Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 00:14

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Definitely New and have tons of "?s"

Alright...so after two years of keeping my freshman 15, and adding another 15...I've had enough. My self-esteem continues to struggle with buying bigger and bigger clothes and I've had enough. I'm ready to try and do something about it (keeping my fingers crossed anyway. I've had a bunch of friends lose tons of weight with a low-carb diet and today when I found this website I knew it was my turn. It makes me feel so good to be able to ask questions or post my concerns during my attempt to lose 30 lbs.
So I guess I really need to buy the Atkin's book tomorrow before I can ask any legitimate questions. I already bought some recipe books, but I have no idea about this induction thing that I've read posted all over the website.
Here's a question. Is the induction really hard to follow? I think I really need a book to say here are the exact things you can eat for the next two weeks...(which one do can you guys suggest?) Also, can I eat eggs and/or bacon tomorrow morning for breakfast if I'm starting induction (that's the right word, right?) tomorrow? And how much water should I drink and is diet mountain dew alright to drink?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Erin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 06:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: Definitely New and have tons of "?s"

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin4980
So I guess I really need to buy the Atkin's book tomorrow before I can ask any legitimate questions.

All questions are legitimate, Erin but yes, you should get the book, you wouldnt start driving a car w/o having had instruction would you? This is no different. If you are going to follow Atkin's then I'd suggest his book However there are many LC plans available to you. Take a look at our section of the forum called "Low Carb Comparison Plans" for a discription on some of them.

Quote:
Here's a question. Is the induction really hard to follow?

Induction is part of the Atkin's LC Plan. I follow Protein Power, and there was no induction. But to answer your question, it can be harder for some, depending on how much of a problem you have giving up carbs. Withdrawal can be tough, headaches, fatigue, dizziness; but they do lessen then disappear. It's different for everyone.

Quote:
I think I really need a book to say here are the exact things you can eat for the next two weeks...(which one do can you guys suggest?)

Each book will have its own guidelines, it's a matter of personal choice which you prefer. Atkins and Protein Power are more strict than say Suzanne Somers or Schwarzbien; as a result you lose faster with the former but can have a more varied menu with the latter.

Quote:
Also, can I eat eggs and/or bacon tomorrow morning for breakfast if I'm starting induction (that's the right word, right?) tomorrow?

You can have eggs and bacon for breakfast even if you werent starting induction Yes, they are permitted for LC plans.

Quote:
And how much water should I drink and is diet mountain dew alright to drink?

You should be drinking 64oz (8 glasses) of water a day regardless of what you eat. LC generally suggest you add an extra 8 oz (1 glass) for every 25 lbs you want to lose (thats 8 oz over and above the 64 oz). Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt mountain dew loaded with caffiene? Atkins frown's on caffiene, PP does not. Personally I avoid all soft drinks now, they taste too sweet. And AS (Artificial Sweeteners) can be stallers for many; they also set of cravings for the real thing. Be careful with them.

I would suggest you decide which plan you want to follow, after some research and soul searching and proceed from there. For this to work it has to be more than a diet; it must become a WOL (Way of life), or you'll have learned nothing and when you return to the carb laden foods you'll gain back everything you work so hard to lose.

Best of luck to you,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 08:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/183/150
BF:
Progress: 25%

Welcome Erin!!

It really is best to buy Dr. Atkin's book. It lays everything out. But be prepared, you will still have questions about the plan when you are done with the book. We all have questions!!

I'll be honest with you--induction is hard. I'm not saying that to discourage you in any way, but you need to mentally prepare yourself for it. You are going to be challenged and you have to be up for that. I've told my friends this same thing. Induction stinks because you are telling your body that it can no longer have the things it has always had--so in turn your body rebels! You will get headaches, cravings, fatigue, and maybe more. But with each day it gets better. That is your light at the end of the tunnel. By about Day 4 or so, you will wake up and feel totally different, and GREAT!

Like Nat said, compare different low-carb plans. I wish I would have done that in the beginning because there are lots of plans, and they all seem to work better for some people and not for others. In the meantime, you can eat low carb. Have your bacon and eggs for breakfast and have a salad for lunch (watch any sweet dressings though).

You've already done good though--coming here for support! You've got the right mindset!! Just keep it going!! GOOD LUCK!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 09:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaPlucky
I'll be honest with you--induction is hard. I'm not saying that to discourage you in any way, but you need to mentally prepare yourself for it. You are going to be challenged and you have to be up for that.

I have to disagree with some of this, Mama While I followed PP and not Atkins, I did keep my carbs very low. I found the first few weeks easy (Ok I find all this easy lol); I could have bacon and eggs again! Steak! chicken w/ the skin! I can't remember the last time I had skin on chicken. And chicken wings.... OMG!

Yes there are symptoms of carb addiction, yes it can be difficult, but everyone is different. Knowledge is power in this case. Arm yourself with as much as you can handle, Erin. Make sure you've got the necessary tools to make this work for you. The book, the foods, the vitamins and supplements, and the motivation

You'll do great.
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Hi Erin

Welcome to the Forum Erin.

You are doing splendidly. Keep asking the questions. Just thinking about them will start you off on finding the solutions for yourself.

{I have had enough.} Most important. That decision is the starting point. I am FED UP and I am going to DO something about it.

{It makes me feel so good ....} See? You are already feeling better about it. And it will get better and better with each day that you continue to DO something about changing your life.

INDUCTION: 14 days of VERY STRICT adherance. Main rule is to make sure that my carb intake over a 24 hour period for FOURTEEN consecutive days is less than 20g.

You learn to read labels, look out for hidden carbs in everything you put into your mouth, keep the company of other LCers for support, motivation, inspiration and help.

Use books, audio cassettes, videos, the very well thought out tips (by people who have actually travelled the road) in the ORANGE bar at the top and WHATEVER else it takes to keep you on track.
Take care and remember YOU CAN DO IT.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 12:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome! Personally, I didn't find induction hard at all. I think it is because I had done high carb/low fat for so long ( I was even a vegetarian for 6 years) that when I was allowed to eat things like bacon and cream cheese it was like a treat! In the first couple of weeks I did miss sweet things, but believe it or not, you get over it. Last night I had one Russel Stover sugar free truffle - and it tasted way too sweet for me. I used to be able to eat half a box of chocolates without even thinking about it. I never did give up my coffee, but I did cut it down dramatically. Remember, induction on Atkins only lasts 2 weeks and if that still seems to hard, there are other low carb plans are not quite so strict. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 15:05

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Default I bought the book...

I bought the Dr. Atkin's New Rev. book today and read it almost cover to cover (I left the maintainance after Induction sections for last). I also bought this 8-min. morning workout book that looks excellent for people with busy schedules...I read it cover to cover too It's designed around sculpting and toning rather than aerobic (although they do suggest 15-20 minutes of "power" walking a day).

I think Atkins will work perfectly for me...I was thinking about the Zone and Sugar-busters, etc. but I decided that I need to be strict (I really have no self-control) and that eating some carbs (i.e. cerals, etc.) would definitely be my down-fall.

Thanks for the suggestions....and I'll let you know how induction goes. Last night at (9:30pm) I had a moment of weakness, so I made three pieces of bacon and it worked just fine My problem during previous diets has been: if I can't have something, it makes me really want it, but I love BACON and it's sweet to me (I've also bought a brand reduced in fat - 4 grams of fat for ea. 2 pieces).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 16:30

BF:
Thumbs up

Good job on the book, Erin. You'll find this WOL very easy to adhere to; the food is wonderful and very filling. About that low fat bacon Next time you buy some be sure to get the full fat stuff, you aren't counting fat now, you're only worried about carbs. Less fat usually means more sugar (that is how they make it taste good) Bacon that is reduced in salt is a good choice, it usually has less salt AND less sugar. Alternatively, if you have a good deli near your house you can get fresh bacon that has no sugar and very little nitrates (nitrates can be stallers, but that's usually something that becomes an issue later on down the road)

During Induction it's best not to worry about fat or calories; Induction is designed to get you comfortable with LC and to let your body know that this is not a starvation thing. It is important to eat when you feel hungry. Having those 3 strips of bacon last night was the exact thing to do

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 159/128/125 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka

I have to disagree with some of this, Mama While I followed PP and not Atkins, I did keep my carbs very low. I found the first few weeks easy (Ok I find all this easy lol); I could have bacon and eggs again! Steak! chicken w/ the skin! I can't remember the last time I had skin on chicken. And chicken wings.... OMG!

Yes there are symptoms of carb addiction, yes it can be difficult, but everyone is different. Knowledge is power in this case. Arm yourself with as much as you can handle, Erin. Make sure you've got the necessary tools to make this work for you. The book, the foods, the vitamins and supplements, and the motivation

You'll do great.
Nat

I have to agree with you Nat -- I am doing Atkins and, while I did not have a dramatic weight loss (4 lbs) during induction, I did not have a difficult time or experience any "withdrawal" symptoms. The biggest adjustment I had was to break my poor eating habits - such as always grabbing something carbohydrate to eat while watching tv. Now that was an adjustment!