Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-09, 06:05

Plan: L. Carb, L. fat, Hi. prot
Stats: 209/160.8/154 Female 65.5 inches
BF:38%/33.9%/?%
Progress: 88%
Default mind boggled by facts

I'm completely overwhelmed with information on this site. It's fascinating but it's confusing. I will read something and think, that's what I'll do, then I'll read something else and chnange my mind.

There seem to be some people who think the ratio of fat/carb/protein is what matters. This is complicated to work out but I suppose I could manage it. Then there are others who want to keep carbs down to, well, anything between 15g and 60g per day and not worry about the rest.

My own experience has taught me that too much fat (or it could be too many calories) can be eaten and my own inclination is to eat 30g carbs, not worry about the amount of protein but keep the fats below about 90g.

Does anyone have any views on this?

Sue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 04:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/145.5/140 Male 66 in
BF:11
Progress: 87%

Dr. Atkins found that you can lose weight via calories or via chemistry. The Atkins plan is chemistry (Ketosis) based. Individuals vary in the critical carbohydrate level (the bar they need to be under to burn fat and lose weight) and we have to establish that for ourselves. My own level is low. Other side benefits of Atkins for me have been 50 pt reduction in LDL and 0.6 reduction in a1c levels. (all other controls being equal)

People are impatient. They want to lose it all now. Neither calorie restriction nor ketosis can compete with liposuction on that score, but both are better alternatives I think in the long run. Atkins works pretty quickly though, and you don't need to feel hungry to do it. Your 30g of carbs is on the high side for me in ongoing weight loss. I stay around 25 avg. 35 will be my maintenance level.

Hope you continue to lose!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

If you want to do Atkins, buy a '72 Atkins book and READ it! While this site is wonderful - that's what happens - you read how this person tweaks the program and how that person does, and for me anyway, I started trying to do a little bit Atkins, at little bit South Beach, etc. That wasn't working. So I decided to get serious and read the book! Best thing I ever did. Helped me understand, and made me committed to this one approach. After I reach my goal and maintain for awhile, I may tweak a little, but will journal and watch results carefully. I don't want to gain the same pounds right back.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-10, 14:45

Plan: Low-carb/High-Fat
Stats: 345/335/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Gary Taubes, Good Calories, Bad Calories

"Mind boggling" is the exact phrase for the tsunami-like availability of information. I would like to share something good, though, as I have been a long-time fan of Dr Andrew Weil (okay, mainly from watching tv) whose website (drweil.com) recommended "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.

The book is not a diet book at all, but tells the history of the science studying obesity came to be. It is NOT a linear progression, but appears to have changed direction, for the worse, beginning in the 1950s.

There are several conclusions he makes which, to me, are mind blowing, including:

1) A calorie is NOT a calorie. The body treats different kinds of calories in diferent ways. I had always assumed at eating 3500 cals meant a pound of weight... and that my only remedy was to burn off as much as possible to counter the effects. In great detail, Taubes explains how although many quality studies have proven (yes, proven) this, the vast majority of the nutritional academia still holds on the idea that "a calorie is a calorie".

2) Eating fat does NOT make you fat; rather it is carbohydrates which drives up insulin which makes you fat (thus the removal of carbs reduces insulin which inhibits fat production). The best example of people who eat high-fat/low-carbs are the French (hence the French Paradox). As I understand Taubes' book, it really no longer becomes paradoxical at all, as fat is not the culprit; rather, it is carbs and sugar (something which us Americans eat more than ever).

3) Aerobic exercise, has NO influence on losing weight (I always wondered why I never lost anything when I used to do 45 min on the treadmill consistently). If you watch Biggest Loser, you see them exercise AND lose weight; however, they are also on a semi-starvation diet and that is the real source of their weight loss. Although a calorie is NOT a calorie, when virtually NO calories are taken in, that also means that virtually no CARBS are taken in (hence the weight loss). Unfortunately, with all semi-starvation diets, once you go back to a "normal" diet, your weight will explode upwards, even without any cheating, as that is how the body reacts (so a contestant could gain 25 pounds in just a few days, even when eating properly and exercising).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzien
I'm completely overwhelmed with information on this site. It's fascinating but it's confusing. I will read something and think, that's what I'll do, then I'll read something else and chnange my mind.

There seem to be some people who think the ratio of fat/carb/protein is what matters. This is complicated to work out but I suppose I could manage it. Then there are others who want to keep carbs down to, well, anything between 15g and 60g per day and not worry about the rest.

My own experience has taught me that too much fat (or it could be too many calories) can be eaten and my own inclination is to eat 30g carbs, not worry about the amount of protein but keep the fats below about 90g.

Sue
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-10, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 306/294/185 Female 5"6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Mark, you are burning energy, thus burning calories when you exercise. Move more, eat less, lose weight.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-10, 20:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Like trying to fill a teacup from a firehose?

I think if you've got something that works, don't change it. Otherwise, try something new, if it doesn't work, try something else. Trial and error!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-10, 03:48

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I agree with Mark. I'm almost finished reading Gary Taube's book and it blew my mind. A calorie is not just a calorie. Semi-starving your body from what it is used to consuming, and exercising more does not work for most people, and only temporarily for others who put the weight back on after they resume a normal recommended amount of food.

The body is very adaptive - if you starve it, it will expend as little as energy as possible. If you force it to move, it will burn your muscles and organs as an emergency measure rather than touch those precious fat stores.

So basically, I disagree with locarbburn. I did not get to my highest weight because I was lazy/moved less and overate.

But on topic, I totally understand what you mean Suzien. I think the best way to go forward is to read all the books available, and stick to one. If your weight loss is slow after a couple of months and you're following all the rules, then I would start tweaking one thing at a time to see what works for you.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-10, 19:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I know it's confusing, but that's because everyone has little quirks of their own!

Some people can have a slice of bread or a potato once in a while, but one grape will send them over the edge. Me, I do fine with any fruit, but must stay away from all grains as much as possible.

I think that's one of the reasons Atkins is so popular; it's a step by step training program which lets people explore exactly what works for them. By adding carbs slowly, and waiting for our reaction to a particular food, we can figure out what works and what will trip us up.

So don't try to figure it out, first. Doing it is how you figure it out!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/145/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I completely agree that Good Calories Bad Calories was a turning point for me. I knew atkins but now I really understand the physiology that MY body has.

I've read it twice and the most important message I got was...this is not a psychological illness it is a physical difference that some of us have. However, if we realize that's our body's nature and feed it accordingly, we magically become like "normal" people, with weight loss and virtually no cravings for all the junk we used to love. I highly recommend the book, see if you find yourself in the same category.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-11, 11:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbburn
Mark, you are burning energy, thus burning calories when you exercise. Move more, eat less, lose weight.

Please provide citations for 3 studies that meet all these criteria:
  • peer-reviewed
  • sample size of 50 or more
  • lasted 6 months or more
  • indicate that exercise is causal, independent factor in fat or weight loss
Then you can have some basis for your assertion.

This notion is like a zombie: it's dead, but it keeps moving and trying to eat the brains of the vulnerable.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Fri, Sep-23-11 at 11:46.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-11, 12:13

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzien
..my own inclination is to eat 30g carbs, not worry about the amount of protein but keep the fats below about 90g.

I think it's a good idea to listen to your inclination, so that sounds like a good place to start. You have to start somewhere right? Then you can make adjustments.

I tried what you propose and it didn't work too well for me - I ended up being so hungry that I overate protein. I figured out later that I just plain wasn't making enough energy from super low carb and low fat, so I needed much more protein just for the energy, and then that kept my insulin high. . But when I had fat up to 110g and carbs up to 50g and protein to 65g, then it all clicked in.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 05:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

The more fat, the better I did. 80% seems like a lot. But it is measuring calorie density. On the plate, it's a generous dollop of salad dressing and the pat of butter that adds a lot to our nutrition and our sense of satiety.

If we are one of those people who must eat until a certain quota of fat is reached... and we eat low fat... then the math gets big. And it's not on our plate.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-11, 03:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 340/182/175 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Plan, what plan? Keep it simple.
When I started my lifestyle change I had no diet plan. I just knew I had to make changes. I keep it simple. No sugars, No wheat, No starches. No fast food, No processed foods. Plenty of fat, proteins, and green leafy veggies. I've lost 145 pounds in the past 21 months.
I don't count anything, I just eat good food.
I tell my story on my blog.