Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 13:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 160/154/110
BF:
Progress:
Wink WOW

I just started the Atkin's on August 6. I'm having a bit of trouble, though. I've cut out the carbs... 20g or under a day. But I just can't seem to justify eggs and bacon in the am. For lunch, I eat tuna salad (with mayo) and lettuce. Then for dinner, whatever the family is having. (I eat the meat, but no potatoe, veggies, etc)
Will I lose if I stick with just an egg in the am, some sort of salad for lunch and meat for dinner? I also have peanuts for a snack, is that ok?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 15:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Liserann!

Why bacon and eggs in the morning? You can eat whatever you want. The same goes for peanuts. If they fit into your 20 gram carb allowance, do it.

My opinion is that it's hard to eat 1 oz. of nuts. They're pretty carby and you can eat 4 oz. and not even notice it. Macadamias are the LC nut of choice. But, you even have to be careful with them.

Quote:
Will I lose if I stick with just an egg in the am, some sort of salad for lunch and meat for dinner?

If you do that, you won't be eating enough. Not eating enough = no weight loss. Calories per day should be 10-12 times your body weight.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 20:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Liserann, welcome to the forum

Karen is right, don't undereat. You will lose some weight in the beginning, but it will be muscle tissue as well as fat, and then your metabolism will slow down and the weight loss will stop, and you will gain it back even quicker when you go off the diet because you're bored and so hungry. An egg is nowhere near enough ... barely 7 grams of protein. The average sedentary woman requires a bare minimum of 60g protein per day.

Click on the search icon at the top right of the page. Type in the word breakfast, and you'll come up with a few discussion threads throughout this message board with some good ideas for variety besides just eggs ..

All the best to you

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 06:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 160/154/110
BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much! I bougth some sharp chedder cheese last night and had some slices of that for a snack. I also measured out servings of peanuts to snack on instead of taking out the entire can. They are such a good filler and get me through my afternoon!