Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:45

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Have you RAISED your goal weight?

Howdy. When I first joined this website I think I had my goal at 140. Then my best friend got down to under 130 and we're the same height...so I figured why not? I thought we were the same build...but she's lost all her, um, chest area. I've lost 55 lbs and not lost much there myself. So I'm starting to think we really aren't the same build. I've checked all the height/weight and bmi info and it seems like 140 is about an average weight for my height (not that it means much)...I've been looking at other profiles on here and most of the ones I've looked at where the lady was my height, the goal is 140. I suppose I'm wondering if I shouldn't have lowered my goal...

Last night I uploaded a new current photo (thanks for all the comments). When I compared it to my last current photo - a 20 lb. difference - the improvement was amazing. I'm thinking that another 20 lbs. might be just enough and 30 would be too much, based on the differences in the two photos. (But when I look in the mirror my belly and my thighs look more like at least 30 more lbs.!!!) So I'm thinking about raising my goal.

Have any of you raised your goal? I feel so funny about doing it...like I'm cheating or something, you know?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:05

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Only you can determine what weight you want to aim for. You may want to raise you goal to 140, then when you get there, re-evaluate how you look and feel to see it that weight agrees with you. You can always set a new goal if the 140 is not satisfactory.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:05

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Hello..I would do what is comfortable for you before you gained the weight...that is what I am doing..some say at 5'1" I should have a goal of 130 or 120..I still am going for the 110. That is the most comfortable for me. So if you have any old photos that you could look at of yourself that is the best thing to do. I have one of me at 105 in mind..but I think that was really too thin. It was hard to buy cloths that were comfortable..but still seeing myself as thin and healthy again.

Best of luck to you..and think about a journal for yourself.
Anna
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:38
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

If you're exercising a lot, and changing your body composition and shape, the number of pounds you're aiming for isn't the real issue. Do your clothes fit better? Is your body fat about where you'd like it to be? I think these are the things that matter, not the number on the scale.

Sounds to me as if you're doing great!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/178/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile

I've set my goal weight for 155lbs for now. I've actually decided to just kind of see how things go. If I get down to 160 or 165lbs and I like the way I look, I'll decide that's my goal weight. I'm trying not to rely too much on the number on the scale - more on the way I look in my clothes or in the mirror.

How about setting it at 140lbs, and once you get there see how you like your body at that point? If you want to lose more, re-adjust your goal weight.

Good Luck and congrats on your loss! It's awesome!

Brandee ~
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:42

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was also thinking about raising mine, but that may be because I'm stuck and would be easier if I didn't have as much to loose?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:45

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I decided to go for smaller goals...179 is the first of those. Once I hit 179 I will reassess.

Originally my goal was 149.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:49

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Even though my dream weight is 120, I was really pretty happy at 125 and all of my clothes fit well etc, so I raised mine to 125.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 17:45

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
When I compared it to my last current photo - a 20 lb. difference - the improvement was amazing. I'm thinking that another 20 lbs. might be just enough and 30 would be too much, based on the differences in the two photos. (But when I look in the mirror my belly and my thighs look more like at least 30 more lbs.!!!) So I'm thinking about raising my goal.
First, the fact that those two photos are only 20 pounds difference really gets my hopes up that 140 is a good goal for me and that 20 pounds from now I will be happy with the way I look and feel.

Secondly, what is your wrist size (right where your wrist meets your hand)? That will help determine the size of your frame, which in turn is a guideline to help you figure out a reasonable goal weight.

Thirdly, I am so with you on the belly and thighs thing, especially the thighs. Ugh. In fact, at 20 pounds from my goal, my exact thought when looking at my abdomen and thighs is, "That's GOTTA be 30 pounds of fat." Let's hope we're both wrong.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 00:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

I upped my goal weight from 140 to 145 but at 150 i will see how i feel.
I am 5'10 but i have a VERY small frame. on those scale where you measure you wrist at my hieght a wrist size of 5 3/4inches was considered small. my wrist was barly 5 inchs. so we will see maybe i will be happy at 150 maybe i will still feel fat at 145 and try for 135 who knows right now i am taking it a pound at a time.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 00:12

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Since goal weight is just a number and a target to aim for, I don't think it should be a problem to raise or lower the number. The real issue is how comfortable are you with how you look? I thought I would aim for a lower number, but I'm very comfortable where I am and have been maintaining it easily for over a year now. I can tell you for certain that I have no interest in heading for a number that it would be difficult to maintain.

Give yourself a break and don't worry about the number. Just go where it feels good and healthy to be.

Marlaine