Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 14:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/169.5/130
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up pain in joints--good news

I wanted to share my discovery with you people so I hope this is the right place to put it.

Last summer I was walking about an hour every morning (I have a tape that ticks off a 15-minute mile). Then, all of a sudden, in August, I got a terrible pain in both knees. I had to stop walking and on some days it got so bad I could hardly stand up.

I went to 2 different doctors and even had an MRI done and the only thing they could come up with was arthritis. So they put me on some different medications--the last one being Vioxx.

Now for the good news. This June, my daughter told me about a friend who also suffered from pain in her joints. Her friend stopped using sweetner and the pain went away. I thought I'd try it. Sure enough, I cut the amount of Sweet-n-low that I use in half and started drinking more water instead of diet soda and I'm back to walking again!! I still have a little pain every once in a while but a tylenol or aspirin will take care of it.

I hope this was ok for me to post this message. I'm not a doctor or anything...just a teacher who is happy to be standing pain-free again. And I love taking a morning walk. It just seems to energize me for the rest of the day.

Carole
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 14:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: pain in joints--good news

Quote:
Originally posted by cdv_63701

I hope this was ok for me to post this message. I'm not a doctor or anything...

Carole, if only doctors were allowed to voice their opinions here, they would have told us long ago, to shutdown, stop low-carbing, and join Weight Wtchers.

Thanks for sharing, and congrats on finding what ails you!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 12:49
Registered Member

Plan: Attkins
Stats: 210/198/165 Female 5'6 1/2''
BF:
Progress: 27%

Carol, that is so interesting for me.

About last May, a friend of mine told me that diet drinks could cause join aches; and i have problems with the top of my feet. So I totally quit drinking any diet drinks. This was before the low carb life. I went to drinking straight Pepsi and Coke. BIG MISTAKE!! I gain about 15 pounds over the summer and that is what is coming off now. I can't wait until I can get to the weight I was in May and then be loosing 'old weight'. It is close.

I started back to drinking diet stuff and it is not hurting me now. But I may even cut it out too. I am loosing good and still drinking caffine in diet coke and diet Dr. Pepper.

Thanks for the confirmation on the connection between join ache and sweetners.

karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 12:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

I'm not sure about sweeteners but I do know that all carbonated beverages are very bad for your bones! Water is the best I think.