Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-20, 10:06

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemaste
So glad you liked Joan, She has some videos on YouTube of her working out if you’re interested. You mentioning mobility exercises has me considering returning to physio. You have the right attitude - nip it in the bud before it becomes a bigger issue. Is it painful?

My daughter has just prepared us some food, she’s been here today helping me sort things out. I bought a new sofa and now need to sell my old ones. I’m trying to decide whether to stick with two sofas in the lounge or go for a sofa and armchairs... first world problems! I want to have it all ready for Xmas... not that anyone will be able to visit with the way things are!
Everything is going well here but it’s been a busy day for me! I’ll be exhausted tomorrow! You are doing so well with fasting!

There is a bit of pain in my left hip from an injury that never really healed (though at least one therapist thought tight hip flexors played a role). I find eating low carb and/or fasting reduces that pain. Now my right hip sometimes freezes momentarily, without pain - it sometimes prevents me from turning quickly to the right! I probably sit too much. I have mobility exercises for hip flexors. I am hoping those address both issues...

What fun to have your daughter involved with redecorating!

I ate a bit of unhelpful sugar on the weekend, but have kept up the fasting (20.5 hours Friday night, 19 hours Sat night).

Planning 18 hour fast through lunch today, steak and lettuce for lunch, 27 hour fast tonight through dinner Tuesday, then 2 more 27 hour fasts Wed and Fri night. I have been stuck at my current weight and waist size for about a month. Hoping the extra fasting helps. If it doesn’t shift soon, I might have to break out the skinless chicken breast!

Hope you recovered from your busy weekend!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-20, 10:47

Plan: South Beach Stillman QWL
Stats: 226/214.6/140 Female 5ft10 3/4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSB
There is a bit of pain in my left hip from an injury that never really healed (though at least one therapist thought tight hip flexors played a role). I find eating low carb and/or fasting reduces that pain. Now my right hip sometimes freezes momentarily, without pain - it sometimes prevents me from turning quickly to the right! I probably sit too much. I have mobility exercises for hip flexors. I am hoping those address both issues...

What fun to have your daughter involved with redecorating!

I ate a bit of unhelpful sugar on the weekend, but have kept up the fasting (20.5 hours Friday night, 19 hours Sat night).

Planning 18 hour fast through lunch today, steak and lettuce for lunch, 27 hour fast tonight through dinner Tuesday, then 2 more 27 hour fasts Wed and Fri night. I have been stuck at my current weight and waist size for about a month. Hoping the extra fasting helps. If it doesn’t shift soon, I might have to break out the skinless chicken breast!

Hope you recovered from your busy weekend!

Your hip issue sound painful but I’m glad you find relief in the LC way of eating!

Yes, my daughter and I are incredibly close, we do lots together. My lounge is looking better than ever, I had way too much stuff and it needed clearing out.

You are doing so well with fasting, I can’t see why the scale wouldn’t move? I hope it does but yes, if not break out the skinless chicken breast, it never fails.

I’m doing surprisingly well... haven’t weighed, but I feel so relaxed with the plan and my jeans are definitely looser!
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-20, 10:52

Yay for loose jeans! There is a saying on another forum - pants don’t lie!
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Nov-16-20, 11:28

BF:

Quote:
Yay for loose jeans! There is a saying on another forum - pants don’t lie!

Absolutely!
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Nov-21-20, 07:50

This was not a good week for me. I fasted and ate on plan Sun and Mon night, but something snapped on Tuesday and I ate way off plan. That continued through yesterday.

It’s back to basics for me today. Hoping 5 days of Stillman’s corrects my appetite. I am not planning any fasting. Just planning to eat a bit of chicken breast or ground bison whenever I feel hungry.

How are you fairing, Nemaste?
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Nov-21-20, 12:44

BF:

Quote:
This was not a good week for me. I fasted and ate on plan Sun and Mon night, but something snapped on Tuesday and I ate way off plan. That continued through yesterday.

It’s back to basics for me today. Hoping 5 days of Stillman’s corrects my appetite. I am not planning any fasting. Just planning to eat a bit of chicken breast or ground bison whenever I feel hungry.

How are you fairing, Nemaste?

Sorry you’ve not had a great week. It goes like that sometimes but it’s great you have a plan of action!

I’ve been doing well but haven’t managed any Stillman days. I’m going to try 30 carbs a day this week - basically Stillman’s but with 30 carbs a day. Not sure if I mentioned that I did this before and lost 7lbs in a week! Of course if at any point I struggle, I’ll up my plan so it’s more in line with a SB/Mediterranean diet. This is still in line with my plan and a step closer to Stillman. Christmas is coming and I would like to lose at least 10lbs by then. Do you have a goal in mind for Xmas?

I’ve just put some 5% mince in the crockpot so that I have it at hand tomorrow. I’ve seasoned It and added spring onions (think you might call them green onions?). I’m going to try and eat a packet of shirataki noodles a day as they really fill me up and so help with weight loss. Let’s aim for a good week ahead! We can do this! I will update my weight in the morning and then keep my weigh day as Sunday thereafter.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Nov-21-20, 13:10

BF:

Just lost my post ugh! I forgot to mention in my last post that I’ll be having some wine tonight. I’m not going to feel guilty so I won’t throw the towel in and go off plan for weeks like I normally would. This way, I feel like I have some control. I think a lot of losing weight is down to self talk. Let’s see how I feel tomorrow.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-20, 09:09

Sounds like you are doing really well! You can achieve 10 pounds by Christmas!

My near-term goal is to weigh less at my upcoming Dec 3rd physical than I did at my last physical (4 years ago)...I really want to avoid that “you gained weight, watch those calories!” lecture.

I had been maintaining at 148 plus or minus 1/2 pound for about 3 months (even with all the fasting, strength training and “intending” to eat low carb...guess my occasional deviations are too common). My few days of off-plan eating this past week has put me over 150. US Thanksgiving is this Thursday - that usually adds a pound or two. I need to weigh 147 in the morning of the appointment to look like I have it under control. Silly, I know this is temporary water weight, but I hate that lecture!

My next goal is to avoid holiday weight gain. I would love to go into January below 148. The past two years I have gained 7 or more pounds through the holidays, then struggled to shed that through the year. It would be nice to start next year’s fat-shed effort from where I am now...not 7 pounds heavier.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-20, 04:20

BF:

Quote:
Sounds like you are doing really well! You can achieve 10 pounds by Christmas!

My near-term goal is to weigh less at my upcoming Dec 3rd physical than I did at my last physical (4 years ago)...I really want to avoid that “you gained weight, watch those calories!” lecture.

I had been maintaining at 148 plus or minus 1/2 pound for about 3 months (even with all the fasting, strength training and “intending” to eat low carb...guess my occasional deviations are too common). My few days of off-plan eating this past week has put me over 150. US Thanksgiving is this Thursday - that usually adds a pound or two. I need to weigh 147 in the morning of the appointment to look like I have it under control. Silly, I know this is temporary water weight, but I hate that lecture!

My next goal is to avoid holiday weight gain. I would love to go into January below 148. The past two years I have gained 7 or more pounds through the holidays, then struggled to shed that through the year. It would be nice to start next year’s fat-shed effort from where I am now...not 7 pounds heavier.

Yes, 10lbs is definitely doable - more would be nice but I’ll settle for 10.

You’ll drop that extra weight in no time. Also, maybe the strength training has increased your numbers a little due to the muscle, fat thing? Totally possible. Do you measure? I always intend to measure but get lazy with it.

Oh yes, of course, Thanksgiving is coming up! We have nothing like that here so the only thing I’m concerned about is Christmas - I don’t want any more than 2 days off plan. I placed my main Xmas order (Meats, poultry, cakes, starters etc) a few weeks back... I might need to edit it if there’s still time (not sure of the cut off date) or it will be an excuse to eat off plan for the whole week of Christmas because I’m sure I’ve ordered too much.

How’s your Monday going?
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-20, 06:42

I am back under 149! Just by a hair...but

I am going to continue Stillman’s for 3 more days, I will treat Thanksgiving dinner as 1 modest “free meal” then get right back on Stills until the day before my physical. Maybe I can make it to 147 by then. Avoiding weight gain over Thanksgiving will be a victory.

I do take measurements weekly. I just rechecked and you are right, my waist measurement had dropped 0.75” in the 3 months I was maintaining. Thank you for that reminder. This morning is my weekly measurement day. I have to warm up the bedroom before I can take the measurements...it is 55 degrees F in my house right now.

for eating on plan this week! It does help to have someone to share this journey.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-20, 10:47

BF:

Yay, that’s great news! Here’s to a Thanksgiving victory - you’ve got this!

I’m going to take my measurements tomorrow - how wonderful that you’re waste has gone down, I wish mine would! Brrrr yes, hope you warmed up the bedroom, I’ve got goosebumps thinking about it.

It is good having each other to lean on - it’s great for accountability. I had an early dinner (4pm) hoping I can go through until the morning so I get a little fast in, we shall see... I had Sockeye salmon (all skin removed) on a bed of bistro salad with asparagus, baby gherkins, onion and a lil Tartare sauce. It was gorgeous! I really enjoyed it and of course being red salmon, it’s meaty with very little fat so perfect for my plan.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-20, 11:46

BF:

My goodness, seeing my weight on the ticker is shocking! Ugh! I thought I was much lighter but I’m certain I’m holding water which does happen sometimes. I’ve dropped 7lb overnight before now. I can only hope!
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-20, 00:53

BF:

1lb down this morning - couldn’t help jumping on the scale.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-20, 07:42

Congrats on the 5#’s!

Your dinner sounded yummy. Sending hopes for the “water whoosh fairy” to visit soon.

I dropped another 3/4 pounds yesterday, so I am back within my 3 month holding pattern range. While it would be nice to see another pound go before Thanksgiving, I am grateful to have recovered from last week’s excesses.

I guess I am starting day 4 of my 5-day Stills plan. Yesterday I ended up eating ground bison, a plain whey shake (after my workout), and skinless chicken breast in chicken broth. Whey protein powder is not on the Stillman ok list, but it has no fat and fewer carbs than cottage cheese, which he does allow. I don’t use it often, but I was hungry and did not have time to cook. It seems some folks get away with non-fat Greek yogurt on Stills. Sadly, I'm not one of them - it is just too tempting - I can eat a whole quart and want more! I made another pot of chicken stock overnight so tonight’s menu will probably be skinless chicken breast poached in broth. My herb garden has been snowed on a couple times already, but I’m hoping to recover a few sprigs of parsley, thyme and chives to flavor the broth. I am having plain tea for breakfast and plan on making a ground bison patty topped with a poached egg for lunch. I think I recall Stillman specifying no bison in one of his books, but it is leaner than beef, so I ignore him.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-20, 10:27

BF:

Great that you’ve recovered from last week and so quickly too! Stillman really is amazing! Ugh, it makes me want to commit to a super strict Stillman week!

I’m not sure I’ve ever had bison... does it taste like strong beef? I often eat venison which like bison is also much leaner than beef.

I drink protein shakes on Stills with no issues. I mix with no added sugar almond milk, it’s super low carb and super low cal too. Sometimes I just put almond milk in the blender with vanilla essence, ice and stevia - it’s good.

Chicken broth sounds so good! I quite fancy some... I could put some chopped shirataki noodles in and do a chicken noodle soup. I have around 18 eggs that need eating. I don’t want to waste them as they are organic so expensive. I’ll probably boil most of them. Not sure how long boiled eggs keep in the fridge as I normally eat them hot.

Lunch was fillet steak, asparagus and bistro salad.

Dinner will be chicken skewers - I haven’t decided how I’ll season them, maybe Tandoori, maybe not.

You’re doing so well this week, well done!