Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-05-24, 09:09

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default How to eat Vegan at McD's

Not sure why anyone would go to McD's and expect to eat vegan, but here ya go:

Quote:
Where Are You, McPlant? Why McDonald’s Still Doesn’t Have a Meatless Option in the US

McDonald’s US may be lagging behind the rest of the world when it comes to vegan options, but there are some vegan menu options and plenty of other places to grab a tasty and quick plant-based burger. Here’s how to eat vegan at McDonald’s.

More than 80 years ago, the first-ever McDonald’s opened up shop in San Bernardino, CA. Its mission, at the time, was to wow people with two things: speed and low prices. Customers could have a hamburger in their hand in just a few minutes, and it would only cost them around 15 cents (less than half a gallon of milk at the time). We know now that this was the dawn of a booming fast-food industry.

Today, McDonald’s has locations in more than 100 countries, and it also has stiff competition from chains like Burger King and KFC. But is the former pioneer of the fast-food industry keeping up with changing attitudes around diet today?

The words “flexitarian,” “plant-based,” or “vegan” weren’t widely in use when McDonald’s flung open its doors in the 1940s. But now, more people than ever are cutting down on animal products. In fact, one study last year estimated that over half of young Americans now consume more plant-based meals than meat-based ones. From fries that contain milk to zero veggie burger options, it’s safe to say there is work to be done at McDonald’s. But it’s not totally impossible to avoid animal products at the world’s biggest fast-food chain.

Here’s how to eat vegan at McDonald’s in the US, as well as an overview of some of the chain’s popular plant-based options overseas.

The McPlant burger

There was a time when you could find a vegan-friendly burger at McDonald’s—but only if you lived near one of the eight test locations sprinkled across Texas, Iowa, Louisiana, and Southern California. At its height, the chain’s vegan-friendly burger—dubbed the McPlant—was served in 600 restaurants from February to August of 2022 as a test for future markets. Due to slow sales, the burger was not greenlit for a nationwide expansion plan, forcing plant-based patrons to get scrappy when it came to ordering.

The burger, which features a Beyond Meat plant-based patty, is available in a number of markets around the world. It’s a permanent menu item in the UK, for example, as well as Germany and Portugal. In some markets, the burger is certified vegan, but in others, it is served with dairy cheese and mayonnaise (but it can be ordered without). The US McPlant trial didn’t experience the same success as other countries. This is the opposite of rival Burger King, which announced the successful nationwide launch of its plant-based Impossible Whopper in 2019. Some have speculated that the McDonald’s McPlant trial was hindered by the fact that many of the chain’s participating US locations were in rural areas, where plant-based options aren’t as popular. However, the fast-food giant itself hasn’t commented on the trial results. It also hasn’t announced any plans for further trials or a nationwide launch.

Vegan fast-food items that have come and gone

America’s short-lived McPlant is not the only plant-based menu item we’ve seen cycle through a fast-food chain in the blink of an eye, many plant-based alternatives have failed to stand up to the test. Panda Express pulled its Beyond Orange Chicken, for example, which was first launched in 2021, before it was expanded to 2,300 US restaurants in September 2022. The limited-time offering has now run its course and will not be restocked for the foreseeable future.

In July 2020, El Pollo Loco rolled out its vegan Chickenless Pollo. Unlike other chains, El Pollo Loco made its own product in lieu of reaching out to an established plant-based meat company. The soy-based pollo was discontinued a few months later. KFC also teased us with a short-lived vegan chicken item. Following a series of in-market tests that began as far back as 2019, the Beyond Meat-based vegan chicken rolled out to 4,000 US locations in January 2022. Like other plant-based items that were limited to a finite amount of time, Beyond Fried Chicken was removed quietly and without any indication of a future return.

Are McDonald’s fries vegan?

Fries are a go-to when eating fast food for most people. If there is nothing else on the menu, you can be pretty safe with an order of fries and perhaps a side salad. But not at McDonald’s. The chain’s World Famous Fries are seasoned with beef flavoring, which doesn’t contain any actual meat, but it does contain milk (go figure).

In many other countries, McDonald’s fries are vegan, so it’s worth double-checking if you’re traveling abroad. In the UK, for example, the menu item is certified as vegan by The Vegetarian Society. Several petitions have been set up urging the chain to follow suit in the US, but as of yet, there is no indication that the recipe will be changed. But, if you’re craving fast-food fries, a number of chains offer vegan French fries.

McDonald’s vegan breakfast

There may be no burger and no fries, but is there at least a McDonald’s vegan breakfast? Again, the options are limited. If you’re happy with a plain English muffin, you’re in luck. But there isn’t much else. The hash browns are cooked with the same beef flavoring as the fries (which contains milk), and the oatmeal is made with dairy cream. If you’re in the market for black coffee or orange juice, these drink options are vegan. But note, there are no plant-based milk options. In the UK, McDonald’s hash browns and its new Mini Potato Waffles are vegan. In Hong Kong, customers can order vegan “SPAM” (made with OmniPork Luncheon plant-based meat) on the breakfast menu, although all of the options are served with eggs. The chain does offer dairy-free lattes made with Oatly, however. And Australian customers can also order oat milk with their coffee in McCafé locations.

McDonald’s vegan options

Though they are limited, McDonald’s has a handful of other vegan options on US menu. Here are a few of the menu items available to US

1 Desserts

Customers in Germany were treated to a vegan KitKat McFlurry option in 2022, but in the US, no such menu item has appeared yet. But while most of the dessert menu is dominated by dairy, there is one option vegans can enjoy: the Baked Apple Pie, which features a hot apple filling, lattice crust, and sprinkling of sugar.

2 Sides

Fries are a no-go, but if you’ve got kids in the back of the car, you could grab a pack of Apple Slices for them to snack on. (Or just munch on them yourself!)

3 Condiments

Without French fries or sandwiches, we’re not quite sure what to put sauces on, but it’s always good to know what’s vegan. Along with the standard ketchup and mustard, the Tangy Barbeque and Sweet ‘N Sour dipping sauces are free from animals. Our tip to you: take these sauces home and enjoy them with your favorite vegan nuggets.

4 Burgers

As established, there is currently no vegan or even veggie burger option at McDonald’s in the US. But if you are really desperate, you could create something relatively substantial by making a few alterations. The burger buns are vegan, so one option is to order a regular Big Mac, request to remove the beef patty, cheese, and Big Mac sauce, add in one of the vegan condiments from above, and double up on the lettuce, onion, and pickles.

5 Soft drinks If you’re just grabbing a quick beverage at McDonald’s, you’ll have a fair amount of choice, as most of its soft drink options, like Coca-Cola, Sprite, Dr Pepper, and sweet tea, are, of course, vegan. You could also try a Hi-C Orange Lavaburst. The fruity soda used to be a staple on the McDonald’s menu before it was discontinued a few years ago. Now, the chain has brought it back. Orange juice and apple juice cartons are also available.

6 Coffee As there is no plant-based milk on offer, coffee options are limited. However, if you’re just stopping by for a quick caffeine hit, you can grab an Americano (black, of course), or a cup of its Premium Roast Coffee.

https://vegnews.com/restaurants/veg...t-based-burgers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-14-24, 10:25

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

There isn't much for a carnivore to eat at McDonald's either. Just the meat patty and water to drink.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-14-24, 17:21

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Vegans are 2% of the population. I wouldn't expect any restaurant to cater to them—especially factory fast-food.

Actually, I don't know why anybody eats there. The food is mediocre at best, and full of unhealthy additives.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-15-24, 04:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Actually, I don't know why anybody eats there. The food is mediocre at best, and full of unhealthy additives.

It's tasty and convenient. These are the people who tell me, with a laugh, that food is food and I'm being all restrictive and I'm the one with a disorder.

And they believe it. Or need to.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-15-24, 07:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You must be pretty desperate to be vegan and go to McD's or a similar fast-food/quick-service restaurant. The potatoes and the sandwiches with nothing but bread and a few veggies easily has the highest profit margin. You're financially supporting the restaurant serving meat.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-15-24, 08:36

BF:

That's why I think it's virtue signaling because they eat potato chips and drink coke. Seed oils do a lot of the damage and they won't hear of their cold-pressed sunflower oil being the problem.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-15-24, 08:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Where Are You, McPlant? Why McDonald’s Still Doesn’t Have a Meatless Option in the US
Lucky old us (or not!) in the UK, we do: https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/menu/vegan.html

I do love that water is a vegan option!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-15-24, 08:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I do, though not very often.

When I travel for work, at a pinch I will sometimes order a couple of plain quarter pounders with a side salad.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the UK the patties are 100% beef, no additives. The same can't be said for many of the burgers you are served in a cafe or restaurant.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-15-24, 11:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I do, though not very often.

When I travel for work, at a pinch I will sometimes order a couple of plain quarter pounders with a side salad.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in the UK the patties are 100% beef, no additives. The same can't be said for many of the burgers you are served in a cafe or restaurant.

According to DD1 (who lives in the UK) this is apparently a UK thing. As I understand it, Five Guys over there also does 100% beef burgers. (At least they did when we visited almost 15 years ago).

Every time DD1 has had friends over for burgers, they marvel at how good her burgers taste, and can't figure out why hers taste so much better than the ones they make at home.

But everyone she knows is using fillers (which I'm assuming are mostly bread crumbs or flour) in their burgers, just like the restaurants do.

I don't know why they do this, unless it was because of post-WWII rationing issue, when you couldn't get enough meat to make enough all meat burgers to feed the entire family, so everyone got used to the meat being extended with flour or breadcrumbs.

As an aside, I hated the sausages I was served there, because they all tasted like flour to me - obviously another situation where they were extending the meat with flour or breadcrumbs to make the sausages.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-16-24, 02:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Every time DD1 has had friends over for burgers, they marvel at how good her burgers taste, and can't figure out why hers taste so much better than the ones they make at home.

But everyone she knows is using fillers (which I'm assuming are mostly bread crumbs or flour) in their burgers, just like the restaurants do.

Meatloaf always has crumbs in it. But McDonald's does keep their patties 100% beef. Dr. Ken Berry has a video where he demonstrates getting just the patties off the ala carte menu, with a knife and fork.

Our local restaurants are not chains, and the ones I go to serve 100% beef, and I just order it without the bun and leave the potato chips on the plate. Because I order cheeseburgers, and it's wasted if it sticks to the bun.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-16-24, 02:35

BF:

When I started low carb, TWO decades ago, veganism was already irrational. There was a period where many vegan bloggers were dropping out for health reasons, and then taking down their sites because of death threats.

I don't think they have changed and now we know how much corporate money is being paid to people to promote this. You know the hardcore by how they look because they start losing the fat in their face and the muscles in their limbs.

But the overweight vegans simply eat nothing but junk food. Vegan bakeries! Fake meat! Spinach smoothies which have put people in the hospital with the oxalate overload.

Yet... no warnings from anyone with a loud megaphone about the dangers of this happy-happy marketing. Like we are children.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-16-24, 09:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Meatloaf always has crumbs in it. But McDonald's does keep their patties 100% beef. Dr. Ken Berry has a video where he demonstrates getting just the patties off the ala carte menu, with a knife and fork.

Our local restaurants are not chains, and the ones I go to serve 100% beef, and I just order it without the bun and leave the potato chips on the plate. Because I order cheeseburgers, and it's wasted if it sticks to the bun.

I was speaking specifically of the burgers UK based restaurants serve in the UK/British Isles, and how it seems that those who are UK bred and born even makes burgers at home with bread crumbs or flour added to them.

So you can see why UK natives would be shocked that the burgers made by a US native (such as DD1) are so much better than what they normally have there.

With the exception of US based fast food places in the UK (McD's and Five Guys - I see there's also Wendy's in a few towns there now too - their UK website says the burgers are 100% British beef) it seems that everyone does some kind of watered down (crumbed down?) version of burgers there. Yuck.

As far as I know, all restaurants in the US that sell hamburgers make them from 100% beef. At least I've never encountered one here that sells some kind of mixture extended with crumbs or flour and passes it off as a hamburger.

Of course they all serve it on a bun (which you can ditch) with some kind of potatoes on the side, but the burger itself is all beef.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-16-24, 10:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I was speaking specifically of the burgers UK based restaurants serve in the UK/British Isles, and how it seems that those who are UK bred and born even makes burgers at home with bread crumbs or flour added to them.
Interesting. I am born and bred and have never made burgers at home using either bread crumbs or flour. Perhaps it's a regional thing.

However, I do know that supermarket/restaurant burgers often contain ingredients such as wheat, potato, rice or gram flour, maize or tapioca starch. I wouldn't buy or eat them, but plenty do.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-16-24, 10:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Interesting. I am born and bred and have never made burgers at home using either bread crumbs or flour. Perhaps it's a regional thing.

However, I do know that supermarket/restaurant burgers often contain ingredients such as wheat, potato, rice or gram flour, maize or tapioca starch. I wouldn't buy or eat them, but plenty do.

It may be regional - she's in Norwich.

Or maybe those she knows can't be bothered to actually form hamburger patties themselves, so they buy them with the starchy stuff mixed in and formed, and just cook them without considering what's in them.

Apparently they're just used to it - I don't recall eating a burger when we visited except for going to Five Guys one time (which was all beef, because that's what Five Guys serves).

I do recall DD1 was telling me that this sausage or that sausage was really good, but I couldn't hack the overwhelming taste of flour in them.

Adding stuff like that to ground beef reminds me a little bit of the cheap "blend 'o beef" that was available back in the 70's - it was ground beef with soy protein mixed into it. You had to read the small print to figure out what was different about it, but it was so much cheaper than the 70% ground beef that it was a way you could have something sort of meaty-tasting on a poor newlywed/college student's budget.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-17-24, 03:49

BF:

This really shows the ridiculous lengths a vegan demands. They created their own media storm which convinced investors to pour money into foods "no one in their right minds" would want to eat.

Biology explains vegans to me by knowing that when they drastically cut down on their bioavailable food intake, they are essentially on a functional fast. Of course they feel better! Overweight or not, at first, they are actually running on animal fat.

Also why that "honeymoon feeling" doesn't last. But they are convinced that avoiding animal foods is the way to get it back. And now they are running on toxic positivity. Now it's entirely mental and avoiding real world feedback.

I can always tell a real vegan. They look like someone who is very sick. Sunken, dull eyes, poor skin tone from lack of hemoglobin, and the ones who shoot steroids to keep muscle are really playing with fire.

Ironically, most people are in such poor health they believe the health claims and try to be "more plant-based." And blame the lack of good results on them not being "plant based enough."

This traps them like a plane spinning towards the ground. They can't fly straight enough to get any lift.