Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 14:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Walden Farms Products

I'm wondering if any of you use their zero everything items. I've tried tons of their products but only a few are worth buying IMO.

My favorite is their Asian dressing and marinade. I grew up on asian food. I've tried so many carby and low carb asian themed sauces and this beats them all hands down. Carbs or no carbs! It is delicious! Of course it's fat free so add your own.

My other favs are the caramel sauce, caramel dip, and pancake syrup. Surprisingly for "zero" carb products their ingredients really aren't that scary aside from a preservative. I've only used the caramel syrup a few times in the 3 weeks I've been on induction but eventually I plan to use the pancake syrup again too. I wouldn't eat them everyday but for a treat they're nice and guilt free.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 15:42

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 173.8/138/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 124%

Hi! I've tried the Asian Sesame Ginger (my favorite hands down!), Italian, and Thousand Island. I like them all, but noticed after eating the thousand island last night along with all safe foods, I was quite bloated this morning. When looking at the ingredients, I noticed corn starch (wicked, wicked, wicked). It still said 0 carbs, etc, so I figured, what the hey. Well, I was bummed. So be careful b/c I think they have some hidden little treasures in them sometimes.

But yes, shirataki noodle stirfy with the sesame ginger dressing is to die! I notice regular grocery stores are starting to carry WF products. I keep looking for the SG dressing but no one has it yet. I'll have to order more from Netrition!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 15:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Recent brain research suggests that when your body tastes something sweet, it expects a big dose of calories to come along with that taste. If the calories aren't there, a body can stimulate the appetite to consume more calories. I'm not sure what kinds of foods the research was looking at, but that's what the internet's for. Also, what kind of oil does the product use? I avoid stuff made from 100% soybean oil, since it's high in inflammatory, omega-6 fats.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Tue, Jan-31-12 at 16:04.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-12, 06:55

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I like the maple syrup. I also use the ketchup. It is not quite real ketchup, but pretty good.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-12, 13:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutsupdoc
Hi! I've tried the Asian Sesame Ginger (my favorite hands down!), Italian, and Thousand Island. I like them all, but noticed after eating the thousand island last night along with all safe foods, I was quite bloated this morning. When looking at the ingredients, I noticed corn starch (wicked, wicked, wicked). It still said 0 carbs, etc, so I figured, what the hey. Well, I was bummed. So be careful b/c I think they have some hidden little treasures in them sometimes.

But yes, shirataki noodle stirfy with the sesame ginger dressing is to die! I notice regular grocery stores are starting to carry WF products. I keep looking for the SG dressing but no one has it yet. I'll have to order more from Netrition!

Yes the Sesame Ginger dressing is good too. I still like the original Asian best though. The caramel dip has corn starch in it but of the products I use it's the only one. I always count a serving as .5 carbs because if it has .49 they can legally claim zero. I don't use any of their products on a daily basis so but for the occasional sweet tasting treat they're perfect IMO.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-12, 13:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Recent brain research suggests that when your body tastes something sweet, it expects a big dose of calories to come along with that taste. If the calories aren't there, a body can stimulate the appetite to consume more calories. I'm not sure what kinds of foods the research was looking at, but that's what the internet's for. Also, what kind of oil does the product use? I avoid stuff made from 100% soybean oil, since it's high in inflammatory, omega-6 fats.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

There's no oil in their products. They're fat free calorie free and carb free. "Free" by the legal definition anyway. What you mentioned is definitely something to keep in mind. If I notice something giving me sweet cravings it would have to be cut for sure.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 17:27

Plan: atkins inductin diet wine
Stats: 250/220/190 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 50%

We like the pancake syrup & the caramel dip. I am not too fond of the dressings or the ketchup, but I will see if my store carries the Asian one, that would be handy for stir fry.
For a while I was making low carb pancakes 4 or 5 days a week for lunch LOL
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 09:45

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

They have a spicy ranch that I like to use for my taco salads
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 14:13

Stats: 180/138/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I recently placed my first order of Walden Farms products from Netrition. I had purchased the WF pancake syrup locally a couple of times, and it is delish, so I thought I'd try a few more things. Here are my brief reviews:
Seafood Sauce- really zesty, good amount of horseradish heat.
Pancake syrup: yummy, thick, no chemical taste
Chocolate syrup: nice thickness, not very chocolatey, unpleasant aftertaste
Blueberry syrup: decent flavor, a bit chemically- think I'll try Smuckers next time.
Caramel dip: gross, mucilaginous texture, unpleasant flavor and aftertaste. I may use this to sweeten smoothies- can't stand it otherwise

After reading the other reviews here, think I'll try the sesame dressing for sure.