Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:48
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Mercury Fillings - Dangerous or Inert

http://emporium.turnpike.net/P/PDHA/mercury/truth.htm

I have a mouth-full of mercury amalgam.

Who do I believe in the above link?

I have read that mercury released into the body in the form of mercury vapor, can worsen Candida and in turn hinder weight loss.

The experiment to detect mercury seems pretty conclusive that it is indeed released as vapour.

Has anyone had problems with their mercury fillings stalling their weight loss due to Candida problems?

Tom.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 176/122/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%/16%/17%
Progress: 106%

Interesting... I'll have to give it a closer look when i get the chance.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Mercury was also used as a preservative in vaccines (and still is, despite a general phase-out).

http://www.ksat.com/health/3302168/detail.html
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 19:28

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Well, I am a dentist. I stopped using amalgam years ago, but I can tell you that one of the problems is insurance. Insurance runs the health care industry. Insurance companies not only continue to pay for amalgams, but in many cases will not pay for composites or gold or porcelain inlays. Many patients don't care about toxins--they just don't want to have to shell out any money.

Yes, I believe amalgam fillings cause mercury toxicity. I didn't realize (or maybe forgot) that it can worsen Candida, and now you've got me thinking because although I gave up grains and sugar completely in January, I still have fungal issues. I am losing weight about 1.5 lbs a week, so it doesn't seem to be stalling me, but I wonder if it would be faster without the amalgams.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 11:41
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Report: No link between autism, vaccines

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 Posted: 1:00 PM EDT (1700 GMT)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/05/1...m.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- There is no evidence that a controversial mercury-based vaccine preservative causes autism, concludes an eagerly anticipated scientific review that says it's time to lay vaccine suspicions to rest and find the real culprit.

Tuesday's conclusion by the prestigious Institute of Medicine pointed to five large studies, here and abroad, that tracked thousands of children since 2001 and found no association between autism and vaccines containing the preservative thimerosal.

Many parents of autistic children blame vaccination for the brain disorder.

But the panel of prominent scientists said that while high doses of mercury can cause neurological damage, there's no evidence that this type of damage causes the symptoms specific to autism -- and no laboratory or animal research that proves how the much smaller amounts of mercury in thimerosal could do so either, the IOM concluded.

On the other hand, genetics plays a role in autism, and several studies show clear signs of prenatal onset of the disorder, including brain differences at birth, the report notes.

"Don't misunderstand: The committee members are fully aware that this is a very horrible and devastating condition," said Dr. Marie McCormick, a Harvard professor of maternal and child health who led the IOM probe. "It's important to get to the root of what's happening."

But, "there seem to be lots of opportunities for research that would be more productive" than continuing the vaccine hunt.

Autism is a complex developmental disorder best known for impairing a child's ability to communicate and interact with others. Recent data suggest a tenfold increase in autism rates over the last decade, although it's not clear how much of the apparent surge reflects better diagnosis and how much is a true rise.

Thimerosal has been used as a preservative in some vaccines and other medicines since the 1930s. Although the amount of mercury it contains is very small, vaccine makers began phasing out thimerosal in 1999 as a precaution urged by public health officials. It now has been virtually eliminated in routine childhood vaccines.

Vaccine critics didn't immediately comment on the report.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 15:56

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

And that report is full of BULL. My son has Autism. And I'm telling you that on his last round of vaccinations, he was fine when we got there, but right after the last round..he was hyper, aggressive, mean, out of control for a week. I fully believe Autism CAN cause some cases of Autism, but there can be other causes too. The manufacturers are great about covering stuff up.

They have, however, stopped using mercury based vaccines now, but unfortunately my son had his shots in 1995-1997 when they were still using them.

Ever hear the old saying "Mad As A Hatter?" That saying comes from the old times when hate makers used mercury in making their hats. The hat makers would soon seem very looney, hense, the saying. It was due to mercury poisoning.

The problem is that these days the fish in the sea almost all of them have some mercury they ingested. You add that to the mercury from the vaccines and you've got possible problems because mercury doesn't go out of the system on it's own.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 16:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 125/106/100 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have read mixed report on the harm of mercury fillings. You have to realize that scientific studies are not 100%, and I agree for most times profit rules everything. If a product makes great money for a company or that people have been accustomed to it, unless there are OVERWHELMING evidence that the product is harmful to people, there will be no hault in its production. You will have to decide for yourself, just like many of us here decided to LC despite harsh criticism from some researchers.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 16:17
Registered Member

Stats: 270/185/145 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Progress: 68%

check out:
http://www.drhuggins.com/default.as...ins%20Biography

When you consider that Hazmat teams are sent out when a mercury thermometer is broken it seems crazy that mercury is in our fillings and vaccines. I never realized until someone gave me "It's All in Your Head" by Dr. Huggins to read. Pretty scary.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 17:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 125/106/100 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 76%

I think the theory behind amalgam is that mercury are combined with other metal and will not leech out into the saliva (like lead in crystals and pewters). However, everything have some solubility (ppb or less, this is also the reason people thought tomato was poisonous back when they use pewter cookwares), and it come down to weather or not we receive significant amount of mercury from amalgam comparing to what we receive for being at the top of the food chain. In addition, different form of mercury have different toxicity level. Elemental mercury is alot less toxic than organic mercury such as methyl mercury (A professor at Dartmoth was exposed to one drop of methyl mercury because it seep through her latex glove, and died of complications a month later).
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 18:10

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have lots of this stuff in my mouth. It has not stalled me, nor do I have any yeast problems. A OK over here. Knocking on wood......
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 05:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
I have lots of this stuff in my mouth. It has not stalled me, nor do I have any yeast problems. A OK over here. Knocking on wood......

No yeast, count yourself lucky. Some of us fight the danged stuff tooth and nail. Women especially.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 06:10
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Mercury Poisoning

Hey folks,

I got a booklet today about Mercury poisoning. A lady my wife works with had 17 amalgam fillings removed and judging from the book, here story is not that uncommon. She was diagnosed after the procedure with mercury posioning. We're not talking about vapour and trace amounts here - she was unable to go to work; the symptoms were severe.

Special care needs to be taken to remove these;rubber dams, lots of water and LOTS of suction. My denstist has warned me that 12-15 years is usually tops for amalgam fillings. Mine were put in in 1979!

I hope that my dentist takes care - I'm sure to get the facts before having them done.

Tom.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 13:24

Plan: CAD
Stats: 220/218/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:?
Progress: 2%
Post On the autism topic.

My niece and nephew (twins) are 4 yrs. old and both suffer from mild autism. My SIL (thier mother) and MIL jumped all over the vaccination bandwagon as the reason they were born this way. Those kids have gone through some unbelieveable bouts of taking all kinds of weird supplements and potions to battle the "vaccines" that are poisoning their systems. If I sound like I'm a disbeliever of the vaccine theory, I'm really undecided on what to think about it, especially with the new reports comming out. However, It's always been in the back of my mind that she did not have a "natural" pregnancy. They went through infertility treatments and in-vetro for 8 yrs. before becoming pregnant. The reports I've been reading, about no causial relationship between vaccines and the rising amount of autism in the last decade have me thinking. Hmm, havn't infertility treatments (and the drugs used for them) been pretty much mainstream for the last decade? Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm surprised I never see that brought up as a possible connection to the rising rates of autism. I'd be interested to know the number of these children in the last decade born with autism that were born with the help of infertility/in-vetro treatments vs. "natural" pregnancies. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Love,
Ali
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 19:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicat
My niece and nephew (twins) are 4 yrs. old and both suffer from mild autism. My SIL (thier mother) and MIL jumped all over the vaccination bandwagon as the reason they were born this way. Those kids have gone through some unbelieveable bouts of taking all kinds of weird supplements and potions to battle the "vaccines" that are poisoning their systems. If I sound like I'm a disbeliever of the vaccine theory, I'm really undecided on what to think about it, especially with the new reports comming out. However, It's always been in the back of my mind that she did not have a "natural" pregnancy. They went through infertility treatments and in-vetro for 8 yrs. before becoming pregnant. The reports I've been reading, about no causial relationship between vaccines and the rising amount of autism in the last decade have me thinking. Hmm, havn't infertility treatments (and the drugs used for them) been pretty much mainstream for the last decade? Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm surprised I never see that brought up as a possible connection to the rising rates of autism. I'd be interested to know the number of these children in the last decade born with autism that were born with the help of infertility/in-vetro treatments vs. "natural" pregnancies. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Love,
Ali

Personally, I think it varies from child to child. Some cases might be caused by the vaccinations while others could be caused genetics, leaky gut syndrom,chemicals used by the pregnant mother, damage sperm from the father due to drug/alchol abuse, and numerous other things. As for me, I saw how a calm child turned extremely combatant within half an hour of his last injection, which tells me some of the vaccination roumors are true.

With autism up by 50% in the past five years, there's definitely something causing this epidemic. There are 10 children in my son's school with autism.

Children with autism are normally found with high levels of metals or poisionous chemicals in their blood stream. One of course being mercury the other that I know of is arsenic. I know there are others, but can't remember them by now. Our whole world is filled with chemicals. Mercury in the fish we eat to the aresnic used in treated lumber that's on the playground structures our children play on. And yes,if you touch the treated lumber and like all children put hands into mouths, you can absorb it.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 12:19

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Worse problems

My understanding is that the VIAL of vaccine is used several times for different children, and that it is possible for one child to get more of the mercury than another depending on when the individual dose was withdrawn from the vial (sure, they always shake them enough... like I always shake the paint cans...). And that has been proposed as one of the causes.

I think there are a lot of things. Around here, they think it's the flicker of TV screens that can destabilize brains--or is that for dyslexia? What about all the phthalate pollution?

trouble is, we've messed with the food supply so much that it's pretty close to impossible to target one variable.

And re assisted fertilization--O magazine had a VERY scary article about the increased risk of ovarian cancer for women who have taken some of the more common fertility drugs. Didn't realize Gilda Radner was trying to have a baby, but she was identified as one person who had the connection. Forget the month, but it wasn't long ago.

I have a mouthful of mercury and I'm leaving it be until it needs to be replaced, but I'll probably spring for something cleaner when they do, if I don't have to get those teeth crowned anyway. Sleeping dogs theory. (However, I also take a handful of liver support supplements...)