Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 06:49

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Birthday Girl Question

Hi everyone,

I'm about 3 months into this WOE (LCHF). So far I've had great success. I'm down about 15 pounds. I usually eat between 20 - 40 grams of carbs daily. Any higher, I get achy and out of control.

This weekend is my birthday. In my family that means birthday cake with pizza.
I am worried about this reigniting carb cravings and potentially overeating. Any suggestions? How do low carbers celebrate their birthday?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 06:59

Plan: Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 225/183/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I would pick a new birthday meal since you are the birthday girl! Ask your family to give you the gift of supporting your new WOE which is the greatest gift they can give you and then come up with an alternative menu! Pick a favorite low carb dessert, like cheesecake made with sweetener and topped with fresh stewed berries. Don't cheat yourself just to appease tradition or others, if this WOE has done you the favor of gifting you with great success, now you owe it to yourself to not waffle on what you know is working for you. I read something recently in the 100 days of journaling notebook. Before you eat something off plan, picture yourself eating it naked in front of a mirror. If I picture myself eating pizza and cake in front of a mirror naked, I can tell you that makes those things revolting to me Just my 2 cents!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 08:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Happy birthday in advance. I agree with PP about asking your family to support you.

I just had my birthday this week. I've been LCHF for many years.

If your family wants regular pizza and you think you might be swayed, try what I did for mine: I made home made LC pizza. My flax meal crust (tons of recipes here) with ground beef, bacon, cheese, olives, red peppers and mushrooms as toppings. I think it tastes much better than delivery pizza and is so much better for you.

My DH and DD (adult) are supportive of my WOL. DH is semi LC. DD understands why I do LCHF but isn't ready to jump on the bandwagon. My more extended family are definitely ANTI LC.

Oh, and skip the cake. You will be too full from home made pizza
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 09:03

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwloser
Hi everyone,
I am worried about this reigniting carb cravings and potentially overeating. Any suggestions? How do low carbers celebrate their birthday?

Make a chocolate brownie cake using almond flour, 100% cacao chocolate, butter, coconut oil and eggs. Eat it with lots of double cream and if you must have a touch of sweetness add a little fruit. This is what I had for my last birthday. The recipe I use results in a cake which is 15% carbs, 77% fat and 8% protein by calories but this is before adding any cream or fruit.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 09:13

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

"between 20 - 40 grams of carbs daily. Any higher, I get achy and out of control."

If you are willing to accept these things you have found out by experience then it is up to you how to celebrate!

Whatever you choose I wish you a happy birthday and many more.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 09:30
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Sending you early B'day wishes!

You're the b'day girl, you should have what you want.

I've always kept any of my celebrations/special events totally OP. So I roast a turkey for my b'days and put a candle on top, but I'm a carb addict to the MAX...

Best Wishes!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 09:37

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

EDIT: A turkey with a candle is what I'm getting Jo, just like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
...for my b'days and put a candle on top...

OMG Jo, I just found out what I'm requesting for my next birthday. I think everyone will get a kick out of this and a GREAT low carb birthday meal. I can even send leftovers home with the guests!!!

Thank you for a great suggestion. Maybe the OP can try it this year, or maybe next (if you like Turkey that is)

Last edited by thud123 : Thu, Jul-14-16 at 10:19.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 09:41
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
OMG Jo, I just found out what I'm requesting for my next birthday. I think everyone will get a kick out of this and a GREAT low carb birthday meal. I can even send leftovers home with the guests!!!

Thank you for a great suggestion. Maybe the OP can try it this year, or maybe next (if you like Turkey that is)
OMG I can't wait to hear what you're requesting for your next b'day ~ knowing you it's gonna be spectacular!

I'll be waiting... hey, when's your b'day, dude b/c it's not on your profile...pfffffffffffft!

EDIT: WTG, thud! I LOVE whole roasted turkey and do it 3 times a year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and for my b'day)!

Last edited by Just Jo : Thu, Jul-14-16 at 11:02. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! HA!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 09:42

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 282/213/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 57%

I'm odd. I celebrated my birthday by fasting for 24 hours. It worked for me and I felt great and that I had done something really significant for myself!! LOL

Last edited by calgal98 : Thu, Jul-14-16 at 09:43. Reason: mistake
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 09:44
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgal98
I'm odd. I celebrated my birthday by fasting for 24 hours. It worked for me and I felt great and that I had done really significant for myself!! LOL
WOW that's terrific! Good for you! Huge Congrats on your 24 hour fast! Have you done any more?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 10:45

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Or you could ask for a cheese birthday cake

Over here many shops offer them, or you could buy the cheeses separately and stack them up
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 11:03
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Or you could ask for a cheese birthday cake

Over here many shops offer them, or you could buy the cheeses separately and stack them up
WOW what a terrific idea, Elizellen!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 11:07

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
WTG, thud! I LOVE whole roasted turkey and do it 3 times a year (Thanksgiving, Christmas and for my b'day)! [/COLOR][/B]

So I'm not the only one who does roast turkeys several times a year

We do turkey for New Years, Easter, one in summer sometime, Canadian Thanksgiving, American Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Did I mention we LOVE turkey?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 11:24
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

We are working on new traditions in my family. For my past 3 birthday celebrations we've had...

2014 - Low Carb Strawberry Cheesecake with an almond meal crust
2015 - Low Carb Strawberry Cheesecake pudding
2016 - A SF chocolate flax muffin

When other family members have a B-day celebration, we still sometimes do cake. I don't partake, but I usually do have some LC goodie while the others eat cake. Once it was SF jello with SF whipped cream. Another time it was a few diced strawberries in whipped cream. I don't eat regular cake. No exceptions. For me it will reignite cravings and there is nothing in the cake that my body needs.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-16, 12:00

Stats: 200/143/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

I can't help ya out with the cake, but I will tell you that several times I have been "surprised" with pizza while on this WOE and I always just scrape all the toppings off of the crust and toss the crust then chow down on the toppings with a knife and fork. It isn't ideal, because there may be a lil bit of sugar in the sauce, but way better than blowing everything you have worked for and it feels indulgent.