Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 06:41
Registered Member

Plan: BFL/PP
Stats: 115/114/107
BF:32/32/25
Progress: 13%
Default LC hints for the Holidays

This will by my first year going throught the Holidays low carbing. I have lots of experience going throught the holidays "Low Fatting" But L Cing is a whole new ball game ~ The main problems for me that I see ahead are:

1. Lots of candy and baked goods to resist
2. Coctails ~ such a social time of year

I'm sure there are other things to look out for.
I thought maybe those of you who have been through the holidays as a low carber before could give some hints and tips on how to handle all these temptations and also other things to look out for. For those of you who are new like me, what are your worries?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 07:36

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You can be social without blowing your diet Who says you have to have a coctail to be social? Grab a glass of soda and walk around like you have a mixed drink. Only you and the bartender knows for sure. Remember if you do chose to drink, alcohol WILL have 10 times the effect it use to, so go easy on it.

My mom bakes all kinds of stuff during the holiday season. Last year I turned all her treats down in favor of the veggie and meat trays that were laid out. My mom kept pushing me to try one and I finally said "Mom, you know I haven't had sugar in 8 months and I am really afraid it would make me sick at this point and spoil the rest of the day for us". Subject dropped and we had a great day.

If people know you have resolve about staying on your diet and if you let them know how important it is to you that you remain failthful they understand. Most will admire your willpower.

How important is losing weight to you? How important is it to reach that goal? Remember those reasons when faced with a plate full of Christmas cheer.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 08:30
Registered Member

I do enjoy having a drink or two with friends. But really have never been a big drinker. Club soda with a twist of lime will probably work for me. I really don't have a problem saying no thanks to a drink, its just that I probably will miss it a little. And certainly wouldn't want to have 10 times the effect on me. That would be a disaster for sure. Through all of this I really have done well staying away from sugar. But I have done that before. Last year I was pretty weak at work and ate alot of Sees candy. I felt miserable but kept eating it. I would probably feel 10 xs worse this year so I think I will just promise myself right now that I will stay away from sugar. If I decide to have a drink I will have a Gin and diet tonic that I mix my self. I guess the big problem for me will be feeling like I'm hurting someones feeling by turning down their home baked goods. But really I just have to remember that there are plenty of others more than willing to eat them Thanks for the input. It will be interesting to see if your Mom enourages you to eat the sweets this year or not.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 09:34

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

This is a good thread. I'm becoming anxious already with thanksgiving just a few weeks away. My big thing is people saying, "You don't need to diet." when, in truth, I don't like to think of it as a diet. I really enjoy eating this way and know how gross I'll feel if I gorge on stuffing and potatoes. We'll see. At least we're all here going through similar things. Hope everybody does well!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 10:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I have been giving this a great deal of thought too...

Originally, I had planned on just having one day to blow it all out and just enjoy. The temptation of a house full of cookies, pies and candies was just too big a thought. Now that I have been able to re-start my induction this week and actually see some movement on the scale, I'm working hard not to lose that ground.

I am going to make sure that I bring to my mother's house and cheese tray with several yummy things on it, she normally has a roast or a turkey so that will be there already. I will also bring a mashed cauliflour cassarole with sour cream and cheese in lieu of any potato thing on the table.

For dessert, I'm going to make a LC cheesecake and some yummy lo-carb desserts for me and my friend...and when it comes time for the sweets, I will indulge in my own stuff.

Even if I do have to absolutely try a bite of something else, at least the bulk of what I eat will be more suited to my WOE.

At this point, I don't expect perfection or miracles...I just want to stay as balanced and as focused as I can.

Writing up a clear view of Christmas will help...it's NOT all about food!

By the way...my job the week before Christmas is to bake the cookie trays...over 100 dozen different kinds of Italian specials...OY!!! Make them into trays and spread them around... Will I ever need some clarity on THAT day!!

#6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:15

Plan: PP/Atkins/PPLP
Stats: 224/192/150
BF:57%/42%/25%
Progress: 43%
Default Xmas

Ahhhhhhhhhh Chocolate!!! My favorite thing in the world and of course around Xmas time there is no shortage of it. Last Xmas I made a point of not eating any regular chocolate. I knew that it would be difficult for me to completely abstain so instead I prepared ahead of time. I bought some Ross chocolate bars in my favorite flavors and cut each bar into bite size pieces. Then I put them in a crystal candy bowl and left them out on the coffee table. It felt freeing! I could have a piece whenever I wanted and when I did it really felt decadent. Just my two cents worth.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:47

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Enjoyed the many good suggestions for coping with holiday eating. I've been on the WOE for three months and I've been pleasantly surprised at how little attention people pay to what I'm eating. When I'm offerred carb stuff, I just smile and say no thanks. Really, what a person chooses to eat is and should be totally personal!
Cindy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 14:27

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I have already loaded up on my low carb treats for the holidays..i will take them with me! I have Ross choc bars...s/f gummy bears...tons of different nuts...cookie mix which i'll bake up...whipped cream with s/f syrups..and so on and so on
Just plan ahead..take alternatives with you so you don't have to go without!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 14:57

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have yet to see Ross Chocolate Bars around here..maybe that's a good thing.

I make a thanksgiving dinner for relatives and friends. It's actually the only large meal I cook from beginning to end all year long. I'm arranging for my friends to bring the carb things like garlic mash potatoes. I will not stuff the turkey with dressing this year, I'll do a pan of dressing on the side. I am thinking about stuffing the turkey with celery, onions and a little apple. Besides the potatoes and stuffing I plan on green salad and string beans with bacon. Also, I will not have any carb leftovers, I have lots of plastic containers to send the extra home with guests.

I'm also thinking of making my favorite low carb chocolate mosse in addition to the traditional pumpkin pies my Mom will bring. Ummm, dinner sounds good to me.

It'll be fun comparing notes after the big day here on the forum. Thanks to the warnings of others who have eaten carbs at special dinners and reported how bad they felt I don't think I'll be very tempted to eat outside of allowable foods.

Katie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 15:32
Registered Member

What are Ross chocolate bars? Also I have a recipe for low carb cheese cake. That would be good to make. Being prepared is probably the best thing to do.
As far as taking a day to just "blow it" I just don't know if that is a good idea. Its up to you but really if you have been staying away from sugar etc you will feel so awful you might wish that you had not indulged. I just had some lasagna last week and felt horrible afterwards. My stomach took about 3 days to feel un bloated. Maybe I'm extra sensitive but it really bothered me.
Keep the ideas coming ~ they are great.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 15:36

BF:

Ross bars are s/f choc bars that taste BETTER then any gourmet chocolate bar i have ever tasted..i'm eating one right now...1 carb per bar But they are made with mailitol..so i never eat a whole one..or the toilet will be attatched to me lol
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 16:04
Registered Member

Thanks, where can I find them?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 16:57

Plan: yo-yo
Stats: 230/190/175 Male 5'10"
BF:no clue
Progress: 73%
Default Top 10 list for the Holidays

McRumi's Top Ten LC Strategies for the Holidays

10. Get that root canal you've been putting off
9. Arrive early; seek out and quietly throw all chocolate into the fireplace and start a cheery fire.
8. Put your Aunt's pot of mashed potatoes in the oven and crank it to 450 degrees.
7. Pretend you have a horrible cold and let them serve you green tea all night.
6. Tell your relatives NOW that you have already made plans to make that long-desired trip to Paris....and GO!
5. Keep your dog at heel and discretely feed him everything on your plate.
4. Designate yourself as family photographer and make yourself so annoying that everyone will avoid getting within 5 feet of you.
3. Throw the holiday party at your house...host and hostesses NEVER eat.
2. Tell everyone you are on a very strict low fat diet and CANNOT EAT ANY MEAT, POULTRY, CHEESE, GREEN VEGETABLES OR SALAD. Graciously give in when they heap your plate with exactly and only those items.
1. Help out at a soup kitchen or Meal on Wheels. In fact, get the whole family (nuclear or otherwise) involved.

Oh yeah, don't forget to give thanks.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:16

BF:

I'm in Canada and i can get them at my local healthfood store now...sorry..not sure where you can get them...i used to order them online before they brought them in...i think it may have been at www.healthierways.com but i could be wrong...i'll try and find out for you
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 18:01

Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

McRumi:

Funny, very funny. I supposed we better laugh at it or we might cry!

Katie