Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 01:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low carbohydrate diet may lower risk of glaucoma, finds study

Low carbohydrate diet may lower risk of glaucoma, finds study

https://medicaldialogues.in/ophthal...nds-study-67737

Quote:
Researcher at New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai (NYEE) have found in an Observational study that following a long-term diet that's low in carbohydrates and high in fat and protein from vegetables may lower the risk of the most common subtype of glaucoma. They have discovered that if at-risk groups adhere to these dietary restrictions, they may reduce their risk of developing primary open angle glaucoma with early paracentral visual loss by 20 percent. The results of the research have been published in the journal Eye-Nature.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 03:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
protein from vegetables

I cannot believe there's anything special about protein from vegetables.

Otherwise, that's a really important boost for low carb. Since it's also preventative for diabetes AND macular degeneration, which are two sources which cause a lot of blindness.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 06:40

Plan: <20g when motivated
Stats: 229/219/145 Female 175 cm
BF:40%/40.6%/less
Progress: 12%

There is a movement to push national (all nations) dietary guidelines towards very little animal matter (hence the popularity of "plant protein'). The idea is that animal agriculture is one of the many things that is doing serious harm to the planet and is not sustainable. I'm not fond of the idea of living on a planet where it becomes impossible to have grass fed animals to eat because all land must be used to grow wheat (or whatever) to feed the Kazillions of people on the planet. That prospect is quite terrifying actually. But controlling the growth of the human population doesn't get talked about as much as "going vegan".... Someday we are going to have to start that conversation.

I wonder if the processing required to produce decent quantities of plant protein is sustainable?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 06:59

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I agree, the "protein from vegetables" is silly.
But i am sure it will sell the product given the nutrition ignorance of the times.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 08:58

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
a long-term diet that's low in carbohydrates and high in fat and protein from vegetables

To me this whole phrase is contradictory, and worded clumsily, without what I'd consider to be the necessary punctuation for it to make sense.

If you're eating a diet high in protein from vegetables, you're not going to be eating low carb. Even using a plant based food that is high in both fats and protein (high for plant matter, that is), such as soybeans (which is not technically even a vegetable, but actually a legume), a 1 cup serving has 28 g protein and 15 g of fat. But that's not enough protein, you would need at least 2 cups of soybeans daily, most likely 3 cups of them to get sufficient dietary protein. That would still only give you at most 45 g of fat, hardly what I'd consider to be high fat. But at 17 g carbs per cup, by the time you eat 3 cups of them, you're already up to 51 g of carbs. if you rely on plant based food for your protein and fats, you're not going to be eating low carb. If your plant based diet is truly low carb, then you could always add additional plant based oils to increase your fats, but you're not going to be eating high protein. (unless you're eating large amounts of spirunlina, which apparently has 2 g protein/teaspoon. So you think great - add a couple of tablespoons to each plant based meal, and you'll be getting plenty of protein! But it apparently tastes so bad that they aren't able to tolerate eating more than about about 1 tsp of it)

Reading the rest of the article, seems it was an observational study based on food recall questionnaires (which are notoriously unreliable). But it does seem that they studied the glaucoma incidence rates between those on a plant based low carb diet, compared to an animal based low carb diet.

The real question then becomes what do they consider to be low carb with high fat and high protein? Obviously not what most of us on here would consider to fit that description, because the combination of low carb diet which is truly high fat, and high in protein would be nearly impossible to achieve on a truly plant based diet.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 10:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

It's an epidemiological study informed by food questionnaires. Hardly the gold standard. Some who understand this will completely discount this "study," others will believe what they want to believe is true, and others will think it as the gospel without picking up on the contradictions cited in this thread. Not much new here; although, the nutrient dense protein from meat is a much more efficient way to achieve better health.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 12:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_tara
But controlling the growth of the human population doesn't get talked about as much as "going vegan".... Someday we are going to have to start that conversation.

Discussion of population control, like religion, politics and other contentious topics, is not permitted at Active Low-Carber Forums .. our policy, since 2007.

Please stick to the original thread topic.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 12:39

Hey Bob, I didn't mean to tick you off. (We're on the same wave length by-the-way). I have a suspicion that the grain lobby easily manipulates political debate and fashion.

ZPG.... NPG (negative population growth) is what we need now.

And I still ask, how "sustainable" is the processing required to concentrate protein from plant material?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-20, 04:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
It's an epidemiological study informed by food questionnaires.

In other words, they lied.

Veganism has become such a virtue signal I am certain their actual intakes were distorted. Based on the people who declare they are "practically vegetarian" because... they don't have meat at every meal, and when they do, it's chicken breast.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-20, 04:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Discussion of population control, like religion, politics and other contentious topics, is not permitted at Active Low-Carber Forums .. our policy, since 2007.

Please stick to the original thread topic.

Sorry about that! Will do!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-20, 08:45

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Quote:
Originally Posted by less_tara
Hey Bob, I didn't mean to tick you off. (We're on the same wave length by-the-way). I have a suspicion that the grain lobby easily manipulates political debate and fashion.

ZPG.... NPG (negative population growth) is what we need now.

And I still ask, how "sustainable" is the processing required to concentrate protein from plant material?

Whoever has the most money manipulates the media.

Veganism has become a fad diet (slight exaggeration) due to the media.

What they don't tell you is that the methane produced to create fertilizer is 100 times more than all the cow burps and farts, even considering the corn fed problem.

Mark Twain is credited with this: "There are 3 kinds of lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics." By cherry picking your statistics you can make them say whatever you want.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/just-on...pa-h-1835376030

And if you are going to blame cow farts, what about pet dogs, cats and so on? Are they more important that food? If farts are really the problem, shouldn't we eliminate them first? (of course I'm just showing the faulty logic the vegans use).

There are 7 nutrients you can't get from plants, some are essential (you can't live without them so you must supplement) and all are important and all are beneficial to your health and longevity:
  1. Vitamin B12
  2. Creatine
  3. Carnosine
  4. Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol)
  5. Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
  6. Heme iron
  7. Taurine

I'm not giving them up.

Notes