Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-24, 00:08

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default It really IS harder to say no to cake when you're fat

Quote:
It really IS harder to say no to cake when you're fat, finds study of obese volunteers' brains

For some people, turning down a chocolate biscuit or piece of cake seems relatively easy while for others, it's an enormous mental battle.

Now, experts have discovered that people with a higher BMI really do require a bigger shift in brain activity to choose healthy food over their preferred snack.

Researchers from Queen's University in Ontario analysed data from three MRI studies involving 123 participants who indicated what they would prefer to eat in different scenarios.

They compared brain activity patterns displayed when participants chose after being instructed to focus on healthy eating.

Analysis revealed that people who were better able to regulate their dietary choices required relatively small shifts in brain states to achieve their goal – and this was highly apparent in individuals with low BMI.

However, participants with a high BMI could not rely on this mechanism and required larger shifts in brain activity to make healthy food choices.

Writing in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) journal the researchers said: 'Over 18 per cent of the global adult population is projected to be obese by 2025, showcasing widespread difficulties in adopting healthy diets.

'We examined how brain states change when making natural and regulated dietary choices in an established food task.

'Individuals with lower weight status could successfully modify their eating behaviours while maintaining similar modes of brain activity.

'Individuals with higher weight status could not rely on this mechanism.'

The team said their findings may help explain why some people struggle with controlling their diet while others do not.

However, they said they are not able to determine whether a difficulty making healthy food choices is what leads to putting on weight, or whether putting on weight leads to changes in the brain that makes it harder to choose healthy options.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-obese-BMI.html

Quote:
Body mass index–dependent shifts along large-scale gradients in human cortical organization explain dietary regulatory success

Significance

Over 18% of the global adult population is projected to be obese by 2025, showcasing widespread difficulties in adopting healthy diets. Why? Using a gradient approach, we examined how brain states change when making natural and regulated dietary choices in an established food task. Individuals with lower weight status could successfully modify their eating behaviors while maintaining similar modes of brain activity. Individuals with higher weight status could not rely on this mechanism, requiring more reconfigurations of food-evoked activation patterns to respond to the challenge of dietary control. Requiring more or fewer reconfigurations of large-scale brain patterns to align behaviors across contexts might explain why some people struggle with dietary control in their daily life, and others do not.

Abstract

Making healthy dietary choices is essential for keeping weight within a normal range. Yet many people struggle with dietary self-control despite good intentions. What distinguishes neural processing in those who succeed or fail to implement healthy eating goals? Does this vary by weight status? To examine these questions, we utilized an analytical framework of gradients that characterize systematic spatial patterns of large-scale neural activity, which have the advantage of considering the entire suite of processes subserving self-control and potential regulatory tactics at the whole-brain level. Using an established laboratory food task capturing brain responses in natural and regulatory conditions (N = 123), we demonstrate that regulatory changes of dietary brain states in the gradient space predict individual differences in dietary success. Better regulators required smaller shifts in brain states to achieve larger goal-consistent changes in dietary behaviors, pointing toward efficient network organization. This pattern was most pronounced in individuals with lower weight status (low-BMI, body mass index) but absent in high-BMI individuals. Consistent with prior work, regulatory goals increased activity in frontoparietal brain circuits. However, this shift in brain states alone did not predict variance in dietary success. Instead, regulatory success emerged from combined changes along multiple gradients, showcasing the interplay of different large-scale brain networks subserving dietary control and possible regulatory strategies. Our results provide insights into how the brain might solve the problem of dietary control: Dietary success may be easier for people who adopt modes of large-scale brain activation that do not require significant reconfigurations across contexts and goals.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2314224121
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-24, 07:43

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Dietary success may be easier for people who adopt modes of large-scale brain activation that do not require significant reconfigurations across contexts and goals.

To me that sounds a lot like just more proof that people who don't have a weight problem "just aren't thinking about food".

Please correct me if I've misinterpreted, but it sounds like they were told to think about cake, then told to switch to thinking about a healthy snack instead. The ones who don't really care much about food just followed "orders" to switch from thinking about cake to thinking about something healthy without any real effort.

The ones who think about food aren't thinking about carrot sticks or an apple, they're thinking about something they crave: cake. Switching from cake to carrot sticks is a struggle.

If the people I've known who are naturally thin are any indication, they still eat junk food, but to them if they're hungry, they eat what's available. If carrot sticks are what's available they eat that. If cake is available, they'll have cake. They just don't have any kind of trigger that prioritizes cake over carrot sticks.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-24, 02:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Dietary success may be easier for people who adopt modes of large-scale brain activation that do not require significant reconfigurations across contexts and goals.

I interpret this to mean that most of their thoughts are about eating junk because that's how junk food works. I appreciate the glimmer of how these are emotionally driven decisions.

If all one's emotional handling is dependent on this dangerous method, it would be bad enough. Without adding the fake food onto it.

Lately, some articles have the caveat "this is only a mouse model" which they used to not even say in the capsule version for the public. I don't pay any attention because a grain eating animal is probably not a good food model for ME.

Calianna rightly pointed out the emotions involved shaped the brain. The brain reward from junk grows the appetite center because if we are eating food that is poor in nutrients, we must eat more of this low quality food.

A "malnutrition model" makes much more sense, because if we meet hunger with the Frankenfoods, that only increases our body's alarms. And now the organ we do our thinking with doesn't have the right stuff to do any thinking with.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-24, 06:30

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

My two cents.

ADHD brains like a hit from dopamine. Some say this science is changing.

My brain loves cake, pudding and ice cream. Abd cheese.

Like an addict, it wants another hit. Refusing such foods is nearly impossible. Only when extra effort is put in place or a long time into ketosis helps.

None of these studies seem to delve into different brains.

A reward perspective presented thru a couple studies..
https://youtu.be/9QiE-M1LrZk?si=EOvjKRR3q9_1RSk1

Why we reach for another piece of cake.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Apr-24-24 at 06:51.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-24, 08:17

BF:

I don't think it's so much emotion that shapes what food you eat. I'm not sure what to call it. Habit? An addictive personality? Because we know there are definitely addictive qualities to cake, donuts, candy and such.

But whereas I could eat cake/donuts/cookies/chips until I was half-sick on them, then want more an hour later, the naturally thin people I have known would eat an apple OR one donut OR a small piece of cake OR a green salad (with a teaspoon of dressing on it) - and not even think about eating anything again for half a day.

To them, food is food is food. It's all interchangeable. They tend to gravitate towards "healthy" foods, but junk food serves the purpose of filling their belly just as well. They might think "oh that was really good", but it never continues in their mind as "I'd like more of that", whether it's a filet mignon, a fancy dessert, a donut, or a green salad.

At least that's been what I've observed among those who are naturally thin, which is why I think it's at least partly an addiction problem.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-24, 03:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
At least that's been what I've observed among those who are naturally thin, which is why I think it's at least partly an addiction problem.

I agree. But it would seem, with the naturally thin being food-indifferent, that the new weight loss drugs can mimic that natural variation, only more so.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-24, 10:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I agree. But it would seem, with the naturally thin being food-indifferent, that the new weight loss drugs can mimic that natural variation, only more so.

Yes, I believe that's exactly the purpose of the new weight loss drugs.

Just like how it was a revelation to Oprah that she finally "got it" when she started the drugs "You weren't even thinking about the food".

From what I've observed with the naturally thin, the need to eat is almost an inconvenience to them. They have better things to do with their time, even if it's just watching TV.

It's not as if they don't ever have a craving for a certain food (or even junk food), but when they do, a very small amount of it is sufficient to satisfy their craving, and then they probably won't want it again for a year or two - and there will probably not be any other cravings during that time frame either. Just the inconvenience of needing to eat a little something once or twice a day as a social obligation, or so that they don't waste away.

This story - I couldn't believe it when a naturally thin friend told me what had happened. Her DH had taken her to one of the many huge smorgasboards in this area. He of course filled up plate after plate to eat. She wandered around the entire smorgasboard (hundreds of items available, all freshly prepared - nearly 50 items on the salad bar alone, and there's hundreds of other items available of every type - baked goods, vegetable dishes, fruit dishes, meats, desserts, there's even a custom made omelet bar) and didn't see a single thing that appealed to her. Nothing at all. She went back to their table with an empty plate. (To the credit of this smorgasboard, they ended up not charging her since she didn't eat anything that day)

It was a long time ago she'd told me about that incident - I can't recall if she eventually got hungry that day or not. But she just wasn't thinking about food because if you were at all hungry and faced with that many choices available for the taking, you'd find SOMETHING that would at least ease the hunger pangs.