Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 04:53

Plan: Atkins / Fat-to-Skinny
Stats: 280/274/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default low carb and Zero Carb Bread!

I am loving low carb Bread!!!

I order from **promotional link removed** and get it shipped to Chicago within 2 days.

I have found the Zero Carb bread to be great and the Zero Carb Everything bagels to be Decent. Only problem with the bagels are that they are a little chewy.

Man, I use that Zero Carb bread and just put butter all over it either toasted or not and it fills the gaps of what I have been missing.

So far I have tried:

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Bread - great bread, o net carbs! How is that scientifically possible???

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Pizza Crust - makes great pizza with meijer brand garlic tomato sauce (3 or 4 carbs a serving, I usually use 1/2 serving)

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Bagels (kinda chewy, but not unpleasant. I put lots of cream cheese on it. We are trying the ones with 2 carbs next to see if the texture can be made better)

My wife and I are getting these items next, will let you guys know what we think:

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Bread Crumbs (for meatloaf!!!)

Healthwise Bakery Zero Net Carb Bagel Chips - These look great for different toppings

Healthwise Bakery Low Carb Multigrain Bagel (2 Carbs per bagel)

Healthwise Bakery Low Carb Multigrain Bread (2 Carbs per slice)

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Pita Bread

Healthwise Bakery Zero Net Carb Dinner Rolls

Will be trying these in the future, the previous list is in the mail and on the way.

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Hot Dog Buns

Healthwise Bakery Zero Net Carb Hamburger Buns
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 09:17
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Smattering of ingredients...

Healthwise Bread:

Ingredients: flours (organic whole whear bran, organic wheat protein isolate, natural oat flour), filtered water, sea salt, natural chicory roots, fresh yeast, organic (flaxseed, sunflower seeds, pinenuts, sesame seeds, rye flakes, hemp seeds), organic sprouted whole grain (millet, barley, quinoa, spelt, kamut seeds).

Rye Ingredients:
flours(organic wheat bran, natural wheat protein isolate, natural oat flour), purified water, sea salt, calcium propionate(a natural baking preservative),chicory roots, yeast(sorbitan monostearate),rye

Well....

I hate to be the party pooper....

With ingredients such as above....a zero net carb is virtually impossible.

The problem with LOVING LC bread is that LC bread probably does not love you. If you find that down the line either you are not losing or cravings have reared their ugly head, this would be the first thing I would elimintate.

(Actually becuase it contains wheat, I would NEVER add this into my WOE--but that's just me).

If you are on Atkins--wheat and wheat products is the LAST rung of the OWL ladder for a reason. Wheat and wheat products tend to stall weight loss, incite cravings, act as a trigger food, and for many cause health problems due to wheat sensitivities.

I'm just sayn'.

Plus, on their website the ingredients are not readily found. THAT makes me suspect right off the bat. I found the ingredients off the website you posted.

Progress not prfection.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 07:21

Plan: Ketogenic with Carb Load
Stats: 160/150/150 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

firstmode,
Thanks for the shout out to our site and the bread.

Mods,
My below response to cnmLisa includes some details about the bread in question. Please consider it an attempt to clarify statements made rather than any sort of advertisement.

cnmLisa,
Your skepticism is definitely warranted since a true "low carb bread" is hard to come by. Fortunately with the Healthwise Bakery brand, the baker has the bread tested a couple times a year to make sure he always has the most up to date test results proving the nutritionals. This is essential considering so many find it outrageous for Healthwise to claim they have a zero net carb bread product. He provides the test results to retailers on request.

In addition to having the bread tested, the baker has started to consider offering a guarantee to diabetics that it won't raise blood sugar levels. This is in a way considered the "real world proof" that the carbs are as detailed on the label.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on the brand. If you have quesitons on our store, PM me since that is unrelated to the thread.

-lindasdd
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 08:34
Every day is day one

BF:

Do they provide those results to consumers?

I still stand by my original statement.

All these products contain wheat. I am specifically talking about Atkins when I write that wheat and wheat products are the LAST rung in the Atkins OWL ladder. Dr. Atkins was smart and designed the OWL loss ladder in this way for a reason. Wheat and wheat products can be dicey for many on a LC diet. Wheat and wheat products can cause weight loss stall, trigger cravings, impact blood sugars, cause bloating, gas, etc. These types of products should be eaten sparingly if not at all.

As for the BS issue--I would like to see real-time diabetic users of this product.

Just think Dreamfields--which I love. But, alas it does not love me or many other people inlcuding many diabetics.

Like anything. YMMV.

I'm just sayn'

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

and Lindadd--just HOW are you affiliated with this company. It does happen to sound like an ad. (Don't be offended--but it seems a bit suspect--particularly since this was your first post and you joined this mornng--I'm just sayn')
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 08:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 411/347/170 Female 5.9
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Do they provide those results to consumers?

I still stand by my original statement.

All these products contain wheat. I am specifically talking about Atkins when I write that wheat and wheat products are the LAST rung in the Atkins OWL ladder. Dr. Atkins was smart and designed the OWL loss ladder in this way for a reason. Wheat and wheat products can be dicey for many on a LC diet. Wheat and wheat products can cause weight loss stall, trigger cravings, impact blood sugars, cause bloating, gas, etc. These types of products should be eaten sparingly if not at all.

As for the BS issue--I would like to see real-time diabetic users of this product.

Just think Dreamfields--which I love. But, alas it does not love me or many other people inlcuding many diabetics.

Like anything. YMMV.

I'm just sayn'

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

and Lindadd--just HOW are you affiliated with this company. It does happen to sound like an ad. (Don't be offended--but it seems a bit suspect--particularly since this was your first post and you joined this mornng--I'm just sayn')

I thought exactly the same as you before I read your first post - checked the ingredients because I found it difficult to believe that someone could produce a carb free bread and when I saw that the first two ingredients were forms of wheat, the alarm bells started ringing. I don't understand (and maybe I'm just not educated enough) but how can bread with wheat in it be carb free????
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 08:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindasdd

cnmLisa,
Your skepticism is definitely warranted since a true "low carb bread" is hard to come by. Fortunately with the Healthwise Bakery brand, the baker has the bread tested a couple times a year to make sure he always has the most up to date test results proving the nutritionals. This is essential considering so many find it outrageous for Healthwise to claim they have a zero net carb bread product. He provides the test results to retailers on request.

In addition to having the bread tested, the baker has started to consider offering a guarantee to diabetics that it won't raise blood sugar levels. This is in a way considered the "real world proof" that the carbs are as detailed on the label.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on the brand. If you have quesitons on our store, PM me since that is unrelated to the thread.

-lindasdd

hello,

If you have a detailed nutritional analysis of these "zero carb" bread products from the manufacturer, do please post it here. Inquiring minds would love to know .

Just a note that the private messaging system isn't enabled until the day after a new member has reached 25 posts. This encourages participation with the whole community, and prevents "pm spam". If readers want information about your business, it would be more appropriate to go to the website and contact from there.

Doreen,
Admin.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 08:50
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I'm going to chime in here and totally agree with Lisa!

As a successful loser and maintainer, I can tell you that until people "get it" about flour(even so called low carb flour) from grains, even with the claims of being low carb, they are feeding their own addiction to it.

I was addicted to flour and my weight reflected this. I did use Dreamfields pasta, as I lost my weight, to wean myself off it. That worked out well for me. I haven't eaten it in about 2 years now...and don't miss it any longer.

Low carb bread, to me, is an oxymoron. No offense intended!

Quote:
If you have quesitons on our store

So, this is your store?
FYI- you can't get a PM until you have 25 posts to your name.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 09:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstmode
I am loving low carb Bread!!!

I order from *********** and get it shipped to Chicago within 2 days.

I have found the Zero Carb bread to be great and the Zero Carb Everything bagels to be Decent. Only problem with the bagels are that they are a little chewy.

Man, I use that Zero Carb bread and just put butter all over it either toasted or not and it fills the gaps of what I have been missing.

So far I have tried:

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Bread - great bread, o net carbs! How is that scientifically possible???

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Pizza Crust - makes great pizza with meijer brand garlic tomato sauce (3 or 4 carbs a serving, I usually use 1/2 serving)

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Bagels (kinda chewy, but not unpleasant. I put lots of cream cheese on it. We are trying the ones with 2 carbs next to see if the texture can be made better)

My wife and I are getting these items next, will let you guys know what we think:

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Bread Crumbs (for meatloaf!!!)

Healthwise Bakery Zero Net Carb Bagel Chips - These look great for different toppings

Healthwise Bakery Low Carb Multigrain Bagel (2 Carbs per bagel)

Healthwise Bakery Low Carb Multigrain Bread (2 Carbs per slice)

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Pita Bread

Healthwise Bakery Zero Net Carb Dinner Rolls

Will be trying these in the future, the previous list is in the mail and on the way.

HealthWise Bakery Zero Net Carb Hot Dog Buns

Healthwise Bakery Zero Net Carb Hamburger Buns

Hello!
I've just read all 4 of your posts to this community.
What I'm about to tell you may not be taken well by you but I do think that you need to hear this.
All 4 of your posts to us have been about finding and eating grains. If you really want to see weight loss, you will have to get a grip on this aspect of your food.
You are addicted to grains and flour from grain and until you get this fact, you will keep searching for ways to justify eating them(ie: calling them low carb ). AND, you will not lose weight either....sorry, but that just the truth, IMNSHO!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-10, 13:55

Plan: My own
Stats: 100/100/100 Male approx 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

You could make coconut flour bread. The bread is dense, and short, but quite tasty and filling.
http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/...ut-flour-bread/
I leave out the salt, use erythritol, xylitol, or stevia in place of the honey, add some baking powder, and toss in some cinnamon. I have also substituted almond flour for some of the coconut flour to get the carb count down, with good results.
If you have a mini-loaf fan, cutting the recipe in half works well. Cut thin slices, savor each piece, make it a treat, not a staple. Soon you will be able to live without bread.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-10, 21:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

Please, let's get back on topic .. re: the "zero net carb" claim of various Healthwise Bakery products.

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a link to the Healthwise Bakery site .. http://www.healthwisebakeryinc.com/ .. On their homepage is a list of online retailers, of which lindasdd is but one.

Nutrition data for the plain "zero net carb" bagels, as shown at lowcarbu.com ...
Quote:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 oz (Each Bagel 2 oz)

Servings Per Container About 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories 60 Calories From Fat 10

Total Fat 1.0g

Saturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 20mg

Total Carbohydrate 7g

Dietary Fiber 7g

Sugar 0g

Sugar Alcohols 0g

Protein 6g

< snipped >

Calories per gram
Fat 9 Carbohydrate 4 Protein 4

Okay, let's do the math ...

First, notice that the serving size is ½ a bagel, ie 1 oz (a whole bagel is 2 oz). So, half a bagel provides 60 calories, broken down as
1g fat x 9 calories per gram
6g protein x 4 calories per gram
digestible carbs x 4 calories per gram
fiber x 0 calories per gram

1g fat = 9 cals
6g protein = 24 cals
7g fiber = 0 cals

9 + 24 + 0 = 33 calories

60 cals for ½ bagel - minus - 33 cals of fat, prot, fiber = 27 calories

There are 27 digestible calories left. They're not made up of fat, protein, or fiber, as those have already been accounted for .. nor are they made up of thin air . Therefore, the remaining 27 calories *must* come from digestible carbs.

27 ÷ 4 = 6.75 .. rounded up to 7. Therefore, one-half bagel provides 7g digestible carbs per serving PLUS 7g fiber .. not MINUS 7g fiber.

This happens often with those who simply subtract fiber grams from carb grams to achieve low "net carbs", whether or not the fiber carbs were included in the caloric value.

In the case of these bagels, the "total" carbs should actually be 14g, not 7g. However, the manufacturer is legally allowed to calculate "carbs by difference", whether or not fiber is included in the total carb count or not. The term "net carbs" is not regulated by law, so manufacturers can label their products as they wish, as long as the numbers can be manipulated to match legal requirements

Caveat Emptor, as always

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 08:36

BF:
Progress:

Sorry for not chiming in sooner, this forum is much more active than I thought.

cnmLisa,
I will see if the baker is ok with me posting the lab results. I think he should be since we were going to do it on our site. Also, I will have to put something together that explains it all since it doesn't read the way a nutritional label reads.

The actual nutritional breakdown comes out to about 1/4 of a carb per serving, but like all nutritional labels it is rounded down to zero.

The way I am affiliated with the company is that I am a retailer of their products. I chimed in because they are a company I strongly believe in and trust so I wanted to provide a perspective on the products from someone who is knowledgeable on the products.

I agree with your assessment of Dreamfields. This was one reason that the baker was considering doing the blood sugar spike guarantee. As far as I can find on the internet, many people had no affect from Dreamfields, but then 3-4 hours later had a large spike.

-lindasdd
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 08:40

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Thanks Doreen! Man I love this forum - I learn so much here!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 09:02
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Sorry for not chiming in sooner, this forum is much more active than I thought.

cnmLisa,
I will see if the baker is ok with me posting the lab results. I think he should be since we were going to do it on our site. Also, I will have to put something together that explains it all since it doesn't read the way a nutritional label reads.

The actual nutritional breakdown comes out to about 1/4 of a carb per serving, but like all nutritional labels it is rounded down to zero.

The way I am affiliated with the company is that I am a retailer of their products. I chimed in because they are a company I strongly believe in and trust so I wanted to provide a perspective on the products from someone who is knowledgeable on the products.

I agree with your assessment of Dreamfields. This was one reason that the baker was considering doing the blood sugar spike guarantee. As far as I can find on the internet, many people had no affect from Dreamfields, but then 3-4 hours later had a large spike.

-lindasdd

1. If the baker is not OK with you posting the results...well then....need I say more?

2. Actually it would be more beneficial for you to post the lab results AS WRITTEN. Not something that you "put together" (because it doesn't read like a nutrition label). Many of us here have science and medical backgrounds and are more than competent in breaking down analysis and results.

I look forward to persuing that information.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 13:08

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
1. If the baker is not OK with you posting the results...well then....need I say more?

Lisa

The file size is too large to post here so I put it on our website server here:[ ** document removed **

The version you are seeing is the 60 calorie version. Although we sometimes have this version in stock, we usually opt for the 40 calorie version of the products which use less oil(and are therefore more dry.)

-lindasdd
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-10, 18:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

From your link:

"Carbohydrates, available 21.4%"

How does 21.4% of 60 calories work out to zero?