Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 12:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Am I over-thinking this? Am I missing something huge and obvious to everyone else? (If so, it wouldn't be the first time!).
Well nothing is obvious to me since I'm only starting to think about this. I didn't even know he had a calculator for protein! I can't even find it

I mentioned elsewhere that if I eat as desired my ratios tend to fall pretty naturally into fat 75%, protein 20%, carb 5 % - which usually puts protein into the 70-90g range. I thought that was a good number and for some gurus it is, but not Naiman. In his DietDoctor interview I read the other day he said that shooting for about 30% of your calories to come from protein is a good target. Going from 20% to 30% seems possibly doable. Carbs remaining the same would allow 65% to come from fat.

But at http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/Macros.html he says that if you have a goal weight, 160 pounds in his example, you should keep your daily protein OVER 160 and your daily fat UNDER 160.

I started mu own original LC journey with Protein Power back in 1997. Yes they wanted folks to eat more protein than seems to be popular now. I think my calculation back then was something like 127g and I had trouble even getting to that number, though I did manage to lose 75 pounds on PP anyway, until I stalled at the same weight I'm stalled today and after being stalled for three years fell face down into the carbs again! Until my reboot in 2006, and now the stall had been 11 years but I haven't fallen face down into the carbs.

But I'm still trying to think of ways to increase protein and decrease fat> I didn't see anything about a 2:1 ratio so not sure where your friend got that.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 12:48

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

If you like calculators, the P:E app is pretty cool. You don't need to use it, but if you want to see where you are, or if you want to use it to analyze food in the store, it will help you pick the best yogurt, or perhaps the best meat/cheese tray, stuff like that.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 12:49

BF:

Does your phone have an app store?
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 13:12

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Huh. Not sure where my friend got that ratio. OK, then, 150 grams of protein, less than 150 grams of fat. But 100 grams of carbs is way too much for me and will make me gain (it has in the past). Because of a real tendency toward diverticulitis, I can't eat much fiber at all, so I stay away from veggies (especially raw), grains, nuts, all fiber. I'll eat some, but not much.

Today my plan sets me at just over 1500 calories with 83 grams of fat, 18 grams new carbs, and 160 grams of protein. I don't always measure like this, but wanted to see what this much food looked like.

Thanks for the info!

About the calculator. I meant more "calculation." On the Macros page of his site, it says to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight. I figured 150 was a good start. Then it says to limit net carbs to 50 grams or less per day, and "balance" fat -- less if you want to lose fat.

Point taken. I was over-thinking things.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 14:31

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm not good at metric so I had to look up the conversion of grams to ounces. Is this right that 160 grams of protein is equal to 5.64 ounces of protein?
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 15:36

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

No, a lot more than that. According to my Fitday, 8 oz beef tenderloin has 44 grams of protein in it, and 6 oz of chicken breast has 48 grams of protein.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 16:11

BF:

For some reason I keep getting 160 grams=5.64oz
I even tried another site
https://www.calculateme.com/weight/grams/to-ounces/160

What am I doing wrong?

Also it says this: An ounce is a unit of weight equal to 1/16th of a pound or about 28.35 grams.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 17:25

BF:

I tried thinking of a lean cut of beef, since a lot of his followers talk about lean meat. Flank steak is pretty lean. I would not just eat a pound of this of course, but an example.

I got this off of fitness pal:

Plain (Flank Steak)
Serving Size: 1 lb, Calories: 832, Fat: 32g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 128g
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 17:28

BF:

He talks about having protein snacks around too - like sugar-free beef jerky. I've been meaning to order some on Amazon. I'm sure that would be pretty easy to use to up protein.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 17:35

BF:

Ah, found some. Tilamook sugar free beef jerky:

1 ounce
70 calories
1.5 grams of fat
0 carbs
14 grams of protein

I would eat more than one ounce
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 18:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
For some reason I keep getting 160 grams=5.64oz
I even tried another site
https://www.calculateme.com/weight/grams/to-ounces/160

What am I doing wrong?

Also it says this: An ounce is a unit of weight equal to 1/16th of a pound or about 28.35 grams.
the 28 grams to 1 ounce are units of weight, not the grams of protein in the food. In the example given below by Key Tones a pound of flank steak has 128g of protein. But in weight the steak also weighs about 448 grams in weight. But a steak is not pure protein.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 21:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
the 28 grams to 1 ounce are units of weight, not the grams of protein in the food. In the example given below by Key Tones a pound of flank steak has 128g of protein. But in weight the steak also weighs about 448 grams in weight. But a steak is not pure protein.

So if it were pure lean protein it would be by the exact weight, right? Or at least minus the moisture weight?

There is so much variation in lean v fat, like with chicken, skin on/skin off, so idk how anyone can truly measure accurately at every single meal eating whole foods.

People drinking those protein shakes of course have a nutritional label to tell them exactly but I don't drink my protein, ever.

I remember this topic and it always leaves me thinking to forget about it. I just count the carbs, then stay away from the starch and all sugar because really it's the carb grams that matter the most because one plate of tater tots or 3-4 cookies or a slice of birthday cake will throw all of it off completely no matter what the protein grams are so that's what I focus on, not eating any sugar and limiting my carbs to some veggies.

When eating I usually stop when full and that's probably 4 oz of meat at a dinner. For first meal I usually have 2-3 eggs but mostly eat the yolk and then have 3-4 slices of bacon and bacon really varies depending on how much fat so better not to give myself a headache trying to track the protein grams.

Eating this way does keep all of my numbers in the normal range. BP and BS is great. I think I'm getting the right amount of protein because physically/strength-wise I feel like I did in my 40s.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Feb-27-20 at 21:22.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 21:48

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Generally speaking, an ounce of raw meat, 1 oz hard cheese, or one egg provides an average of about 6.5 or 7 grams of protein. In the examples above, the tenderloin only has 5.5 g protein per oz, but the chicken breast has 8 g protein per oz.

If you want to weigh eat piece of protein and look up every one of them you eat just to make sure you have an exact number of grams, it's still going to average out to around 6.5 or 7 g protein per oz. (This doesn't apply to things such as bacon or cream cheese, which because of the much higher fat content, have far fewer grams of protein per ounce)

So if you need 150 g of protein, that works out to somewhere between 21 and 23 oz of meat, cheese (each whole egg would count as an ounce of protein), or somewhere between 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 lb total meat/cheese/eggs.

I haven't read enough of his plan to know if he limits cheese or not, but in order to get that much protein at 3 meals, you'd want something like 6-8 oz of protein per meal.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 11:40

BF:

He doesn't give out specific templates. He is a big fan of finding what works for you and following it.

If you are doing high fat low carb and are doing fine, he is going to say that's great, keep doing what you're doing.

If you aren't doing so well, he is going to suggest higher protein. It makes perfect sense. Fat and carbs are the energy portions of the food - nutrients ride with protein.

I can't get into using formulas and calculations. Meat and eggs for about 1/2 of my meals, and leaner protein for the other half (like seafood, lean pot roast, shell fish, I was using 0% greek yogurt and lower fat cottage cheese for a while, but I'm leary because of an of inflammation issue I have, so I'm going to try adding some lean sugar-free beef jerky, when I go out to eat I get crab legs).

I used to spend a lot of energy focusing on macros and what I weigh. Now, I am far more interested in making sure I'm getting my intensive exercises in that Dr. Naiman recommends, and getting my time-restricted feeding windows and IF in place. This is more effective than the many years of obesssing on the food portion that did nothing to help me.

Here is an example. Dr. Naiman points out that fat exist the body via the mitochondria. Intensive exercise doubles the mitochondria. I thought quite a bit about that, and started following his example of doing daily squats, push ups (I use an exercise ball), pull ups (I sit and pull up on bars on an exercise machine, and I also stand and hang from a pull up bar and make attempts), leg lifts (to work the abs) while on the floor mat on my back, etc. I also do my own version of "sprints" without running (examples: rowing, jump rope, jump squats).

Megan Ramos of Jason Fung's program talks quite a bit about the power of time restricted feeding windows. They have some patients that cannot do extended fasts (I think she said some are really sick - they are on dialysis or have other problems) they are disabled with diabetes and can't afford anything but crap food on the government money they live on, yet they lose weight even just eating 2 meals within the 8 hour daily feeding window (aka 16:8), WITH NO SNACKING. They lose weight - I think a lot about this too.

IMHO, exercise, time feeding windows, IF are as important and together more important than calculating macros. You might find, like I do, that it is actually almost impossible to gain weight even during vacation and the holidays eating off plan if you just do these two things (IF/time restricted feeding/no snacks plus intensive exercise). These work like a miracle, and i don't recommend anyone eat crap food, but it is amazing, honestly.

The last thing I want to mention is that Dr. Naiman says waist to height measurement is more important than scale weight. Insulin resistance tracks directly with waist measurement. He looks at whether the waist is 1/2 of your height or less. This one measure alone is as accurate as a number of blood tests as health markers and it something you can do at home. I am only one inch away of my waist being 1/2 of my height (36 inches over 70 inches).
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 11:50

BF:

Quote:
Megan Ramos of Jason Fung's program talks quite a bit about the power of time restricted feeding windows. They have some patients that cannot do extended fasts (I think she said some are really sick - they are on dialysis or have other problems) they are disabled with diabetes and can't afford anything but crap food on the government money they live on, yet they lose weight even just eating 2 meals within the 8 hour daily feeding window (aka 16:8), WITH NO SNACKING. They lose weight - I think a lot about this too.

Hmm, I've been doing 16:8 or even 18:6 most days for YEARS now, (since 2016 when I first discovered Dr. Fung, even before his books were written and he only had a blog) without losing any weight at all. <sigh> lucky me. Exercise is a real struggle for me though, though I am trying to get a little better about it.