Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 00:21
Registered Member

Plan: sort of atkins
Stats: 320/308/230 Male 204cm
BF:
Progress: 13%
Unhappy Lower back pain - HELPP!!

Last night driving home I got a puncture. Pulled over and changed the wheel in the darkness. It wasn't easy as the wheel has never been off the car and things were rusted solid. Getting back into the car I felt a twinge in my lower back, indicatating I'd probably pulled something.

Well, this morning I'm in agony. Getting dressed, the motion of standing up or sitting down have me yelping out loud and holding on to furniture for support. I'm popping paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain, but can anyone recommend any exercises to help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 07:52

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default For today, no.

When it's acute like that, no, I'm not sure exercise is the best option. Rest it, with some motion. When it's not screaming--can you find a Neuro Muscular Therapist? I've had great back-pain help from them. Different from "normal" massage; in some places, they'll claim "deep tissue" but that's not quite as good as the real NMT.

When I do back hyperextentions regularly, along with a baby-routine of situps, squats, and pull- and pushups, I don't have pain. When I am pain-free regularly, I "forget" to train, and then I'll do something that hurts.

A yoga routine built from the Ali McGraw tape also helps keep me conscious of what's happening.

AAA has prevented a lot of backaches, too, but that won't help you today.

Topicals--for me, I would try ice today, and aspercreme, and save the heat for a bit later.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 12:07

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

Chronic Back Pain Tips:

Don't twist.
Getting out of the car: swing both legs out of the car first before standing up.
Bend over by supporting your weight with your arms first.
Get up by pulling with your arms too.
I like Doan's. I find after a few doses, it helps.
Use shower water to apply moist heat. Moist heat works best. I like the "beat me to death" setting on the shower massage.
Ice always just seizes me up.
No sudden movements.
Sneezing HURTS. Support yourself if you feel one coming on.
Rest only normal amounts, unless you're really hurt.
Don't pick up anything heavier than 10 lbs. for a while.

Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 12:33

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

It isn't necessarliy muscular. I thought mine was too, but it turns out to be a herniated 5th lumbar disk. You might consider a doctor or chiropractor.

As noted above, give it rest. Exercise is more preventative than curative here. Sitting is the worst position; avoid it as much as possible. My doctor told more that sitting puts more pressure on it than even running on pavement. Can you spend the weekend standing, walking and lying down (ie, no sitting)?

I hope you feel better soon. Try an ice pack. Most people find relief with ice.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 23:17

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Once you are back on your feet and able to work out, I would strongly suggest functional training.

Supermans are my favorite for strengthening the lower back. I have beginners use the floor and then progress them to the ball. Here are some pictures.

http://www.xcskiworld.com/training/Drills/Superman.htm

http://www.onlinefit.com/health/index.cfm/Exercise/257

http://www.byrn.org/gtips/core.htm
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-04, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207.5/201.5/165 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default rest and Physical Therapy

I have worked out most of my adult life and now back pain has me in PT and resting. Just started back on weights yesterday.

I no longer do anything with impact. I am going to try biking again, but no walking since it bothers my low back.

I went to an othopedic doc and was told I have arthritis in my back. PT is helping me learn how to move without hurting myself.

Hope it helps.
Elise
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 18:13

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

For three years I had pain in 5th lumbar so bad that I couldn't function much less excercise. I slept in a recliner and never had a day without pain. Some days it was so bad I couldn't move at all.
Diagnosis after x-rays - osteoarthritis with hardly any disk left in the 5th. Prescribed Vioxx which I did't take because of the indicators of heart which my family has history with.
So back to square one which sent me on the internet and the spinal health web site.
One excercise....JUST ONE...has made me pain free ever since.
A stretch that involves lower back, down thru the hamstrings.

After you have gotten better with maybe ice (helped me best usually) and or heat later, try laying on the floor with you legs slightly bent and up. Drape a towel over the bottom of your feet and gently pull your legs with it toward you torso. Only as far as comfortable and hold this stretch for 30 to 90 seconds. Repeat as it feels good and do this daily for a few. It occured to me that my hamstrings were too tight from all the walking and excercising I did, that it effected my lower lumbar in the worst possible way.
I now have been pain free (for the most part) for 2 years. I have to watch how I move in bending etc. but I work out with weights, do abs and back extensions and they don't bother me at all. I even lift pop bottle cases etc.
I am telling everyone I know with lower back pain, and I have gotten nothing but positive feedback thru this stretch.
Its unbelievable that all the practors and docs had rather given me a drug which we now know isn't even safe.

Try it, but also see a doc to get a diagnosis first, so you know what you may be dealing with.
hope it helps
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-06, 23:52
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

My tips for low back problems:

Don't eat carbs.

Use the Swiss ball and do sit-ups and crunches.

http://www.bodyzone.com/custom/ballhug.html

Try inversion therapy (hang upside down) I do it every morning.

http://www.teeterhangups.com/home.html
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-06, 02:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/140 Female 5ft 9inch
BF:
Progress: 0%

I hurt my back a few years ago, It was syatica (i think you spell it that way) I had to go to a sports therapist as I was in agony for nearly 5 months. I had about 5 sessions and he gave me exercises to do and it went in about two months. I hope you find something that helps you. I was told not to bed rest for too long as this can prolong things. I actually noticed it going when I started work and had to spend the whole day filing. I really think the bending and stretching helped. good luck and I hope you feel better soon
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-06, 02:57
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not sure why such an old thread has been revived, but this thread is 2 years old, and the OP has not posted here since. So I'm guessing his back has improved.

Rosebud
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-09, 18:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Well, I for one appreciate this thread, as my decades of slouching at my computer have caught up with me. I exercise 4x/week, but the continuous mid-back pain is starting to take a toll.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-15-09, 13:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/165/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
...decades of slouching at my computer ... continuous mid-back pain

This is a very common complaint. we spend so much time in the arms-forward position between the computer and driving. the chest muscles become tight and constantly pull on the oppossing muscles. that constant day after day pulling up front forces those back muscles to react and they react by tightening up into knots. massage on the painful part is helpful in the short term but for long term relief you need to stretch that chest out.
a great tool for that is called a foam roller. it's a therapy tool you can buy at walmart or online. it's a 6 inch diameter foam noodle. you lay on it. place it on the floor and lay you spine and neck and head on it and let your arms fall to your sides outstretched. you will feel it in your armpit area and the sides of your chest all the way to your sternum. stretch for as long as you are comfortable with. many people get instant relief from back pain with this kind of stretch.
another great tool for a similar effect is the swiss ball. stretch out backwards over it and outstretch your arms like on the foam roller and relax for as long as you're comfortable.
hope it helps!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 14:30

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 185/190/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
My tips for low back problems:

Don't eat carbs.

Use the Swiss ball and do sit-ups and crunches.

http://www.bodyzone.com/custom/ballhug.html

Try inversion therapy (hang upside down) I do it every morning.

http://www.teeterhangups.com/home.html

I have a Teeter and ball; love it.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 11:12

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 185/190/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -14%

I've had bad back issues for 10 years. I ice it ALOT. I have a dozen injuries; multi-level so I stay at an 8-10 level of pain even with meds due to nerve damage. HANG IN THERE!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-13, 15:40

Stats: 247/247/175 Female 65"
BF:too much!
Progress: 0%

I herniated L3,4,5....my neurosurgeon put me on a Medrol dose pack (steroids) and Xanaflex.
I do ice A LOT of ice....only thing that has ever helped me.
I had a nerve block done about 2 yrs ago and it has kept any flares from happening, but I still have to take steroids on an intermittent basis....