Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 13:43

Plan: PP/Atkins/Transformation
Stats: 305/264/220 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Does anyone know where I could find Bob Mill's Vital Wheat Gluten flour in downtown Ottawa. I am going to run out soon and would miss my own home-made lowcarb bread.

You can get Vital Wheat Gluten by weight at most health food stores like Herb and Spice (in cooler). The bigger Loblaws also carry Bob's brand.

I was in Chinatown this morning for oranges and looking for noodles and black Soy Beans at the new store, 1058 Somerset (close to Neighborhood Services).
No Black Soy Beans but I picked up bean sprouts at .59/pound, white sesame seeds (almost 0 ECC), and my biggest find of all ...Konnyaku Noodle Rolls.

"Super Premium Grade Hi-Fibre [qb]Konnyaku[/qb] is a form of gelatinous noodle (several noodles tied in a thich, short ribbon) that is 6.5 carbs - 4 fiber for 2.5 ECC for 100 grams (about 6 of these noodle rolls) that are rolled to look a bit like a 2" squid with about 20 little tails . They run $1.38 for a pack of 20, soaking in water. I made up a large batch of hearty chicken soup (Eade's recent recipe but more chicken and threw both packs of noodles in. I got 5 or 6 of theese large noodle ribbons that offered a fantastic texture to someone who has not had any noodles other than soy in a year and a half. I'll be back to pick up several more packs this afternoon. They have to be refrigerated or I would pick up more.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 11:22

BF:

Just an update on these noodles. They come in a non refrigerated type as well for $1.78. Pasta it is not but if you are looking for a low carb filler with a unique texture this helps and makes for a great change.

The Konnyaku looks like the images below, except at this store they came in "tuber like" ribbons of about 20 strands already rolled. It picks up the flavor of whatever it is cooked in and has the texture of tender calamari. The bag below is listed at 4 ECC. The rolled ones that I got are about 1.2 ECC/bundle. One style actually claimed no calories and negative ECC ( 1 carb and 3 fiber/bag but that does not compute) but checking most sites shows them at about 3 ECC serving.
My wife who dislikes most true oriental foods from Chinatown, loved these and would like to try them in a sauce since they are similar to pasta but more rubbery.

Rinse, add to boiling water, Chicken broth, chucks of chicken, a few shots of Frank's Red Hot, some LC veggies, a few fried shallots and a touch of salt. A large noodle bowl (24 oz) comes to 7 or 8 ECC with a fair chunk of noodles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg konnyaku.jpg (3.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg konnyaku1.jpg (76.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Ottawa : Wed, Aug-04-04 at 11:29.
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: my own adapted
Stats: 210/187/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question Talking Rain Sparkling Ice

A few weeks ago I bought a case of Sparkling Ice at the Costco on Innes. I went back today to buy some more, but they didn't have any. Would anyone happen to know if any of the other Costco's in Ottawa still carry it?

I also picked up a box of the Atkins Ice Cream Bars... while they are little high in calories, I must admit they are nicest lc "treat" I have tried so far.
Regards
  #139   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 21:31

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnfast
A few weeks ago I bought a case of Sparkling Ice at the Costco on Innes. I went back today to buy some more, but they didn't have any. Would anyone happen to know if any of the other Costco's in Ottawa still carry it?

I was out at the Merivale store on Monday and they still had a pallate of it out in the drinks and juices area. I agree with you on the ice cream bars as well. I try to get them rarely now, just a reminder treat once in a while.
  #140   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:99%
Progress: 85%
Default Breyer's Carb Smart Ice Cream at Loblaws

Picked up a container of Breyer's Carb Smart Ice Cream last night at the South Keys Loblaws - tastes good, but it's over 6 bucks a container.

Now I just need to keep myself from eating the whole thing

shutt
  #141   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey shutt22, I have purchased the Breyers for either 3.99 or 4.99 at Loeb in South Keys.
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 10:49

Stats: 235/230/170 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default low carb tortillas

GNC bank was supposed to re-open late August, but it does not seem open yet. The other GNC's don't seem to know when it will open. The Bank one is partly privately owned and does not have all of the same elements as the other GNC's. I love the La Tortilla brand tortillas (great for wraps) they carried. With 3 g carbs ea. they were terrific for lunch. Anyone else in Ottawa know where I can get the La Tortilla brand wraps in Ottawa (besides ordering from the web?)
Thanks in advance rich
  #143   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 10:52

Stats: 235/230/170 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default Warning I think?

I recently got the Bryers L/C Choclate Ice Cream. On the label it 'seems' to say only 4 carbs per 125ml. It tastes great and I was still purple when I had it, but recently I actually read the label, GO FIGURE!! It seems to say that the 4 grams of carbs are from SUGAR while the actual carb value was 9.7. Over twice what i thought the actual carb level was. Now am I reading that label correctly. Is the carb level I should worry about 9.7? or 4?
You can find this ice cream at loblaws and loeb.
  #144   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 09:05

Plan: No Starch/High booze diet
Stats: 235/183/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Bah not sure..
Progress: 95%

Richster01 in reply to the Low Carb Wraps I have found the Oroweat Carb Counting Tortillas at almost any Loblaws. They have 10 grams per wrap but they are huge.. I can usually use 1 for 2 servings or meals. They retail for about 3.99$ I think. Otherwise Fitness Depot (either in Orleans or in their West end store) carry their own brand but boy do they sack you on the price. Just not worth it I say. However I did try them and were indeed great tasting and had 3 grams (smaller in size though).