Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 13:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/170/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Allen Carr, i love you. Fag free since Dec 23rd

Please give this book a go. Allen Carr's "Easy way to stop smoking". I've smoked a minimum of a pack-a-day for 20 years. I was the one that no one believed I could ever give up. Friends said there was something about the WAY I smoked, it wouldn't be possible for me to ever quit. I'm not sure exactly what they meant, but I kind of understand too. I couldn'[t function without cigarettes, especially as I'm very shy, and also work in creative environments.
My flat mate bought herself the book, and then left it here to go on holiday over Christmas. I had been thinking of giving up, of course, but not in any serious way (when don't we think about it?), when I read it.
I'm afraid I can't tell you what happened exactly, but I read the last page and haven't smoked since. Best of all, I HAVEN'T MISSED IT ONCE!!! I had planned to finish the book on
Dec 24th, because we had a work do on the 23rd, and I knew I'd be drinking and dancing etc (I work in a Jazz club). Accidentally I finished it early and spent my first night off fags surrounded by mates in a bar, drinking and smoking until 5am.
Don't get me wrong. I had several times where i had to DECIDE not to smoke, but there was never a NEED. I could have decided to smoke, but I didn't need to. It was only because I was identifying with it. Especially if it was a pack of Camels.
3 months on, I hardly remember that I smoked. 20 years of asthma went in days. Yes, I've gained about 10 pounds, but so what. To date, I've saved the equivalent of $900 Canadian.
I'm not the only one. Everyone I know who's quit has done it using this book. Some of them have been quit for years. He has 2 books, the Easy Way, and the Only Way. I used the Only Way. they're both the same, except the Only Wy's bigger, although everyone else used the smaller one.
There are a lot of stories about how Allen Carr's smoking again, about him being an arrogant bastrd etc. I don't care, and I make a point of not listening to them. I feel, like the media going on about Dr Atkins having heart disease, that often so-called information is only propaganda. The companies that sell nicotine replacements would love to slander him. All I know is that I'm free, for the first time in my life, and I can't imagine going back.
There are so many people trying so hard on this board, and I wish you all the best. Please try this. We've all just been brainwashed in the subtlest ways, and once it's removed....that's it. You don't want to smoke anymore.
I hope some people will give it a go.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 08:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes
Stats: 200/185/180 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thank you for the post Lauza.

I first heard of this book on the Ellen show (apparently, she used it to quit smoking. She couldn't say enough good things about it). I then saw the rave reviews on Amazon. But I always take those reviews with a grain of salt.

So a first hand experience like yours is helpful.

I’ve been an on and off smoker for 25 years. Unfortunately, I’m mostly an “on” smoker. I’ve stopped a few times, twice for over 2 years, but I’ve always ended up back to cigarettes.

I’m going to give Carr’s book a read.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 07:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress:

Lauza CONGRATULATIONS!!! I quit using Allen Carr's Easy Way on July 2nd (the evening of my best friends weddign reception!!!) I just couldn't wait to start my new life. One of the biggest things that shocked me was the cigarettes in the car to and from wherever: I didn't think that I would be able to drive anywhere without being tormented by thoughts of cigarettes. I will admit the first few days were different, but now I don't even notice anymore. Call Allen Carr what you want but he help me set myself free.