Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

He is retired now, according to what is reported when he participated in a discussion about an omega-3 study in 2006.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 12:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Mega-dosing fish oil seems to do good things for me, energy wise, and calming down inflammation in a shoulder injury from a few years back. During my manic episode it stopped making much difference, so I sort of stopped taking it. Now that I'm back to what counts as normal for me, I went out and bought a bottle of fish oil, and it makes a real difference again. I haven't found myself trapped in my apartment by SA since I bought that bottle, but that's only since friday, so I guess I'll see.
  #123   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-11, 22:19

Plan: Kwasniewski
Stats: 120/132/115 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -240%

if the omega 3 i take says the epa to dha ratio is 3:1 is that okay?
  #124   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 02:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom10
if the omega 3 i take says the epa to dha ratio is 3:1 is that okay?
Usually in fish oil the ratio of EPA 3 parts <> DHA 2 parts

EXAMPLE
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 180 mg †
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 120 mg

I prefer to use a liquid fish oil (that way I can taste if it's beginning to go rancid (smelly) but as I keep mine in the fridge and NEVER let the bottle get to room temperature that's never been a problem.

I think the amount of omega 3 in total is more important than the ratio of EPA to DHA though I accept they do have different actions in the brain/body so it depends partly on if you are wanting to improve depression or ADHD or if you're more into reducing triglycerides/blood pressure.

The key factor that prevents most people benefitting from omega 3 is the current high OMEGA 6 intake and current high omega 6 status.
Interesting trial here showing the benefits of OMEGA 6 intake reduction while supplementing with omega 3. but again a 12 week trial is far too short to make a significant difference to chronic pain thresholds.
The half life of omega 6 in the body is 2yrs so starting with a level above 20 times omega 6 to omega 3 if you take an effective amount of omega 3 while elimating as far as possible these days soya oil and the rest of the omega 6 industrial seed oils, what will your status be in 2 yrs time.
Still around 10<>1 and only by 4 yrs after starting will it be below 5<>1 and the omega 3 will be able to establish itself in cell membranes.

I don't really think anyone really believes that if you take a couple of tiny omega 3 capsules these have the ability to magically transform and rebuild every single cell in your body overnight or even over 12 weeks.
It took you 30~50? years to get your current omega 6 excess and only if you stop consuming commercial seed oils will you see a decline in omega 6 levels (assuming you keep topping up the omega 3 side of the scales) but with a half life of 2yrs it won't happen overnight (but that's not to say other benefits of omega 3 supplementation won't happen, suicide risk will reduce in depressed people within days, similarly the benefits regarding shorter hospital stay (quicker healing) are measurable after 14days supplementation.
But for those looking for reduction in chronic pain it took me 3 yrs minimum.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 10:26

BF:

thank you (dr ) hutchinson. i also had a question for you about magnesium. any info would be very appreciated.
if you take 200 mgs 3 times a day... would you be absorbing that? somewhere i read you wrote that it would be better to take 100 mg at a time because it's easier to absorb smaller doses. ps i'm having trouble finding 100 mg pills.
i am also wondering if non-albion is very untrusted because i just bought a bottle of mag glycinate and i don't know if i should bother taking it or just get the albion kind? i'm not sure if you could really comment on that maybe i just have to decide what i'm willing to spend...
lastly i also read about magnesium water in one of your posts. i believe you said you don't have to use carbonated water for that, you could just use regular water, but i didn't quite understand how that would work. and in another post you mentioned you were going to try just adding magnesium oxide to water--have you tried that?
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
if you take 200 mgs 3 times a day... would you be absorbing that? somewhere i read you wrote that it would be better to take 100 mg at a time because it's easier to absorb smaller doses.
I agree that 100mg 6 x daily would be better absorbed than 3x 200mg but I'm not brilliant and getting it right 3x daily so I know I'd fail with the 6 x daily option.
That's one of the reasons why I make magnesium bicarbonate water and use that in my drinks through the day.
Good article here on magnesium absorption

Quote:
ps i'm having trouble finding 100 mg pills.
These are 100mg each capsule. Code ~~~~~~ saves initial $5 discount

Quote:
i am also wondering if non-albion is very untrusted because i just bought a bottle of mag glycinate and i don't know if i should bother taking it or just get the albion kind?
I can't bear waste, I'm sure you will get some absorption so anything is better than none. You certainly won't absorb any if you bin them.

Quote:
lastly i also read about magnesium water in one of your posts. i believe you said you don't have to use carbonated water for that, you could just use regular water, but i didn't quite understand how that would work.
I probably said I don't buy carbonated water. I use ordinary tap water which I carbonate at home with a soda stream. You have to buy replaceable carbon dioxide cylinders and that injects carbon dioxide into the water and makes it fizzy.
You then add the magensium hydoxide 45mg put the cap on shake it up put in fridge, shake it up a bit a few more times and after a bit it goes clear and stays clear when you shake it up again and the sides of the plastic soda stream bottle go all crunched up, sucked in, and then you can pour a third of that concentrate into a 4 litre flagon of plain water and your ready to go. .
I sometimes have to add a bit more fizz to the concentrate to make it go perfectly clear.

Quote:
and in another post you mentioned you were going to try just adding magnesium oxide to water--have you tried that?
It's on it's way and I'll try it as soon as it arrives so next week I'll report back but I can't see why mixing 2.75g in 500ml water won't turn into magensium hydroxide mixture..
I'm sure some chemist will correct me if I'm wrong.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 23:04

BF:

ok, thanks for all these details. how will you know if your magnesium oxide works? if your symptoms of magnesium depletion don't return?
anyway- i will be interested to hear those results.
  #128   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 02:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
ok, thanks for all these details. how will you know if your magnesium oxide works?
I'll be able to compare taste/texture/PH of home made magnesium hydroxide with the bottle of bought magnesium hydroxide. I'll also be able to see if it reacts in the same way in carbonated water and if it clears and the bottle crinkles up to the same extent.

Quote:
if your symptoms of magnesium depletion don't return?
I'm afraid that isn't an option. We are talking about a long term result of consuming less magnesium daily than our body ideally requires. We know the average adult currently consumes considerably less than the official RDA and most people who understand the role of magnesium in the body will say the RDA should be higher. 500~700mg/d is probably safer.

It's possible that people with atrial fibrillation would be in a better place to comment on the absorption/effectiveness of DIY magnesium hydroxide mixture as they get symptoms immediately plasma magnesium levels drop.

But for most of us it's a diagnosis of heart disease, diabetes or Alzheimer's that may, if we've a smart enough doctor, reveal magnesium deficiency and that's too late to be helpful.