... open the menu, scroll to the end (or press Ctrl+End) to ALL RECENT FOODS. Click GO! and there you have pages of everything you've entered for the last week or so. This is really handy if you eat the same things often .. or if you're having leftovers .. You can just check off multiple items, then "Add Checked Foods" and there ya go, all entered at once.

There's a catch ... the foods are listed over several pages but you can only enter from one page at a time ... ie, you will lose all your check-marked foods if you skip to the next page without submitting them all first.

Doreen
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 21:09
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 166/131/115
BF:
Progress: 69%

This thread has been very helpful to me. Thanks to all of you who posted here.

I very recently discovered lowcarber. Then while reading on another page on here, someone mentioned fitday. So I began using it. And it is proving to be a great help to me.

But I haven't figured out yet how to open another account for my husband from this one computer. I'll try that again.

Again, my thanks.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 220/220/165 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know what "NFS" on Fitday foods means, in case you haven't figured it out already. It means "Not Further Specified" (i.e., could be any number of things or types or sizes or flavors or whatever!).

Now I ask you, how useful is any item with THAT designation going to be? And how on earth do they arrive at the nutrition counts for NFS foods???

day
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 16:37

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 213/177/174
BF:
Progress: 92%

I agree FItDay is not great at getting back to questions. I have e-mailed them twice and am waiting for x-mas cause that is when they will respond I guess. One problem I have is an 8oz steak has a certain # of calories and then if you choose 1 cup of the same steak it has different calories? Isn't 8oz a cup?? Remember guys usually measure things by the handful not ounces.

Other then my stupidity about how many ounces in a cup, I have found FitDay to be very helpful. I use it to make custom foods and found I was taking in more carbs then I thought. It aslo keeps you on track for excersize.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 15:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick
One problem I have is an 8oz steak has a certain # of calories and then if you choose 1 cup of the same steak it has different calories? Isn't 8oz a cup??

Patrick, eight fluid ounces is a cup. However, 8 weighted ounces could be half a cup, 3 cups, etc, depending on what it is you're weighing. I honestly don't understand why they would put "1 cup" as a possible measurement for a sirloin, how many of us chop up our steak and use a measuring cup?

HTH
Nat
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 08:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Default A Tip For Customizing

I often customize recipes as mentioned at the beginning of this thread, but one problem is that you don't get the vitamin/mineral content. So what I do is this: once I've got the numbers, I search for a similar food already entered in the database. Say I'm making chili. I look for a similar chili that's already there (it lists the ingredients), then click on "customize this food." You can alter the calorie/fat/carb/protein content and the vitamin/mineral numbers are already there. Slightly inaccurate, but better than a bunch of zeroes.

This is also handy for when packaging does not have the nutrition facts on it. Here in Canada, it's not required.

Something else handy that I just noticed the other day: it used to bug me that I'd have to do a "report" to figure out how many non-fiber carbs I'd had, but if you look to the left of the pie chart on your main food page, it's right there:
Carbs: 16
Fiber: 7

Duh!

Cheers!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 07:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Copying from Fitday?

Has anyone figured out a way to copy out the food list from fitday.com? I thought it might be nice to be able paste into my journal here.

What I do with a recipe is similar to everybody else I guess. I go to an empty day and enter all the ingredients. You will then have the carbs, fiber, protein, and fat grams. If you go to the "did I meet my nutritional requirements?" report for that day, you can get the vitamin and mineral figure.

I have only tried this for one-serving recipes so far, but I imagine for a multi-serving recipe you could either use the whole recipe and make it a custom food and then divide when you enter your intake (i.e. 1/4 pie = .25 serving) or else go to the trouble of dividing each individual item and entering the custom food as a serving size.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 09:06

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by Marie_D
Has anyone figured out a way to copy out the food list from fitday.com?

Hi there Marie.....

I just highlight what I want to copy....then copy and paste.

HTH
Marlaine
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 10:45

BF:
Default Thanks

I guess it was too obvious for me to think of! I'll try it soon.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 01:49

BF:

Marlene -

I tried highlighting, cutting and pasting and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help. Sometimes, I'm just too dense to try the obvious.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:42

BF:

Marie.....

Glad that I could help. Being really comfortable with the computer makes a difference too. I've been fortunate enough to have learned to handle both Windoze and Mac boxes.

Marlaine
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 16:39

Stats: 149/142.5/120
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Fitday: Mac or PC? Netscape or Explorer?

Since the issue of being good with PC's & Mac's has just been raised, I am itching to ask this. I do my Fitday work on a Mac, and I find it extremely frustrating that sometimes I click on "Add this food to whatever it says exactly" and nothing happens. Multiple times in a row. (...grrrr...) I have to leave the site & then come back. And since I am new at it and have not learned all the tricks, this makes entering my food a laborious (and sometimes torturous) process. I was thinking it was because I am on a Mac and not a PC, and I'm wondering if others have had the same experience? My boyfriend says it also might be the browser I'm using. I'm currently using Internet Explorer, but am happy to switch to Netscape if it's more stable there. Also, does it perform better on newer browsers? I am not excited about waiting for the newest version of my browser to download, but if that's what it takes to enter a serving of vegetables, I'm willing to give it a shot.

So how about it, any computer-savvy people on this board who can save me from tearing my hair out?

As always, thanks in advance,

~rebecca~

ps. I suspect that the Mac vs. Pc issue is why I STILL can't get my type to turn color, highlight, be bold, or add smileys to it. Computer programmers of the world, Mac-users are people too!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 18:42

BF:

Rebecca....

I'm on a Mac and using IE5 and have no trouble with Fitday at all.
I also have Netscape 4.73 and have found that I have more trouble with it than with IE. IE is stable with pretty much all websites I visit.

I write the HTML manually to get the text changes I use. I suspect that the problem you are having is with the Javascript. I also do the smilies manually after peeking at the code. Unfortunately, I know the cause, I just don't know any other way to resolve it besides doing the HTML manually.

Marlaine