Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 21:35
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default The importance of fat for carb sensitive people

Today, a few things I've observed are leading me to suspect that dietary fat is a lot more important than even some of us LCers realize.
I propose, when it comes to controlling this carb sensitivity, making sure your metabolism is burning enough fat (via caloric restriction and/or diet) is just as significant as not eating too many carbohydrates.

Let me give my personal anecdotal experience.
My metabolism (blood sugar/insulin) is really, really screwy. The only sure fire way I know to keep it stable and feel "normal" is to eat almost no carb, high fat diet or to eat very little food. Unfortunately, these options also leave me bereft of energy. As a result I tend to waver in between eating more (but feeling unstable sugar often), and under eating (but feeling cold/tired/weak).

Today I did something I don't normally do.
I ate almost nothing all day. The day before I ate well enough food that my body can easily "keep running" without a pick-me-up.
For dinner, I had a large calorie meal that was extremely high fat, and not too-high carb. After eating this meal, I noticed I felt extremely warm and alive. I was sweating and my fingers were warm! Even more interesting was that this meal did not trigger any hyperinsulinemic symptoms. Normally after meals, especially large ones, I just get hungrier, and I feel colder (at least at first)... signs that my energy is actually being messed up not increased. It is just flowing through me in a way that hasn't in such a long time. Granted I did eat a lot yesterday which surely helped give my hormones a "shot in the arm" to make energy. But, the majority of this feeling came after eating the very fatty meal; before it I felt my usual cold & lethargic self when not eating.

This meal was different from my usual meals in that it contained a huge amount of fat. It had full fat blue cheese dressing, and deep fried chicken wing segments. The only carbs were a salad of romaine lettuce which had a lot of the blue cheese dressing.
Now, a normal dinner for me is more like a few ounces of leaner protein (lots of protein), with a ton of veggies that have very little fat. Calories are slightly less, but fat content is much lower and protein much higher. Carb content is about similar.

I've also known (suspected) that the more lean protein I eat, the WORSE my metabolism seems to be. It's like this slow build to the point where it feels like I'm on carbs. On occasion I even felt vivid hypo symptoms a few hrs after eating lots and lots of leaner protein.

*anyway* this has got me thinking...
1) High protein and low carb seem to be synonyms to the public. Is this justified? Maybe for controlling this thing, eating fat primarily, and not protein is just as important as making sure as not to eat too many carbs? I've suspected for a good while now that my body just doesn't jive to high protein the way it does to high fat. Today is just such a crystaline example of that. I've never felt this way after a high protein meal, and in fact, the more I eat of such high protein meals the worse (carb sensitivity wise) I feel.

2) Perhaps a metabolism that is not burning enough fat (because of over eating proteins and ignoring fats) is a reason our metabolisms might not work as well and stalls happen? I mean there is such misinformation that LC = High Protein. If you are unaware of what protein does (if we assume there is any credit to my theory)... then wouldn't that be like eating too many carbs, running your metaboilsm into the ground?

3) On calorie counting...
It's well known some of us need to count, some don't. All this time I kinda looked at fat as just an energy source, non-essential, better reduced for calorie purposes. But now I'm thinking maybe it is more significant because it has some kind of antagonistic effect on my body's dependence on its (rather crappy) sugar metabolism? Maybe it is possible to improve metabolism to the point where one wouldn't have to worry so much about calories? Maybe the difference between those of us who count and those who don't is, at least in part, that the non-counters have a much better ability to burn fats? Perhaps eating fat (and not protein) is one of the ways the already low carb population can improve their metabolisms?

How do other low carbers view fat vs protein? Do you find it makes no difference to your metabolism, or, do you find that fat helps much more than protein? Does anyone find that protein improves metabolism more than fat?

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Fri, Feb-17-06 at 21:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 23:19
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Talking

Quote:
I've also known (suspected) that the more lean protein I eat, the WORSE my metabolism seems to be. It's like this slow build to the point where it feels like I'm on carbs. On occasion I even felt vivid hypo symptoms a few hrs after eating lots and lots of leaner protein.

That's probably because a high percentage of protein can be converted to glucose. If you're limiting your fat - this is my theory at least - you're limiting your bodies capacity to fully utilize ketosis (fat burning) because you're converting too much protein to glucose and don't have enough fat intake to keep ketosis "stoked" whether you're in "continuous ketosis" (24/7) or cycling in and out on a more moderate, higher carbohydrate intake.

IMO - "lean protein" that we're told to eat just ain't natural - you don't have to have gobs and gobs of fatty meat, but to trim away every last morsel of fat, not how we could have or would have eaten in our history. Nor would we have tossed the yolks of eggs to use only whites, or munch away on soy products that are high in protein.

Almost every high quality protein source is neatly packaged with fat - we're repeatedly told to alter that nice mix and remove the fat.....just something to think about.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 00:13

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Fat is really the only macronutrient I worry about.

I just try to keep my carbs low-ish, and focus the rest of my attention on adding fat to my meals in whatever way I can. I just let the protein sort itself out. This usually ends up around 10-20% carbohydrate, 60-70% fat, and the remainder protein.

Lots of the paleo people think similarly about fat, if you want to pop over to the paleo/neanderthin board.

EDIT: what you describe with the hypo-like symptoms from eating lean protein sounds a lot like "rabbit starvation." native peoples have known for a long time that if you eat exclusively lean meat that you will sicken and eventually die if a fat source isn't found
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 08:50

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

As a hypoglycemic, I know that too much lean protein will cause a sugar crash. Enough fat is critical in stable blood sugar and feeling satisfied.

However, I have recently discovered that by worrying more about the fat and less about the protein that I haven't been getting enough protein. My hair fell out and my nails stopped growing, and I'm sure those are just the superficial problems.

So, I think this is all very complicated!

Currently I'm using the Protein Power guidelines for adequate protein, which for a body my size is quite a lot. I average about 30 carbs, and I eat however much fat I crave around that. Always butter the veggies. Generous with sauces.

My new favorite satisfying snack is a large mug of tea with 2T coconut oil and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. The oil bonds to the particulate of the protein and stays mixed.

I'm afraid I think this is yet another YMMV issue. Every person has to find their own personal ratios, and be willing to change them as your body composition changes.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 09:42

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I get most of my protein from fatty meats. Four years ago I switched from skinless chicken breasts to chicken thighs with skin and find them more enjoyable to eat.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 09:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 145/131/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 82%
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
T
For dinner, I had a large calorie meal that was extremely high fat, and not too-high carb. After eating this meal, I noticed I felt extremely warm and alive. I was sweating and my fingers were warm!

This is the reaction I get after a high-carb meal loaded with bread and sweets. My body temperature increases to the point of being uncomfortable (I feel flushed and too warm), I sweat more easily, irritability and brain fog take over, I get palpitations, and sometimes I start shaking. I do -not- like that feeling at all; to me it's "over-alive."

Are you describing something slightly different? I'm not sure why sweating and feeling warm are good things after a high-fat meal.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 10:11

Plan: Lars-Erik Litsfeldt (Swe)
Stats: 242/200.6/187 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi,
I also think fat is a critical component, not just high protein and low carb. Also the fat source is of importance, avoiding the processed margarines and refined heated oils, and instead using pure butter and good oils for cold dishes. You should be aware of many oils which are full of Omega-6. I use butter for frying and extra virgin olive oil for salads etc.
I have also heard good things about coconut oil, but haven't tried it myself.
Be sure to avoid ANY trans fatty acids and hydrogenated oils!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 12:11
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It all kind of goes back to what Dr. Atkins wrote about not being afraid of fat if your carbs are kept in check. That didn't (as some people would believe) mean to gorge on as much fat as you can swallow, but that fat keeps the blood sugar more stable and leaves you satisfied on less.

That you felt so much better with more fat, adequate protien, and fewer carbs, IMO, means that's just what your body has been needing all along.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 12:19

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

I think it's important to keep fat levels high. Fat causes virtually no insulin response. Protien does cause some insulin response. And we all know what kind of insulin response there is from carbs, especially if they are starchy or refined.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 12:53
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

I may eat a bit less fat than most LCers--about 45%. I'm also a diabetic. I made the switch to a lower fat diet because I do not eat alone, and I found that my non-LC spouse was ending up with a high fat-high carb diet--not a good thing.

I don't guess at my blood glucose levels--I test. And over the 18 months or so I have been eating low carb, I have yet to have enough protein for it to show up in my Bg levels as a problem. That may be because I don't eat a half pound of meat at a sitting. I also don't skip meals, so I don't have to deal with starting at what for me is abnormally low levels and then a rapid rise after eating--something that would definitely cause sweating and feeling hot in my insulin sensitive body.

Folks are different, of course, and what works for me, would not necessarily work for anyone (much less everyone) else. I would though suggest that anyone who is really interested in figuring what is going on with their insulin response, might want to pick up a meter and test for a bit.

The meters are often available for free, because the test strips are the money makers. They usually come with some free strips, if not, one box would probably tell you what you want to know.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 13:29

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%

I've also found I can't have too much protein. I hardly ever have red meat, and have cut the portions of chicken and fish that I have, and lo and behold, I'm more likely to be in ketosis as per the test strips, than I was before. When I ate more protein, ie, at every meal, I rarely seemed to get into ketosis. At that time, I lot weight at the rate of about a pound a month. Now I'm managing about a pound a week. Yep, it's still slow, but compared to what it was before, I'm happy.
I'm sure I had a harder time with cravings when I ate more protein, the hunger suppression of ketosis never seemed to happen.
I'm sure my treacherous bod was happily converting it to glucose behind my back, so to speak.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 14:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I've resently started frying food with good old fashioned lard/beef dripping instead of olive oil and the taste of the food is really rich and SCRUMMY!! the difference is unbelievable and I felt much fuller for much longer too. I'm still full and I had my fry up at 3pm (its now 8.45pm here)

Sorry, nothing really to do with this thread, but just thought I'd mention it
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 15:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I am a diabetic without a gall bladder and 61 years old. I find that for me to controll my blood sugar and bring them down to a more normal lever without medications, I need to eat about 90% fat and the rest between carbs and veggies. This sounds crazy, but if I eat a small California avocado and a salad in the evening without any protein, my morning blood sugar is around 85. I can not do this all the time, but when I do it I am always surprised.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 15:32
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladegem
This is the reaction I get after a high-carb meal loaded with bread and sweets. My body temperature increases to the point of being uncomfortable (I feel flushed and too warm), I sweat more easily, irritability and brain fog take over, I get palpitations, and sometimes I start shaking. I do -not- like that feeling at all; to me it's "over-alive."

Are you describing something slightly different? I'm not sure why sweating and feeling warm are good things after a high-fat meal.

Hi
Oh no I am not talking about an abnormal feeling, I think I know the feeling you are talking about. I get like that sometimes with hypoglycemia. WHen I over eat a lot of food and my sugar & insulin start to increase I too start shaking like my body goes into "shock".

I am talking about a satisfied, high energy state. My hands are like little ice cubes most of the time, my nails are often blue, skin is so dry, they are covered in cuts because the oxygen/energy flow there is so pathetic.

So when I say I feel warm, I don't mean overwarm. I mean my body is cranking out energy and blood flow is increasing etc. See, because I am already thin and eat relatively little to stay that way, my metabolism is suppressed. I am cold by default (most of the time). So for me, if I feel warm, it can mean my metabolism is working better (making & using more energy), and I feel better (more energetic). For most people, feeling a sudden increase in temp after eating would probably be more indicative of a problem. Sorry I should have clarified that.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 15:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
I think it's important to keep fat levels high. Fat causes virtually no insulin response. Protien does cause some insulin response. And we all know what kind of insulin response there is from carbs, especially if they are starchy or refined.

Yea... like you say it is currently believed that fat and protein are about equal. But, it just doesn't *feel* that way to me.

The body and metabolism is really very complex. I wonder if it is not just insulin, but maybe something else which is causing this intolerance to high protein. Or, maybe those who tend to hyperinsulinemia are most likely to have a problem? Bat Spit is a hypoglycemic, like I am, and she said she has the same problems.