Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 15:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%
Talking Getting real tired of all that crap

LMAO everytime a new products come out and results where tested on rats, or another type of animanl.

Publicity is the worst crap that was every invented, and to sell a damn product they will tell you so many things.

I guess its time for a proper introduction of myself, my name is Yannick and i am a ginnea pig, yeah damn right.

Ever since i was 16 years old and started training a public gym i have been screwed so many times in beleving into false clams.

I have tried it all, weight gainers, protein powders name it i have tried it, amino acid pills, liver caps, carbo powders, protein bars, creatine, glutamine, andro, ephedrine fat burners.......

The real thruth is genetics, there are 2 sure things in life, the day you where born and the day you will die, whats in between is yours to decide.

No one knows what causes cancer, and a lot of other illness out there.

What triggered this post is that i went to a lower back pain expert, and that guy gave me 4 treatments then sat me down in is office and told me, here at the .... clinic we are prepared to help you but you gotta want to help you , your lower back muscles are always in spasm and you need them to relax, he gave me some powder to take for 3 months to unstress my body, Yo moron been there done that i went on the internet and check the website for thoses products, is stuff is legit but cost 400$ for 2 months not even 3, i went at loblaws and search the internet i got the same damn thing for less then 100$ called greens + and it is tested in university here in Canada.

This is the last ride i will ever be taken on beleive me that and when i left is office that ***** charged me 70$ for the nutrition information he add given me, he gave me a sheet to fill in all i ate and told me to come back the week after, now only to tell me what i wasnt eating right, i left and never went back to him.

For the diet now low carb is hot, and in 10 years its gonna be something else, for me low carb works wonders, but i know many people that low carb did nothing for them, very credible people that stayed on the diet for 3 months and have lost only 2-4 pounds.

What i am trying to say is that a diet is personal to the individual that does it, we are all different, i dont care about advertisement anymore, and i laught so hard when i get the infomercials on tv.

The only thing that i bought on thoses and dont regret are the tae bo tapes by M, Billy Blanks, they work and you will sweat the rest is total crap.

Too much protein will make you fat, creatine will make you retain water and you will look puffed up, glutamine works but you gotta be rich and take a tone of it, andro doest work at all, and ephedrine fat burners work very well but the side effects for me at 32 are unbareble. Just cant stand the effect anymore.

To each is own, sadly i know this great women that died at 46, she always ate right, never smoked, was always smilling, always add a great joke to tell, never drank and she died last year at 46 of cancer.

My grand mother eats sugar, patatoes, meat, cakes, and she eats for 2, she is 82 years old, she walks to the bank that is 20 minutes from here house, she cleans here house each day and even more.................

That it all

Last edited by tofi : Tue, Jul-06-04 at 16:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/115/? Female 63
BF:
Progress: 67%

hi yannick,
I'm with ya,
my granny worked till she was 80, lives on her own, walks everywhere, cleans her own place etc.
Her diet- cabbage rolls, perogies, mashed potatoes, the list goes on!

She never ate processed foods or fast foods. Who knows. Low carb works for me too, but you're right everyone is different.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 19:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

The best person I know for any kinds of joint and muscle pain is Pete Egoscue, he wrote the book "The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion" it cured my bad knee and many people's back pain with some simple exercises. It's a wonderful system.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...8004212-3215315
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 20:09

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
The real thruth is genetics, there are 2 sure things in life, the day you where born and the day you will die, whats in between is yours to decide.

No one knows what causes cancer, and a lot of other illness out there.

Maybe you don't know, but the truth is out there--you just have to know where to look for it.

Genetics plays a role, but the only thing that is certain in life is the day you are born and that you'll die some day. But you definitely have control over when that day will be.

Quote:
For the diet now low carb is hot, and in 10 years its gonna be something else, for me low carb works wonders, but i know many people that low carb did nothing for them, very credible people that stayed on the diet for 3 months and have lost only 2-4 pounds.

Are you talking about for health or for weight loss? There are different ways of accomplishing weight loss and others will certainly come up with new plans. However, with regard to health, you will find that low carb as the proper way to eat, especially the elimination of sugar and grains, will be more and more reinforced as time goes on. The naysayers will continue to battle it, but no new "fad" will replace it for optimum health.

Quote:
To each is own, sadly i know this great women that died at 46, she always ate right, never smoked, was always smilling, always add a great joke to tell, never drank and she died last year at 46 of cancer.

What do you mean by "always ate right?" I've also known people who "always ate right" and exercised regularly, told jokes, laughed, smiled, and dropped dead young. It's not a crap shoot. It's not random acts of hatred by God. There's a reason for it all. When you know the truth, it's not hard to figure out.

The book, Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival by T.S. Wiley is a very interesting and enjoyable read which will help to enlighten you to some of the reasons. You'll start to see some of the pieces of the puzzle fall into place. This is not my bible--I don't know the author personally--I'm not profiting from the book. It's a neat starting point, and I think it will give you a much more optimistic outlook on life.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 08:37

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

My mother is 79 years old, has almost all her own original teeth, does her own yard and house work but has almost lost her mind. Sure she ate unprocessed food for perhaps 2/3 of her lifetime and that is what has brought her this far. Within the last 20 years she has been sliding into carbohydrate hell. She eats nothing but carbs now and is deteriorating rapidly. She's skinny, aggressive and nasty. So what does all this mean? Perhaps if she had continued eating unprocessed even though it contained perogies, cabbage rolls, beet soup, etc. would she be losing her mind now and would she be a more pleasant person? We'll never know for sure. But I don't care anymore. Trying to convince people what is good for them is a waste of time I've discovered. Let them find out for themselves is my attitude now, unless they show a genuine attitude to try and improve their situation.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 09:01

Plan: 60 grams or less a day
Stats: 178/148/135
BF:
Progress: 70%

It's true, there is way too much garbage out there, but sadly it's a fact of our society - it's freedom. The main thing is you learned now not to listen to the false claims and hype and will be the better for it. Just roll your eyes at those idiots and feel good about yourself! It cost me some to learn, too and I think that story is more the norm than the exception. They play on our insecurities and problems. I think it's nasty.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 16:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

TwilightZ, you make some good points but other arent so great sorry.

In 1998 when i got my first job has a computer techicien i met this guy, we where both 25 years old, i add a very clean diet at that time, rice, chicken and all the low fat stuff, that was before i found low carb.

The other guy always ate crap, now i have to spell it out for you so i will, twinkies, donuts, chocolate bars, and other hamburger french fries.

We trained togheter for a while and that guy add a body like Rambo, know who he is, and he wasnt on steroids, he was cut up has hell.

I on the other hand always retained water, and never got to where this guys muscular definition was at.

You cannot control genetics they are what you are, i have so many exemple but i just dont wanna waste time listing them all so that one will do.

The women was eating clean i guess i gotta spell that one out to so here it goes, she ates fish 3 times a week, always low saturated fat foods, and all low glycemic, she took here vitamins, she was an active women and on top of all, since stress and emotion can play a part in cancer, she was a very nice calm women.

Does that cover everything, i sure hope so
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 19:47

BF:

Realdeal,

I agree with you that genetics is a factor, and certainly you can't control your genetics, but I believe you have tremendous control over your health via diet. Regarding your friend who looked like Rambo at 25, yes he definitely has genetics on his side. At 25 a lousy diet isn't going to manifest itself much--it takes time before that catches up to you. On the other hand, you were eating rice and lowfat stuff--that's not a clean diet, either. If you were truly eating clean, who knows if you would have been able to achieve what he did.

As far as the woman, low saturated fats is traditionally what mainstream doctors believe is good. Dr. Atkins didn't and most low-carbers don't see it that way. If she wasn't using saturated fat for cooking, who knows what she was using. Granted she ate fish 3 times a week. Most fish has incredibly high amounts of mercury. That could have been a contributor. There are lots of other factors that are not obvious that can contribute to cancer. There are things about this woman you may not have known.

With the industrial revolution, the advent of pollution, electric lighting, processed foods, pesticides, chemicals, etc., people's health has suffered. Each successive generation inherits damaged or altered genetics brought about by these substances. Your grandmother's genetics are certainly more hardy than someone two generations removed, so it is likely that although she eats foods that aren't the best, her body can resist damage better. And certainly in her formative years, she ate less crap than young people today. I'm curious--does she take any medication?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
Your grandmother's genetics are certainly more hardy than someone two generations removed, so it is likely that although she eats foods that aren't the best, her body can resist damage better.

Yeah, this isn't true. Agree with the rest of it, though.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 21:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
Yeah, this isn't true. Agree with the rest of it, though.

Weston A. Price found that poor eating resulted in offspring with constricted faces and other shortcomings. Why wouldn't it make sense that the ability to resist cancer (or let's say a person's immune system) wouldn't be affected as well, or any other area of development for that matter? When the offspring continue to eat even more garbage than the previous generation and then have children themselves, the same thing occurs to a larger degree. Why would you dispute this?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
Weston A. Price found that poor eating resulted in offspring with constricted faces and other shortcomings. Why wouldn't it make sense that the ability to resist cancer (or let's say a person's immune system) wouldn't be affected as well, or any other area of development for that matter? When the offspring continue to eat even more garbage than the previous generation and then have children themselves, the same thing occurs to a larger degree. Why would you dispute this?

I don't dispute anything you've written here. But what you're talking about is nutritional and immunological, not genetic.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 14:55

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Environmental toxins can damage DNA. The older a mother is when she conceives increases the risks to certain birth defects. It is thought that this occurs because the more time that passes, the more time the environment can influence genetics. Damaged copies are put back into the shuffle at fertilization. From then on, another damaged copy has entered the gene pool. It makes sense to me that the further we progress in time, the more defective copies can enter the gene pool, especially with all the toxins ands pollutants these days.

Depending on which of the two copies are expressed (dominant), the results of which may be observed. Say that the mutagenic substance damaged the gametes P53 or retinoblastoma gene. Mom or dad passes it to baby. Say only one good copy existed and the other is defective (moms or dads is bad). If the baby is exposed to carcinogens, you may wipe out the good copy and develop cancer. If you had two good copies of the gene, the other would take over, but in the prior case, one would develop cancer.

Most of us do not have the money to have our DNA mapped. There are also ethical problems with this as well. So we just avoid these things which we know to cause cancer. Or you can just not bother and go on with your live and take it as it comes. To each their own.

Last edited by Bandito : Thu, Jul-22-04 at 10:02.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 15:23

BF:
Default Sorry, lost my train of thought

Furthermore, when this fictitious child grows up and has children of its own, there is a chance of further spreading of defective genes. When they have a child the bad/damaged gene gets passed on or lost in the shuffle. It is a 50% chance. And if we keep polluting ourselves, then the potential for more defective copies transfers into the gene pool rises even more. I think I can see where twilliteZ is getting at. I think..... This has me pondering the consequences.... Wow, I never thought of this. I will have to ask what my molecular biology/genetics professor about this in the fall.

Last edited by Bandito : Thu, Jul-22-04 at 10:00.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 20:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
Furthermore, when this ficticious child grows up and has children of its own, there is a chance of further spreading of defective genes. When they have a child the bad/damaged gene gets passed on or lost in the shuffle. It is a 50% chance. And if we keep polluting ourselves, then the potential for more defective copies transferrs into the gene pool rises even more. I think I can see where twilliteZ is getting at. I think..... This has me pondering the consequences.... Wow, I never thought of this. I will have to ask what my molecular biology/genetics proffessor about this in the fall.

A+ for subject matter. Spelling, on the other hand...

Thank you for your posts. This is what I was getting at.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 23:59

BF:

Yeah, I really need to hit spell check. Re-reading, I found lots of errors.