Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins later southbeach
Stats: 197/197/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool LC and Smoking

3 days ago, I made up my mind to change myself, loose wieght and stick to LCing. I feel a determination I never felt before. However, I am also feeling to urge to stop smoking.
Has anyone experience that on this diet?
I really dont have AT THIS TIME strong cravings to take a drag. I hope that this coninues along with not feeling hungry.
Have any of you quit smoking while LCing? If so I'd love to hear some insperational stories.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 14:39

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Though I never was a heavy smoker (or even smoked every day, for that matter) the few cravings that I did get in the past are totally gone now.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 14:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

depends on what kinda smokes we are talking about
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 07:34
Registered Member

BF:

gyfonclaw, thanks for the guilt trip. I needed that.
medalian1, well now just the legal ones
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 19:10
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I quit in January, before LC - but I find now that when I eat too much of a starchy food I get a little craving for a cigarette. Not a real craving, just a slight urge.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 22:07

Plan: Bernstein, M&E
Stats: 179/163.3/118 Female 5'4'
BF:2darnmuch
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalian1
depends on what kinda smokes we are talking about

Rofl...there are some kind of smokes that would have us all high carbing uncontrollably.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 08:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Unfortunately, going low carb didn't provoke any lessening in my desire to smoke and I continued for several years after going low carb. On the good side, I did quit last year (9 1/2 months smoke free now) and found it be easier to quit and stay quit this time around. Coincidence? I don't know.
I don't think there's any direct chemical link to smoking and blood sugar swings, other than the fact that smoking can and does contribute to insulin resistance. Perhaps it's the subconscious suggestion that low carbing to get healthy triggers the desire to do other things to improve health like giving up the cigarettes?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 10:40

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by triche
gyfonclaw, thanks for the guilt trip. I needed that.

Well, my work here is done!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 09:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/215/160 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

well i just started LC last week and i have noticed that i have cut down on the smoking the "need a cig feeling" isn't there as much anymore, i hope it stays that way and i can in time completely kick the habit!!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 269/261/170 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Funny you should mention that. I quit smoking too, just a couple weeks after I started Atkins again. I never thought of a connection, except maybe a new healthier outlook. The only time I want a cigarette now is when I'm at the bar, then I gotta have one. More a habit than a nicotine fit, you know?
And speaking of the other, any low-carb munchie ideas?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-06, 08:02

Plan: no specific one
Stats: 210/192/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hi Tami,
I have been a very heavy smoker for nigh on 25yrs now but since I started low carbing I have noticed that I've cut down some and like you I hope this will continue,it would be great to kick the habit completely but one step at a time eh!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-06, 09:56
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks. It is a great feeling. I honestly feel reborn or something. I guess it was meant to be. I hope I can sustain, this in the future if I ever have a drink or two That will be the real test.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 11:47

Stats: 330/285/230 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 45%

One of the problems with smoking is its affects on insulin. quite the sword eh?

www.whyquit.com is what helped me.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 18:18

Plan: Eating healthier
Stats: 185/178/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thanx for that link, ProteinFat. I am going to put it in my favorites and read up on it because I really do want to quit. I've been smoking since I was about 13 years old and I am now 45. That's a long time to be addicted to nicotene. I just hope it is not too late as I do get shortness of breath and I am always coughing. The sad thing is.......when I get into one of my coughing fits, the only thing that stops it is to have a cigarette. Makes no sense to me that the one thing that is sending me into this coughing fit is the only thing that helps it? I do really want to quit though and was thinking about going to a hypnotist once I get my income tax check back. I figured I'd give it a try and with a little luck it will work. Two people I know said they took this step to quit and it worked for them. Of course, I'm sure there are alot of people out there that have also tried this route to no avail. I figure it's worth spending the money for it on the slight chance that it might work. Others swear "cold turkey" is the only way to go. My problem with "cold turkey" is there are too many triggers that will send me back to smoking. I know my health should be the #1 priority but addiction is addiction. An alcoholic can stay away from a bar but I can't stay away from my computer in the morning with my first cup of coffee. I would actually have to throw my computer in the garbage if I needed to do away with anything that triggers me to smoke. Old habits are hard to break whether they are healthy for you or not. That is why I am going to give the hypnotist a try to see what happens.

Thanx for the link!!

Patty
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-07, 14:43

Stats: 207/194/130 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 17%

I really want to quit smoking, too. I'm having a REALLY hard time with it. I said January 1 would be my last day, but I smoked. I kept smoking a pack a day until yesterday, when I only had four.

Today I've had three, and I plan on having one more before the night is over. I'm going to try four a day until I can get down to three, then two, then one.

My biggest problem is the habit. I'm always smoking during my breaks at work and it is so hard not to go outside with my friends and smoke and socialize!