Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-10, 03:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:
Default alternate day fasting for 50+ women

Discovered a blog with a women around 50 years old who's writing about how alternate day fasting is helping her weight loss journey:

http://winningtheobesitybattle.word...-and-your-mind/

http://winningtheobesitybattle.wordpress.com/

A lot of things she writes about really resonate for me. I started alternate day fasting about a month ago and also doing a lot of research on it, which is how I found the blog. It's the only thing that's helped me lose weight in a long time and I'm also finding it very healing.

When I was in my 30s it was hard for me not to eat for a day, now it seems almost natural (though some days are easier than others). I have a hunch that it might be good "medicine" for menopausal women who want to lose weight. A lot of interesting suggestions on her blog.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-10, 16:40
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

I've decided to try this and so far I'm comfortable with it. Since I already eat a pretty clean (within the bounds of not being able to buy range-fed food) program, I am not experiencing the "bad" feelings that she described for her eating days (because I don't just eat anything I want! I already KNOW how they will make me feel. Not me, no way, no how!)

I actually had to make myself eat yesterday morning because I was totally not hungry! This is my second ADF day and I feel great! Oh, and since starting, I've lost 2.8 lbs in 3 days. Tomorrow morning will tell.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-10, 00:15

BF:
Progress:

I'm also eating clean/LC on eating days and I know what you mean, don't have any problems feeling bad on the eating days. And I'm finding I usually eat smaller portions on the eating days.

Every couple of up/down cycles I do want to "feast" a bit, seems my body wants to get in some more calories. I'm also more intent on getting lots of good quality fats in my diet and not overdoing it on protein.

When I get twinges of hunger on the fasting days, I just sort of ride the wave and it goes pretty quickly.

One thing I'm paying attention to is making sure I'm getting enough vitamins/minerals from veggies. For me it's vitamin C, minerals/iron, carotene. So I eat kale and other greens, yellow/orange/red veggies (squash this time of year). Even if I eat good-quality fats and protein, I feel mentally sluggish and depressed if I don't get the veggies in. I also make infusions of dried nettle, dandelion, and other mineral-rich herbs for tea on both fasting and eating days.

There's also a spiritual aspect to the fasting, I'm making some other positive changes in my life. Sort of get into a reflective space when fasting and able to see things more clealry.

Keep checking in on your progress and how you're doing! Glad to know you're trying this way.

I also found some good posts on fasting benefits on marksdailyapple.com, for example:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/feast-or-famine-diet/

Last edited by SylvieK : Sun, Nov-07-10 at 00:30.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-10, 05:15
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
I'm also eating clean/LC on eating days and I know what you mean, don't have any problems feeling bad on the eating days. And I'm finding I usually eat smaller portions on the eating days.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/feast-or-famine-diet/

Yes, the smaller portions seem to come naturally with this WOE.

I shared that link with folks on another forum (not food-related) since they're doing a mini-challenge; fat quarters from all the losers to the winner for the month. I'm getting a lot of flak for being both LC and ADF. It seems the folks think fasting is either for medical tests or religious reasons; although I agree there IS a spiritual aspect!

As for the veges, yes! It is real easy to enjoy a huge variety on this WOE and still lose weight.

I just wish I wasn't allergic to avocado!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-10, 11:35

BF:
Progress:

recent blog post on fasting, link from marksdailyapple.com:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/to...s-debunked.html

I have a hunch -- still doing research, so don't fully get what science is behind it -- that this may work well for people who are very overweight and/or overweight menopausal women who find it difficult to lose weight compared to when they were younger.

I know that when I was in my 30s and worked two jobs, I often skipped meals or just ate dinner at night after work. Recall feeling scattered and not great. I sometimes fasted for a day to try to make up for overeating on other days and didn't find it helped me lose weight or increase my energy.

It feels very different now to fast every other day and much more "natural." There's evidence that ADF works for lots of people, I just wonder if it may work especially well for menopausal women. That's why I was so interested in the Mardy Roux blog, because she suggests it works for menopausal women or those with a lot of weight to lose.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-11, 08:37

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I did this (without knowing what it was called, lol) for the first eight months of my weightloss (lowcarb). That was in 2002 and I hit my goal in 21 months. I've maintained ever since.

I find I cannot do it now I feel quite sick and weak, and just overall 'about the hit the deck'. I'm through meno and out the other side (I went early, thanks to Hashimoto's hypothyroidism).

I feel it may have a lot to do with a. I don't have any weight to 'lose' and not a lot of fat stores and b. I lift weight three times a week.

I still eat lowcarb (a bit more veggies on lifting days) but I have to say in my years of watching others lose on lowcarb...those who have done IF or JUDDD type fasting...evey other day type...have done very well in the maintenance department too...so if this works for you....it's going to be well worth it when you hit your goal.

Pam
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: Martini's & Whipped Cream
Stats: 317/231/157 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Some are also doing IF, intermittent fasting. This is where you fast for 20 hours and eat within a 4 hour window. Most chose to start eating at 2 pm and stop at 6pm. You start the diet by delaying breakfast each morning 1 hour until you get to 2pm. Those who are still low carbing during the eating period, eat much more fat. Some add coconut oil to their coffee for a boost in the morning, even though this is getting calories in, and not technically a fast.

It's all interesting and I considered it myself, but I prefer to eat my meals with my family and would only consider it if I were alone.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 12:27

BF:

I do IF NOW in my maintaining. But I do it for 19/5 and if something special is going on, I can push it to 22/2 or whatever it takes. LOL My asthma is much better doing this, and so are my IgE inhalant allergies. My fat came UP to 75% and my protein came down a little and that was a good thing for me, cuz at MY weight if the protein is a little 'too much for ME, personally' I tend to see it go to glucose making.

EasiER for me cuz it's just me and DH now...and he works second shift, so my 'window' gets opened anywhere from 3 to 6, depending on what I'm making (and then I stay up to reheat/fix HIS meal when he comes home).

BTW...I had NO problem still losing at a very steady clip (no stalls!) with putting a teaspoon of cream in each of my two cups of coffee in the morning. I didn't consider it 'breaking the fast' at all (and I've read quite a bit more now about anything under 100 calories and under 2 grams carb...your body doesn't 'see it' as 'breaking the fast'. all I know is it didn't slow me down at all. I hit goal in less than 22 months start to finish and have maintained doing this for eight years (give or take couple of pounds).
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 13:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

This is a most fascinating thread to me and I am really enjoying reading all of your thoughts.

SylvieK,

Thank you for posting that link. I have read every word up until late 2010. Am I missing a link or is that the last time she posted? I would love to know what happened since!

katoman,

I am trying this also. Today is day 3 (a fasting day)

I really like it so far.

Neanderpam,

Wow you have done an incredible job. Congrats on the weight loss.

m.mouse,

It is more when you have family to care for. I just now have an empty nest which makes me a little sad at times but maybe this is an upside eh?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-11, 15:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

Interesting link about how different types of fasts seem to affect the body:

The conclusion, say the authors of the more recent meal-skipping study, is that skipping meals as part of a controlled eating plan that results in lower calorie intake can result in better health. However, skipping meals during the day and then overeating at the evening meal results in harmful metabolic changes in the body.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...skipping-meals/
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-11, 10:54

BF:

I'm 5' 1", 56, lung disabled (as well as autoimmune). Lower calories don't explain how or why I can eat upwards of 1800 to 2000 calories in my maintenance on lowcarb, but can't go over 1500 on lowfat and maintain though.

I don't know if you'd consider me 'overeating' at night (I eat between 3 and 8pm, but usually don't have 'two full meals'...my first meal I eat probably upward of 1500 cals, and the second 'meal' is my piece of cheesecake. There's almost 2000 cals right there. I'm usually ending up with: 75% fat, 10% carbs and 15% protein lately.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 20:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I do both LC and intermittent fasting. Actually I eat one or two meals between the hours of 3:00 and 7:00 P.M. It is imperative that I stay low carb simply because my goal is, not only does it lower my glucose levels but it also helps to stabilize my blood glucose. I also take vitamin D and magnesium. I soon will be inlcluding COQ10 and zinc once I figure out which brand, form etc that will do me the most good. I feel that the older we get, the more beneficial some form of fasting is for health and well-being.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 20:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
I'm 5' 1", 56, lung disabled (as well as autoimmune). Lower calories don't explain how or why I can eat upwards of 1800 to 2000 calories in my maintenance on lowcarb, but can't go over 1500 on lowfat and maintain though.

I don't know if you'd consider me 'overeating' at night (I eat between 3 and 8pm, but usually don't have 'two full meals'...my first meal I eat probably upward of 1500 cals, and the second 'meal' is my piece of cheesecake. There's almost 2000 cals right there. I'm usually ending up with: 75% fat, 10% carbs and 15% protein lately.

Fasting should not have anything to do with calorie counting. Eat enough to maintain your energy for the NEXT day period. Fasting is a primal thang. Tradional diets included fasting out of necessity. There is no way in heck that earlier cultires could have eaten 3xs a day with in-between-snacks. They had to work for their food through hunting and gathering which generally took place during various stages of hunger. THey had no McDonalds, refrigerators, microwave ovens. The "ovens" that they had took as long as an hour to light once and even longer to heat. THey did not go to the grocery store to get that hunk of vennison. Moogie overate at night because he would not be able to eat the next day...sounds good to me.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 22:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Fasting should not have anything to do with calorie counting. Eat enough to maintain your energy for the NEXT day period. Fasting is a primal thang. Tradional diets included fasting out of necessity. There is no way in heck that earlier cultires could have eaten 3xs a day with in-between-snacks. They had to work for their food through hunting and gathering which generally took place during various stages of hunger. THey had no McDonalds, refrigerators, microwave ovens. The "ovens" that they had took as long as an hour to light once and even longer to heat. THey did not go to the grocery store to get that hunk of vennison. Moogie overate at night because he would not be able to eat the next day...sounds good to me.

Are you saying to 'not pay any attention' to what I eat and macros? (I have to keep a food log for my medical needs..otherwise I probably wouldn't know 'exact' macros, lol).

Moogie was lucky...didn't have to stagger his food to his meds, lol.

Pam
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 19:04

BF:

OMG, I let this thread get away from me. I just happened upon this and realized I had made some comments. Pam, keep your food log but don't worry so much aboiut how much you eat, afterall you are embarkind on a fasting period so prepare for that. That's what "Moogie" did. He had no idea what macronutrients or calories were. He knew, however, that he may not eat for days...maybe even weeks so he ate as much as she could in preperation of the leaner days. She also realized that fat and protein provided the energy she needed to last over the time of her fasting period. What mattered was how her tummy would feel like tomorrow and the day afterward. That's the mindset you want to adopt.

Now, that being said, I need to kick up my fasting to lose a little more weight. But, IF has made it easy for me to maintain my present weight and even lose a little when I am stricter with fasting.