Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-23, 03:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default US Dietary Guidelines, a total fail.

OK, That's not the title of the study, but it could be

Compliance with U.S. Government Nutrition Advice and Concurrent Obesity Trends Using NURSES' HEALTH STUDY Data, 1980-2011i, ii, iii

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...22316623727302?

Quote:
Conclusions
Guidance from the U.S. Government to limit fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol consumption was widely adopted by American female nurses during the study period. Our results show that compliance with this guidance had little, if any, effect in mitigating population-wide BMI increases during our study period.

More details from the study's conclusions:

Quote:
Conclusions
Using data from the Nurses Health Studies, this paper analyzed compliance with U.S. Government Nutrition Advice from 1980 to 2011, and the concurrent trends in obesity levels and BMI distributions. American female nurses in the sample, on average, shifted their behavior towards U.S. Government Nutrition Advice on consumption of total fat and saturated fat as a share of total calories, and absolute consumption of cholesterol, with overall compliance with all three recommendations simultaneously increasing from 4% in 1980 to a maximum approaching 60% in 1998. Nonetheless, mean and median BMI for both overall compliers and overall non-complier increased throughout the sample period, with obesity and severe obesity growing disproportionately even as overall compliance remained widespread. We find that the distributions of BMIs shifted such that a larger share of both overall compliers and overall non-compliers became obese and severely obese. We also present data which show no apparent linear association between the Fat Proportion in the diet and BMI, further throwing into doubt the idea that compliance was protective against BMI growth and obesity outcomes. The increases in BMI for female nurses in the Studies are robust regardless of compliance status. Thus, any mitigating effects compliance with U.S. Government Nutrition Advice may have had were dominated by the overall time trend. Further, those potential effects of compliance require additional research to establish whether compliance caused the minimal levels of mitigation observed, as opposed to potential confounders that were not available for control within the data.

So we complied with the guidelines and got fat. A big oops for the last 40+ years:

"We find that the distributions of BMIs shifted such that a larger share of both overall compliers and overall non-compliers became obese and severely obese. We also present data which show no apparent linear association between the Fat Proportion in the diet and BMI, further throwing into doubt the idea that compliance was protective against BMI growth and obesity outcomes. The increases in BMI for female nurses in the Studies are robust regardless of compliance status.

Ps, thanks to Brendan ((Grav) who posted this study on FB.

Only a few weeks ago, Demi posted a Harvard study "rethinking" the starchy carb advice.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Nov-29-23 at 05:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-23, 08:35

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Considering that nurses are on their feet all day, running from patient to patient, that should say something about the exercise component of weight control too.

So 31 years of eating low fat, high carb (or not), while being on their feet all day running from patient to patient, often with barely a restroom break, much less a lunch break, and they still gained weight - a LOT of weight.

(Actually makes me not feel not quite so bad that my weight is still not under control - I spent about 20-25 years eating high carb, and despite the most recent 20 years being low carb, I'm not sure the remaining excess weight is ever really going to go away at this point.)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-23, 18:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I am not surprised by the results.

The medical community will say they weren't eating enough whole grains and continue to demonize meats and saturated fats.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-23, 03:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Considering that nurses are on their feet all day, running from patient to patient, that should say something about the exercise component of weight control too.

A high stress and demanding job, on shifts. I've done manufacturing with similar challenges.

When you have only a fifteen minute break and you use up half of it getting to the break room, those snack cakes beckon.

People on their way to work buy the day's food at the gas station. Sandwiches, soda, snack cakes. At least they are getting some meat.

I'm frightened of the baby food aisle now. They aren't even getting chicken nuggets. They're getting soy substitutes shaped like nuggets.