Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-10, 12:19

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Not "ecstatic" about endo visit....

I brought up everything I had learned here and on other boards about Reverse T3. Also, I had printed a bunch of stuff and had the treatments suggested for curing the Reverse T3 problem as well as my labs that showed I had a free T-3 of 2.5 and an RT3 of 269. She told me that Wilson's Temperature Syndrome was a topic at medical conventions many years ago, but that it had definitely been totally debunked as any kind of "permanent" cure for being hypo and she didn't believe in it at all. But, then I gave her the info. from Holtorf's approach (and this was new to her.) I had printed all the citations so she took that info. from www.nahypothyroidism.org. About my low ferritin, she said unless I was actually anemic, then my insurance wouldn't pay to help me with the problem of having heavy menses, nor would they pay for iron infusions. Therefore, she did a few more blood tests and is checking the iron situation. I never thought I'd WANT an iron problem to show up. I just want help with all the the symptoms. However, she did prescribe more T3 and told me to build up slowly to 4 times daily and see if I felt any better. She also referred me to an MD that was also a Naturopathic doctor in our area.....so I guess I can count this as a good visit since she is open minded - at least for an endo. I heard from a nurse there, that is a good friend of mine, that she is one doctor that is always reading, always learning, and always attending seminars....that she eats, sleeps, breathes endocrinology. She wants more scans of my goiter so I am doing that. She said it actually looks smaller. Wonder if getting off the T4 and solely onto the T3 has helped? Do these things ever go away?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 23:49

BF:

D**! Readin my own post days later - sorta sounds hopeless....that is not how I am ya'll.............really!

I am going to totally sink into research now as to how to fix the underlying autoimmune response and then how to make the immune system heal itself - on its own. I am confident still I can find some answers. Magic Johnson is well...afterall!

Any Hashi's patients here here still believe in finding a cure? My endo doesn't, but that is why we are all here - right? To find an alternative answer?

Really pisses them off too! People like me (us) won't make them much money....I don't care.

Helloooo Hashi's.....Angie is here. Angie wants to win. Someone just tell me they are with me.....I'll keep reading!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 12:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sounds like a pretty good endo! Yes, I think the goiter shrinks when your pituitary believes you're getting thyroid juice. In other works, it swells to produce more thyroid hormone so if everything else is good it seems like it should shrink.

Although, in certain thyroid autoimmune conditions, like Graves, I think it won't shrink because no matter how much you produce your body believes it isn't getting enough.

Hashi's goes into remission fairly often, so does Graves disease. I've heard that it happens more frequently if you're gluten free.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 18:56

BF:

I think I am gluten free? I have been working towards that. No bread or wheat in any form. No bottled things except salad dressing or reduced sugar ketchup. No beer - LOL!